It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mali Official Says Militants Trashing Ancient Manuscripts as French Troops Surround Timbuktu

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This practice of destroying historical manuscripts and artifacts is really beginning to anger me greatly. This has been done by different groups throughout history, but I thought it was coming to an end as the importance of historical evidence has risen, but apparently Islamic extremists don't see it that way. Anything that does not fit within the spectrum of Islam is not important to the World, it seems, according to these people. From the destruction of the giant Buddha cliff carvings and other ancient locations to the most recent destruction of manuscripts in Timbuktu. I just have a hard time understanding their logic in destroying human history and artifacts that can not be replaced.

Apparently, with the encroachment of French and Mali forces this morning, Islamic extremists set fire to a library containing the ancient books of geography, science and the history of Timbuktu and its people. A section of human history is now all but lost to future generation all because of extremist views on Islam. It is good to know that some of the documents were saved, moved, and hidden but it should not have happened in the first place.

To read the article please visit: CBS News Source article

Excerpts:

Islamist extremists torched a library containing historic manuscripts in Timbuktu, the mayor said Monday, as French and Malian forces closed in on Mali's fabled desert city.

Ousmane Halle said he heard about the burnings early Monday.

"It's truly alarming that this has happened," he told The Associated Press by telephone from Mali's capital, Bamako, on Monday. "They torched all the important ancient manuscripts. The ancient books of geography and science. It is the history of Timbuktu, of its people."

During their rule, the militants have systematically destroyed UNESCO World Heritage sites in Timbuktu.

Among the tombs they destroyed is that of Sidi Mahmoudou, a saint who died in 955, according to the UNESCO website.

Timbuktu, long a hub of Islamic learning, is also home to some 20,000 manuscripts, some dating back as far as the 12th century. Owners have succeeded in removing some of the manuscripts from Timbuktu to save them, while others have been carefully hidden away from the Islamists.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Agarta. Senseless acts, such as this one, are not a blow to only part of Human History. It's the rape of the History of all Mankind. I fear for us as a species, when I read of these horrible acts.

Des

edit on 28-1-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Nothing angers me more than senseless destruction of antiquities.

Edit: This makes me mad enough that I had to edit my post to add one more

edit on 28-1-2013 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

If the United Nations had any purpose besides that which we blame it for frequently, I would think it's purpose would be to peacefully intervene and prevent the destruction of valuable manuscripts and artifacts which aid in anthropological and cultural studies. World heritage sites and possessions should be saved through world wide efforts..

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Sheer idiocy.These acts should be treated as war crimes but of course won't be.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
All those who other threw others in the past used to do that. It is not a new concept. Even the Christians did that throughout the ages. That is why we have a hard time finding out what is real or not.

I read somewhere that the Muslim extremists wanted to destroy the Pyramids also. I think this action of destroying history so your way can be pushed on future generations is wrong. Trouble is that we all still do that same thing, the victor still writes the history all over the world and replaces the history with their own. Maybe we don't destroy ancient structures and texts in the USA but we do destroy cultures heritage and traditions today. We use science that has set parameters and consensus of the time to destroy cultures reputations.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Thank you all for you replies. I understand these archeological atrocities against Mankind are basically limited to areas that have been taken over by these extremists but the thought just occurred to me that maybe we should up the security of other locations world wide. It would be a great loss to Mankind if one or more of the major historical locations were attacked like the Smithsonian, La Louvre, The British museum, the countless locations in Egypt, south America etc. Maybe we should think about letting them know that any further destruction of archeological locations could result in the total destruction of the Dome of the Rock in retaliation. I know this is a stupid idea and should never be done but I am so angered over their total disregard for human history and something must be done to let them know we will not stand for this senseless destruction. I mean Timbuktu was/is a location of higher Islamic learning so what was/is the real point in burning it?

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Maybe we should think about letting them know that any further destruction of archeological locations could result in the total destruction of the Dome of the Rock in retaliation.

While I understand the sentiment, then we would only be as guilty as they are in the destruction of history. That being said, a VERY strong message does need to be sent to those that commit these crimes to prevent further loss of our world's treasures.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

I agree with you, it was a thought out of anger and would solve nothing if not make matters worse. Most people that have read my news threads know I really try to remain non-biased in what I post(at least in the OP), but this one I just could not do it. I just don't know how to express it. I mean we, the people of the world, could protest, but the extremists would not even bat an eye. The only thing they understand or even pay attention to is violence and destruction.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Bunch of pussies. Unfortunetly for them, those texts will still be around after they are long gone.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
What a horrible thing to do. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Unfortunately, they look upon all others as "infidels". Therefore, they probably enjoyed destroying their historical Manuscripts.

Like you said, this is a repeat of history, as one group tries to destroy another group. Along with that comes the destruction of their enemies history. One group who thinks that they are Superior to another.

Shame this had to happen in today's time tho.

Much respect~
snarky

S&F

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
come on you lot...WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ITS THE FRENCH BURNING DOCUMENTS

why would they burn their own info they were keeping for 1000s of yrs lololol

1) this is a report comming from the french military spokesman
2) there are reports of "islamists"...rescuing documents...which the media has spun to.."them stealing" lololol

these documents prove/show, what tribe owns what, who has rights to what land etcetc

probably from the time of Musa...the richest person who ever lived

the islamists story is BS
about 80% of frances nuclear reactors run on uranium from Mali

islamists..lol
tut tut
proper propaganda from the proper pricks of this earth

still...peace
edit on 28-1-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
reply to post by Agarta

Maybe we should think about letting them know that any further destruction of archeological locations could result in the total destruction of the Dome of the Rock in retaliation.

While I understand the sentiment, then we would only be as guilty as they are in the destruction of history. That being said, a VERY strong message does need to be sent to those that commit these crimes to prevent further loss of our world's treasures.

But looking at it another way, these extremists (wow, I even controlled myself from typing what I really wanted to call them) aren't afraid of death. so it's a case of finding something that they might be afraid of losing and I think agarta may have hit it on the head. If they were made aware that every time they try to destroy ancient documents or ancient buildings etc, then they would lose, one of their holiest of holies eg dome of rock etc.
But then we would have the hassle of the extremist extremists that would set up a false flag to cause things to happen. sheesh, why on earth did their mothers even conceive these types.

As I'm typing this I'm trying to think of solutions and unfortunately, the only solution I can think of is violence. Covert, ongoing removal, one bad egg at a time. Please, somebody, find a different solution.
edit on 28-1-2013 by greatfriendbadfoe because: sp

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Unfortunately the "extremists come to us courtesy of the CIA and other "intelligence agencies" who are funding and arming the Islamic revolutions to destabilise these countries for the pickings of their resources as they gladly loan them money for the guns and arms they provide and take resources for pennies on the dollar....
Inflating and destroying the economies of countries to create better business climate for the corporate greed......
We made Islam their only refuge and we made the people who distorted it too.....

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
come on you lot...WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ITS THE FRENCH BURNING DOCUMENTS

why would they burn their own info they were keeping for 1000s of yrs lololol

1) this is a report comming from the french military spokesman
2) there are reports of "islamists"...rescuing documents...which the media has spun to.."them stealing" lololol

these documents prove/show, what tribe owns what, who has rights to what land etcetc

probably from the time of Musa...the richest person who ever lived

the islamists story is BS
about 80% of frances nuclear reactors run on uranium from Mali

islamists..lol
tut tut
proper propaganda from the proper pricks of this earth

still...peace
edit on 28-1-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

You have no idea what you are talking about, the extremists that have been terrorizing the people of Mali are foreigners, from Nigeria Somalia Uganda Yemen and the Sudan, and are wahibists. The people of Mali have their own brand of Islam and have been fight the jihadists for years now.
Andi hate to tell you wahibism has been inciting violence in the Islamic world against other Muslims for a lotonger than the CIA has been around.
Just look at what is going on in every country involved in Arab spring uprisings, the wahibists are trying to force their form of Islam on the people.
Just look at what is going on in eygypt this very moment, as soon as they got power they are trying to consolidate their position at the expense of the Egyptian people.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

its all BS dude

fix up

peace

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
reply to post by punkinworks10

its all BS dude

fix up

peace

Give me one good reason why on earth the french would do that? You make no sense and this act fits perfect in the stories and yt vids weve seen about these extremists.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

That was awesome, dude. Other conspiracy theorists don't need facts to believe what they believe, but you don't even need a story: you're happy to make it all up yourself. That's way, way, way Above Top Screwball, sorry, Secret.

You have any evidence that French troops are burning Malian manuscripts? Oh, right. Sorry I asked.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

thats cute

i can say exactly the same...and more....about you claiming people from Mali are burning their own documents
the same day the french are there

they are 1000s of years old dude

btw...same thing with the library of alexandria
librarys in somalia
librarys in germany
south africa

when you destroy these documents, no one can prove or dispute, anything with the incomming force

good luck trying to prove you own that land where the uranium is lololol

your belief that the Malians done this...is more crazy, then me thinking it was the french

peace
edit on 29-1-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join