It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drought Kills 300 Million Trees in Just Texas more in Midwest

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

"This is just beginning," says Janna Beckerman, a plant pathologist at Indiana's Purdue University. "I suspect we'll see trees still dying for the next two or three years."

Some will try to tell you the drought is not that bad, but Texas alone has lost over 300 million trees in the last few years. This is occurring throughout the Midwest as the drought is turning farm land into desert.

droughtmonitor.unl.edu...

The Mississippi water way and other rivers are drying up, but the media-ocraty keeps us focused on what the next Kardashian move is and we buy the circuses ignoring the danger of our food supply slowly drying up.

Once the trees are gone, the wind buffer is too and watch the dust storms roll across the U.S. again.

Maybe then we will start paying attention to the farm families that are leaving the bankrupt farms in droves, prime picking for the mega corps to pick up their land for pennies.
edit on 28-1-2013 by winterkill because: spelling error

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I live by Purdue University, and they were making a big deal about this over the summer.

here is the Link from July.

Some signs your tree is stressed and in need of water include any curling or browning of leaves, no growing of new leaves, and splitting of the bark at the base of the trunk. Most trees need about 10 gallons of water per week for every inch and a half in diameter.

edit on 28-1-2013 by tw0330 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

I just watched a documentary last night by the same people who did an inconvenient truth about the water shortage. Nevada is fours years away from the hoover dam to stop producing electricity and California will be producing recycled sewage water for consumption in the next two years. Everything is drying up.

It's looking pretty bleak.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well, some of the cities in Texas are paying a Canadian company to seed the clouds so they get enough rain. This practice makes other areas not get rain. I think this practice should be restricted worldwide and an agency developed to oversee it's implementation. The rain is being stolen from others.

In our area they are clearcutting a lot of areas to make pellets to use commercially. They call it renewable energy. Aren't trees supposed to combat global warming? They can eat up all the carbon created from the coal power plants. There is no shortage of coal, there is a shortage of forests though.
edit on 28-1-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Why can't people decide not to have kids? What's so hard about that? Too many people on the planet.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

California is already using sewage water and recycling it back into the public supply. I watched a documentary on Travel or History Channel about the process it takes to achieve this.

The guy running the operation claimed it was safe enough to drink and even took some straight off the line before the final stages of the whole ordeal and drank it himself. I was impressed with how quickly they can take raw nasty crap and turn it into something drinkable.

Still, this is not a good situation to be in. However, mother nature will correct itself and with all this death comes new life. Like all things, it will take some time to see the results.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
If you are scared of recycled sewage water I would suggest that you never join the astronaut program..

Water is a serious issue, a rapidly developing crisis in fact. The fresh water supplies of the world are drying up. In

Qatar, they import 100% of their food and import or desalinate 100% of their drinking water.
China has but 1% of the worlds available drinking water and has 19% of the total worlds population.
Water is a serious problem and getting worse. I have a hundreds of water statistics that would scare the heck out of most folks. In fact many of those statistics I can't even post or share as they are not publicly available and would get a family member in big trouble if leaked.

The world is going to get very ugly due to competition for resources...........

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Watched this documentary on CBC newsworld here in Canada called Last call at the Oasis last night and was a shocker not sure if it is the same one as the poster mentioned above about Vegas and four yrs of water left but was eye opening and informative for sure. Video may only be available in Canada but im sure people know enough about IP's to bypass that and watch it anyhow.

It's pretty long grab a bevy and sit for a bit if your gonna watch it

It seems we as a species are moving quickly toward hard times and no one seem all that concerned until the problem is upon them, sad really...

SaneThinking
edit on 28-1-2013 by SaneThinking because: just an add

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
is any one 100% certain that its the drought thats killing trees ? what about all of the untold fracking chemicals polluting the available ground water that the trees also use?

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SaneThinking

The City of Las Vegas uses 300 gallons of water for every single person (tourists and resident combined) in Las Vegas, per day! Fountains, pools and water shows all have tremendous evaporation issues. Pure waste for entertainment.

It has always seemed interesting to see what some people call poverty. We get to take hot hour long showers in water half the world would love to be able to drink.......

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by IsawWHATtheyDID

Ummm, I think you answered your own question. If there is no water how do fracking chemicals get into it?

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Years ago on another forum we discussed the coming water shortage issues,
www.aljazeera.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

i dont know if there is water , and i dont know if lack of water is what is killing the trees. just asking if any one knew for sure that they were being killed by drought or possibly being poisoned. so no i did not answer my own question.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
reply to post by SaneThinking

The City of Las Vegas uses 300 gallons of water for every single person (tourists and resident combined) in Las Vegas, per day! Fountains, pools and water shows all have tremendous evaporation issues. Pure waste for entertainment.

It has always seemed interesting to see what some people call poverty. We get to take hot hour long showers in water half the world would love to be able to drink.......

OH THE IRONY!!!!!!

Move to the Mozambique and live as they before acting like a holier then thou jack ass...

The point is probably taken as in whoever im replying to only showers 1 time a year anyway!!!!!

Get a grip

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Yeah the Doc. I linked goes into it has an interview with the Mayor of Las Vegas made me sick the attitude she had to what there consumption was. Goes into chemical dumps by big companies, fracking and burning water, the town of midland where almost everyone has unexplained cancers, pretty much covers everything from the drought, chemical pollution, water reclaimation.

Can't agree more about how we take for granted something so valuable to our existance.

I myself living in Vancouver Canada formally of Port Coquitlam, and when living in PoCo I had one of the local water resevoirs in my backyard basically that is filled by the Coquitlam glacier. For now the glacier is still providing water and will for years to come. I have though hiked to viewpoints of the glacier as well as almost to it or as close as I could get. And the rapid shrinking is easily visable to anyone who has taken the time to view it yr after yr. And the thing that worrys me is everyone who uses the system doesn't realize just how little time we may have left to use this valuable resource if we don't think about better means of conservation and quick...

SaneThinking

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gangdumstyle

I get to be a bit holier than thou on water issues. I conserve the heck out it. Short showers, zero water landscaping at my home, infrequent car washes etc etc. While I have not been to Mozambique I have been to several other drought stricken areas. One of my family members has been a big time player in water issues for over 25 years. I know exactly what I am talking about when it comes to water. When someone in your family is called on to fly around the world with leading a water crisis team you might know a bit more about the issues than yourself.

edit on 28-1-2013 by Mamatus because: politeness

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus

I get to be a bit holier than thou on water issues. I conserve the heck out it. Short showers, zero water landscaping at my home, infrequent car washes etc etc. While I have not been to Mozambique I have been to several other drought stricken areas. One of my family members has been a big time player in water issues for over 25 years. I know exactly what I am talking about when it comes to water. When someone in your family is called on to fly around the world with leading a water crisis team you might know a bit more about the issues than yourself.

edit on 28-1-2013 by Mamatus because: politeness

Not holier then thou brother!! Being a Ponta Do Ouro Partial Marine Reserve from Mozambique I can tell you how serious water issues can be.... The topic if we stayed on it without your diversions would call into affect 300 million trees to be on par with the life on 300 million humans.. WHICH is IF you actually knew what you were talking about, half of the amount of trees that have died have been saved in REAL LIVES. AROUND 150 MILLION PEOPLE have been saved through US AND INTERNATIONAL RELIEF TO THESE REGIONS from dying of thirst... Please go somewhere else with yout anti-american BULL # and realize how many credentialed peopled have risked their lives FOR THE PEOPLE of these countries and NOT their plants... SORRY can't save everything..

REALITY CHECK PLZ BIG REALITY CHECK BEFORE YOUR CONDESCENSION OF ME FOR TAKING A HOT SHOWER!! OR ANY AMERICAN AT THAT !!!!!! bottom of the totem pole posters paid for and made for the condescending left.... SICK!!
edit on 28-1-2013 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
UP
edit on 28-1-2013 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Sorry I am done debating with you. If anyone wonders why it is because you twist peoples words. Logic sir, eludes you.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MmmPie
reply to post by FlySolo

California is already using sewage water and recycling it back into the public supply. I watched a documentary on Travel or History Channel about the process it takes to achieve this.

The guy running the operation claimed it was safe enough to drink and even took some straight off the line before the final stages of the whole ordeal and drank it himself. I was impressed with how quickly they can take raw nasty crap and turn it into something drinkable.

Still, this is not a good situation to be in. However, mother nature will correct itself and with all this death comes new life. Like all things, it will take some time to see the results.

Would you say a guy who drinks that water that wasn't completely processed should be in charge of the water supply? Sounds like this guy is a little off.

<<   2  3 >>

join