It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Credit Card Checkout Fees start in New Jersey. Coming to a place near you soon?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
You know, I hate to say it but the blatant truth should be put right out in the open. You don't have to respond or anything just keep it in the back of your mind as a valid possibility in the upcoming future.

Sometimes I think, I should just write a check to the govt or corporations and sign over all my property, wealth, and even my soul.

Sadly I don't think that will be enough. They will want more.
But that is all I have to offer, sadly.
I wish I could be a better slave but it's so hard to please master.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

I never said they couldn't charge what they wanted it was merely an observation of them being just as greedy. Im not concerned who uses a credit card

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
My MIL called last night informing us of this. I went online and checked it out.

FWIW - I read that of hundreds of merchants polled, none said they will pass the fee on to the consumer. Also retailers must disclose charging the fee.

I almost always use a debit card or cash, so from now on, if I need to use my CC,
I'll ask up front if they're charing me the fee, if they say yes, then my business will go elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrStyx

I never said they couldn't charge what they wanted it was merely an observation of them being just as greedy. Im not concerned who uses a credit card

Taking a loan is a great thing.

Too bad they used that great tool as a means to take over and enslave people.

It's no coincidence that our school systems wait until near the end to even discuss check books, calculating interest payments, etc. Hell, most kids don't even get into that class, because its almost always "elective".

IMHO if our school system was to desire eliminating it's position as the punch-line in the joke that society has become, maybe these simple math exercises should be taught to kids from ages 8 to 10 and up? Or earlier if possible...

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
I have a merchant account that processes around 70k a year in CC fees. In all of my agreements I am specifically NOT allowed to charge any additional fees to a credit card user or I face losing my ability to process. This system, I have to assume was setup by the bank.

That's got to be one of the most sleaziest things I've ever heard of.

They stick you with an extra fee, then forbid you from passing the cost along to the customer. It seems the banksters feel they are the only ones entitled to a profit.

Then, when that isn't good enough, they get their bought-and-paid-for court system to force this system onto 40 states that had outlawed their corrupt practices.

People really need to be educated on the bankster's sleazy practices to see how they are being squeezed from every angle.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

It makes me wonder if the merchants in New Jersey will even be able to use this new law to their advantage if they've been roped into similar contracts with the banksters. Something tells me if that doesn't apply in New Jersey, they'll have the courts put a quick remedy to the situation.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

No the article states the retailers lose 3 percent on the card swipe not 4 percent. Retailers can then charge 4 percent onto the consumer, enabling them to profit an extra one percent. I've got nothing against it. Just stating that makes both just as greedy.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
My MIL called last night informing us of this. I went online and checked it out.

FWIW - I read that of hundreds of merchants polled, none said they will pass the fee on to the consumer. Also retailers must disclose charging the fee.

I almost always use a debit card or cash, so from now on, if I need to use my CC,
I'll ask up front if they're charing me the fee, if they say yes, then my business will go elsewhere.

I could ignore a 4% fee on something like a gallon of milk if it's a rare occurrence, but for sure if you are going to buy a new car with your elite CC, you may want to reconsider.

4% of 50,000 purchase is 2,000 $.
This is simply unacceptable levels of fee charging.
Criminal even.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yeah... that too, depending on the size of the purchase and how badly I need it.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I understand, but business is greedy, that's the driving force behind chasing a profit, otherwise the registered charity option is open as an alternative.
I'll be the first to admit that when chasing business then I'm as greedy as any banker.
I would add though that if some sweet poor old lady needed a wall repair or whatever she would have a more favourable quote than the guy with a Mercedes in the driveway.

Again, I don't have any issues with the banksters greed while supplying a service. If people choose to use said service then whining about it is rather silly as it is their own choice.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

Again, I don't have any issues with the banksters greed while supplying a service. If people choose to use said service then whining about it is rather silly as it is their own choice.

I didn't have a problem with what businesses do until some wise guy set precedent that we can use legislation and government regulations to control businesses.

Then I saw the light.
Let's just pass laws and control everything so we can create a perfect utopia.

Let's pass a law saying everything is free (except my stuff of course).

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
It's no coincidence that our school systems wait until near the end to even discuss check books, calculating interest payments, etc. Hell, most kids don't even get into that class, because its almost always "elective".
Different situation in the UK, my son has been taught such things in Maths & Economics lessons, quite standard here. He's 15 and can work out the payments on a mortgage if you give him the annual interest rate.
That said, if his schools had never offered it, I would have...personal responsibility and all that.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

I fear that you've been caught up in the media propaganda directing us to be angry at the retailers and not the banksters who forced this on the state through that lawsuit.

The retailers are only trying to get by on the tiny profit margin allowed them by the state and the banksters. It is a shame that most of them are afraid to use this new fee. If enough retailers were to rise up against the bankster's tyrrany and impose this fee on their customers, people may be forced to realize that the source of the new fees was the banksters and not the retailers.

If the retailers would stand together with one voice and point out it was the banksters who imposed this fee, they could win the sympathy of the public and maybe focus the backlash where is belongs; against the banksters.

Its truly a shame that nobody is brave enough to take on the banksters in this day and age. If no one imposes the new fees, I fear the banksters will only be emboldened and use it as an opportunity to impose even more fees and surcharges on their customers.

edit on 1/28/13 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I understand, but business is greedy, that's the driving force behind chasing a profit, otherwise the registered charity option is open as an alternative.
I'll be the first to admit that when chasing business then I'm as greedy as any banker.
I would add though that if some sweet poor old lady needed a wall repair or whatever she would have a more favourable quote than the guy with a Mercedes in the driveway.

Agreed, but in a rational world credit card should actually cost less to use than using cash. Its just moving numbers around on a computer. Its not physical cash that needs to be transported, stored, or protected in a bank. Its similar to college tuition going up, yet most of the course material is increasingly being fed online and electronically. Its just a big shame to get more cash. Nothing against it , but its just backwards.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Different situation in the UK, my son has been taught such things in Maths & Economics lessons, quite standard here. He's 15 and can work out the payments on a mortgage if you give him the annual interest rate.
That said, if his schools had never offered it, I would have...personal responsibility and all that.

In America we are taught that if someone is dumb enough to loan you 15trillion $, that they are a sucker.

Hey China and Japan, I am not talking about you. You will get paid back we promise!

Back slash end sarcasm.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

My school system has never taught anything like that and I believe it should be mandatory. If you are doing math, then you should be doing home economics.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

My school system has never taught anything like that and I believe it should be mandatory. If you are doing math, then you should be doing home economics.

It is far more profitable to charge late fees etc.

Think of all the money they would lose if we actually were trained to not lose it.

It would be amazing to see how much exactly, like what % of the GDP is actually being sucked into the system through basic ignorance.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
4% charge if you use your credit card, yet if you sign up for a Kohls credit card you get 10% OFF today's purchase!

edit on 28-1-2013 by solarstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It saddens me to see just how out of touch the average "wage slave" is with what it takes to run a business. Most people don't even know that if I pay someone in California $10.00 an hour it costs me nearly $20.00. The single largest statement that pisses me off the most? "At least you get to write it off". People don't seem to get the little fact that I still have to make it to write it off!

My industry only has a 50% markup and we have fairly standardized pricing. When the Government or banks ask for just a few more points off the top it comes right out of my mouth. I can't raise my prices or they go to the competition. Every year my fuel bills, insurance and taxes go up. Profits shrink every time.

By the time all is said and done, I work twice as hard as most wage slaves for the same money. But at least I don't have some jerk telling me what to do. Unless you factor in my accountant, the IRS, the Feds, the State, the County, and the City of course..........

edit on 28-1-2013 by Mamatus because: gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Thus the downfall of smaller private ventures.

Ushering in the era of mega corporations as the new dominant force.

Walmart and the like will survive, but will anyone else? Its doubtful.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

reply to post by Mamatus

Thus the downfall of smaller private ventures.

Ushering in the era of mega corporations as the new dominant force.

Walmart and the like will survive, but will anyone else? Its doubtful.
It depends on the business I guess. As I said I'm a self employed builder and after taking materials into account my price is negotiable for my time. I can choose to charge less and reduce my hourly rate, or work faster and improve it - big companies cannot do that with salaried workers.
Back to the OP though, if anyone chooses to use credit cards then they must accept the conditions of service, whining afterwards is something I am not interested in. I choose not to use CC's and do not accept them as payment...none of us are forced, it remains a choice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join