Jesus was a Buddhist?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Please don't "lecture" you?

I'm trying to present you with very thorough and legitimate cross-referencing so that you can be fully informed. But, whatever.

Buddha, that is Siddhartha Gautama, taught that God was unknowable and indescribable. He did not teach that God was a "thinking, judging, human-like thing". Ever. Therefore, when asked how does one "talk to God," he said it was "inappropriate", because God is NOT A PERSON.

Furthermore, NuT, the truth is that the Trinity was ALSO developed as a way to express the ineffabilty of the Supreme Godhead; with a "dogma" - that is, unspeakable and mysterious and beyond comprehension. Three aspects; only manifestations of something completely beyond humans' ability to grasp, relate to, or "know."

Jesus was a mystic. Whether or not he studied with Buddhists is beside the point. His story has been blatantly and flagrantly re-inivented. Sorry if you don't like it, but I believe Ms Armstrong knows better than you do.

The Early Jews did NOT teach "Original Sin" either, and this ghastly idea of a vengeful, jealous, punitive, nasty God was also discredited. But, if you want to persist in believing the Bible is literal, no amount of evidence or research or scholarship is going to convince you. You are where you are.....and before Jesus, way before Jesus, the prophets and rabbis and priests were teaching many of the same things he did. If you wish to remain stuck, or stopped and parked, that's your prerogative, however. I wish you no ill.

In fact, I wish you relief.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Buddhism IS A WAY OF LIFE!

It is not about worshipping buddha as god or anything else. Mortals when praying to him, is only honoring him as a teacher who had taught well and alleviated much of their sufferings, the way many other mainstream religions pray to their teachers, NOT as God, but the intercessories to reach God.

Buddha had NEVER claimed to be god. He would have laughed at such notions, for to him, the greatest achievement of a mortal is to reach Nirvana - final freedom to drift amongst the cosmos, becoming nothingness, the ceasetasion of all existance.

The responsiblities of being our common Creator, let alone challange Him, would be insane and beyond ANY comprehension by any higher being, let alone lower beings such as us.

But, as he taught and as understood by him, achieving such a state is not easy, for it would take many lifetime of rebirths. through pain, joy, suffering and enlightenment.

Go back to the SOURCE, if one truly seeks to comprehend Buddhism, and not from 2nd hand teachings. Buddha had compressed thousands years of teachings from indian mystics into simplified texts so that many more may comprehend.

Taoism may share similar characteristics, but simplified, its teachings from the chinese mystics is to go with the flow., which was supposed to be ordained by Heaven.

The only drawback of their teachings is that it failed to comprehend the base nature of mankind - barbarism - to twists such esoteric teachings to their ambitions, and thus the sufferings of dynastic painful changes throughout the course of China's civilisation.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Okay, if that's the case. Amend my original post to say:

No, Jesus certainly wasn't a buddhist. He believed in a personal God and prayed to Him numerous times per day, and in fact said that He not only came from heaven, but had been with God, His Father. And His personal God had audible dialogue with Christ.

So, no, couldn't possibly be a buddhist who don't believe in that type of god.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I thought he studied the way of the Nazarene's. Jesus of Nazareth, he wasn't born in Nazareth. Some called him Amen, hence the name at the end of the prayer. Amun was the protector of the poor and needy, not of the rich. Amun was a part of the Nazarene religion of that time, a bunch of guys who wore white robes.

I think I would have liked to have known Buddha in person, he seems like he would be a good guy. I wouldn't have minded knowing Jesus either, he seemed like a nice guy.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

No one called Him amen. Amen in Hebrew means "let it be". It's like saying in English we call some guy "so be it".

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

It's about cultural differences in categorization and the non-duality of the Absolute, UT. The personal/impersonal dichotomy is false.

There are many supernatural figures in Buddhism but they are categorized in a way that a typical Christian can't translate. Not enough cross-cultural currency in their myopic pockets.

edit on 29-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

So are "Christanity" and "Islam" and "Judaism."

Buddha had NEVER claimed to be god.

Neither did Jesus.

edit on 29-1-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

No, Jesus certainly wasn't a buddhist. He believed in a personal God and prayed to Him numerous times per day, and in fact said that He not only came from heaven, but had been with God, His Father. And His personal God had audible dialogue with Christ.

His "personal God"? He actually IS SAID TO HAVE taught the same thing that was attributed to Yahweh saying at the council of El.

"No more mockery of justice! No more favoring of the wicked!....You too are gods, sons of El Elyon, all of you..."

and so on and so forth. Jesus did not teach anything brand new -- but he took what he'd learned, which was news-to-them (the Jews), and tried his best to get the message across. What did he find? They wouldn't have it.
He said that everyone had come from God.....and had the divine spark, JUST AS HE DID, and could do the things that he did.

We've gone round and round on this one, you and I, NuT. Did you watch the video in the OP?

Audible? To whom?? Someone heard God talking to him?

edit on 29-1-2013 by wildtimes because: ugh. formatting, syntax, and accuracy.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

He never said everyone came from God and was likewise divine as He was. In fact, He told the Pharisees their father was satan.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

So is "Christanity" and "Islam" and "Judaism.

Buddha had NEVER claimed to be god.

Neither did Jesus.

Au contraire... that's why the Jews wanted Him murdered, for blasphemy:

link.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

He never said everyone came from God and was likewise divine as He was. In fact, He told the Pharisees their father was satan.

According to WHOM?
You have yet to explain "audible", and you have yet to acknowledge that HE DIDN'T WRITE ANYTHING DOWN!

According to the "scriptures", he never claimed to be divine! That "idea" was tacked on much later. Do you actually not know the history of the Nicene Creed? How it came to be? And that at the end, they simply tacked on, "And we believe in the Holy Spirit."

And yes, he did say that everyone came from God. The "son of Man" theme was centuries old by the time Jesus "showed up" to the Pharisees!

Okay, but....whatever. Sorry for upsetting your apple cart; I know these things are contentious.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Try a more open-minded, scholarly approach to the actual discovered history, my friend. I looked at your link...."y-jesus" is not exactly an unbiased source.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Try a more open-minded, scholarly approach to the actual discovered history, my friend. I looked at your link...."y-jesus" is not exactly an unbiased source.

That my friend.. is a circumstantial ad hominem argument.

Linky link..

edit on 29-1-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Yes, I know full well about the Nicean Council. Remember just recently I showed you as a matter of fact, that the purpose of the council was to address the Arian heresy and had nothing to do with the books of the Bible? At the council they didn't vote to make Christ God, they voted on how to precisely define His deity.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

No one called Him amen. Amen in Hebrew means "let it be". It's like saying in English we call some guy "so be it".

2 Cor 1:20

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I belive Jesus survived the crufixition when the roman soldier periced his side.In doing so water and blood poured out.That roman soldier Longinus was battled field Centurian and knew that Jesus was suffering from a collapsed lung,By pericing his side and not breaking the legs he surived.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

And, No, Jesus did NOT say he was "The Son of God."

Are you claiming that the gospels are incorrect?

He did not ever claim to be God... That is a fact according to scripture...

BUT he did claim to be the son of God according to the same books.

Are you saying that little bit of information was added after the fact?

Because there is no evidence of this from the original texts

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

In Him (Jesus) all the promises of God are yes and let it be so.

That doesn't say He was called amen. Amen means "so be it/let it be so".

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

That isnt true. That's why He was murdered. For the blasphemy of claiming to be God, the Great I AM.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Claiming to be "the son of God" is equal to saying I am God to his accusers...

He did not say I AM GOD... Only that he was sent by the ONE

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join