It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth About ADHD and Public Schools

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
As well as a lack of exercise I think this may also be related to the easy access of entertainment more than anything else. Studies have proven that the speed in which we can get information via the internet these days has shortened everybody's attention spans. Couple that with TV, music, video games and movies is it any wonder that kids have trouble sitting still during dreary school lessons?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
For everyone who's had a child diagnosed with ADHD: medication isn't the only answer. If you are against medication (and I completely understand why you might be), then there are "behavior modifications" that the teacher can try. You can find these by googling alternative to medicine for ADHD.

To use these methods, you have to be consistent. That means at school and at home. Its difficult, but can be done.

Also, remember that as a child ages, he matures. If you choose to do the medicine route, you should ask your doctor to reevaluate every summer. Let the doctor direct it, but taking the child off meds during the summer will let you see if his maturity has advanced enough that the medication is no longer necessary.

Hope this helps some of you. That was the purpose of this thread, to try and explain why ADHD diagnosis is on the rise and ways you can help your child if the teacher is pushing you to see the doctor.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Hey there Smylee!

I grew up with some pretty horrible ADHD. I mean, it could NOT be mistaken for anything else. Watch me for 30 seconds and you would have had no doubt whatsoever. I grew out of it, learned to "roboticize" myself and control everything. Half of it came from my overactive emotions, so I keep my heart on a very short leash.

ADHD is nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, when it's harnessed, it can be one of the most powerful motivating factors in any project you can think of. ADHD is coffee for kids. Teach them how to channel it, and you'll often be rewarded with some of the smartest youngsters you've ever met.

Thanks for posting this thread.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Many people don't realize that food allergies, especially to wheat (dairy for some too) mimics ADD/ADHD. Gluten intolerance and Celiac Disease should always be suspected, especially in a child who shows allergy symptoms, stomach problems, skin issues etc. These conditions are very common and becoming more common in the general population. Testing IMO is a waste of time. The best way to test is to do a three week elimination test. Eat a gluten free diet during that time and the results for many will be quite surprising yet helpful.

Also add vitamin D3 (4000 to 5000 IU a day) and fish oil to the diet.

Run a google search: celiac gluten intolerance ADD ADHD

There is tons of information out there.

Doctors are woefully under-educated in nutrition.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

As someone who was diagnosed with ADHD when I was very young, I found that I actually improved when put into higher-level classes. I was a part of the gifted and talented programs growing up, and also doing 2nd and 3rd grade work while in 1st grade. They wanted me to actually skip 3rd grade and move to 4th after 2nd because I was such a smart kid. I actually got my GED at 17 and graduated an excellerated college (New classes every 5 weeks) at 18 years old with a GPA of 3.79.

I think that's part of the problem with kids being diagnosed as ADHD; they're bored. They aren't getting the mental stimuli that they need at that age, so they're becoming bored and unresponsive. Instead of treating this disease as such, those with this or diagnosed as such should be tested to see their mental capacity and see if it's boredom causing the symptoms and low-scores with work. When a child gets bored with the work because it's too easy for them, they won't do it. At least, I never did my work.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Seems to me, it's just the natural response of a student who could care less about the material presented, and thus acts out accordingly. Who would have thought such a thing would occur when you cram all students through the exact same curriculum, not taking into account a students stronger, or weaker areas of interest. Methinks that an alternative form of teaching should be devised for the ADHD individuals, as opposed to creating new Adam Lanzas and Jared Loughners by doping the crap out of them.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
So, what do you do if your child’s teacher suggests your child might have a problem with attention? First of all, ask about the amount of PE and recess on any given day. Also, ask if the teacher uses “brain breaks” and “movement breaks” throughout the day. For example, when I notice my students are starting to squirm or lose focus, we take a five minute break and dance to youtube videos. Even just five minutes can make a huge difference in how the child focuses and behaves.

Now, I’ve left out a lot of information about ADHD, brain development, medication, and more, but I fear this may be too long for most people anyway. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I might not know the answer, but I’m more than happy to try and find one for you.

Sources
Recess

stats

ADHD
edit on 28-1-2013 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

That is actually a great idea. I'm guessing you didn't end up giving the parents of your students F's? Lol.

Seriously though, great idea to incorporate a little break when the students start losing focus.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Damn i think i might adult ADHD, what should i do?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I simply do not believe more than 20% of children labled ADHD actually have such a disorder.

Having an 8 yo myself, I see how profoundly different the world is for him from what it was for me at that age.....

The degree of stimulus and information that surrounds children today alone likely accounts for what is otherwise probably 'normal' adaptive behavior.

Our children havent changed...the world has.

edit on 30-1-2013 by loam because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join