It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Star Trek' Prototype Tractor Beam Developed By Scientists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Ok, this is cool:

Simply put, this technology utilizes a beam of light to attract objects, according to the University of St. Andrews in Scotland. In "Star Trek," tractor beams were often used to pull spaceships and other objects closer to the focal point of the light source attached to another ship. Researchers at St. Andrews and the Institute of Scientific Instruments, or ISI, in the Czech Republic have figured out a way of generating an optical field that can reverse the radiation pressure of light.

Check out the Full Article

edit on 1/28/2013 by mcx1942 because: edit

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Looks like there is much work to be done still for this to put forth towards objects with greater mass but like everything, baby steps first. The use alone in the medical field will be priceless, not to mention military use as well.

"The practical applications could be very great, very exciting," Cizmar told the BBC. "The tractor beam is very selective in the properties of the particles it acts on, so you could pick up specific particles in a mixture. Eventually, this could be used to separate white blood cells, for example."
from the article

I am so amazed the steps we as humans are taking each and everyday. We are quite the explorers.

At this time the team is able to move tiny particles, on a microscopic level. Moving large objects takes too much energy at the moment but as we know, tech gets better with time. This will be a cool one to follow.
edit on 1/28/2013 by mcx1942 because: edit

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

Close but it's a start.

The people of Belgium saw a different Star Trek tractor beam in 1989.
It's the round section in the center.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

That quote is pretty awesome. Right now when you donate plasma, they use a centerfuge to spin the blood and seperate out the plasma. Perhaps this technology could be used to shorten the time it takes to donate?

I know when I was a broke college student I'd donate plasma twice a week for a total of about $200/mo. It took about an hour and a half each time, so a total of 12 hours/mo which is about $16/hr. Not to shabby for just sitting there reading your course material!

Is it just me, or does it seem that Mr. Gene Roddenberry seemed to "know" the direction of future scientific advances? Tablet computers, talking computers, warp drives, tricorders and now tractor beams?!

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

That quote is pretty awesome. Right now when you donate plasma, they use a centerfuge to spin the blood and seperate out the plasma. Perhaps this technology could be used to shorten the time it takes to donate?
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I guess that would depend on how quickly it can attract stuff and how much energy it takes. I also notice in the article that there is a problem with the process which causes whatever is being attracted to heat up. Probably not good for plasma

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Indeed, I would imagine we are still very far away from this prototype to the finished product. Maybe 50 plus years I would reckon. Still, we got to start somewhere. This reminds me of the machine that can levitate objects but can only levitate very small items and the machine is huge. Or like old computers filling a room to do less than we can do now on our small smart phones.

I wish I could pretend to understand the science behind all this, it is mind blowing to me.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Nice I wonder if this can be improved upon to move mountains!

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Saw this news clip and thought it was quite informitive on the tractor beam technology.

Scientists Invented The Best Tractor Beam Ever!

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   
The original article is a couple of years old and, as you point out, it only works on very small particles. It utilizes the forces produced when two laser beams converge on the particle.
Original Paper

There is similar technology which works on slightly larger objects, but not in space.
www.cnet.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Heres a thought have a tractor beam as a propulsion system and have the ship being propelled down the tractor beam. Like swimming through the air or space!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I imagine this could be combined with other technologies to move particles that we couldnt normally move.

Think light saber to move plasma and hold it in a field!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
As a complete aside, Star Trek: deep space 9 is the greatest series ever made....seasons 3-7 are beyond excellent..
I am going to binge watche it this weekend....thank you for this thread which reminded me of ds9..

-Christosterone

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I imagine if a group reactors were hooked up to this tech a country could move mountains. .. . . .Literaly!

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord
Yep. Them would be some purdy powerful lasers. More likely to burn holes in the mountains than move them though.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Just think we could use this as a new method of transportation to beam everywhere we need to go!

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Just think we could use this as a new method of transportation to beam everywhere we need to go!

That's from the patent app for a thermoelectric converter. While it has lots of cool sciency words in, perhaps you can explain how you think it's a way to "beam everywhere you go".

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

That's from the patent app for a thermoelectric converter. While it has lots of cool sciency words in, perhaps you can explain how you think it's a way to "beam everywhere you go".

Look heres a video that pretty much explains, just think more power and bigger!

edit on 3-11-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

No. No, it doesn't. The video is about using a laser in optical tweezer mode. At least that's the only way that exists. The thing you keep posting over and over is about a thermoelectric converter, which has absolutely nothing whatever to do with the video, or the topic, except there's a picture that looks crudely like an image from the video.

In other words, you managed to do one of your usual keyword-search-not-understanding-the-cite things. Please. Try, TRY to read, watch, listen and understand. Keywords and image matching are not your friend.

Further, optical tweezers are spectacularly limited in force, as what is doing the pushing is the light pressure. By the time you get enough of it to lift some object more than a few micrograms, you're going to get a smoky foof and the object is going to be gone. It won't lift a mountain. Nor a pool ball.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   

No. No, it doesn't. The video is about using a laser in optical tweezer mode. At least that's the only way that exists. The thing you keep posting over and over is about a thermoelectric converter, which has absolutely nothing whatever to do with the video, or the topic, except there's a picture that looks crudely like an image from the video.

In other words, you managed to do one of your usual keyword-search-not-understanding-the-cite things. Please. Try, TRY to read, watch, listen and understand. Keywords and image matching are not your friend.

Further, optical tweezers are spectacularly limited in force, as what is doing the pushing is the light pressure. By the time you get enough of it to lift some object more than a few micrograms, you're going to get a smoky foof and the object is going to be gone. It won't lift a mountain. Nor a pool ball.

No no no you have to start thinking outside the box dude! There is no limit to what we can do if we put our minds to it! This tech could be combined with other technology like magnetic fields and acoustic levitation to become some new form of travel. Duuuuuuude there is soooo much we could do! Just open your mind to the possibilities!

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   

No no no you have to start thinking outside the box dude! There is no limit to what we can do if we put our minds to it! This tech could be combined with other technology like magnetic fields and acoustic levitation to become some new form of travel. Duuuuuuude there is soooo much we could do! Just open your mind to the possibilities!

Basic understanding of the fundamentals is where you need to start. "This looks sorta like that" or "the same words pop up in a google search so this must be related to that" are not your friend on the road to how things work.

You can't "think outside the box" until you understand the box, what the box is made of, how boxes are shaped, and what side of the box you're in.

Otherwise you're doing the mental equivalent of a fish flopping on a bank. Posting a thermal converter patent number over and over while talking about space drives or levitation is a sign of this. Go put some of that curiosity to work...learning.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join