It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Deny ignorance"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
OK so...
I'm quite sure what they meant to say was the equivalent of "Disallow ignorance", perhaps "Defy ignorance" or "Fight ignorance" or even "Destroy ignorance"...

Unfortunately they chose "Deny Ignorance".
Denying ignorance, means literally, to say one is not ignorant. To deny does not say you are making any effort to change, or make any statement about truth - it just says you do not accept - in this case - you do not accept ignorance.

So if I'm ignorant, and I deny ignorance - I'm still ignorant. If someone else is ignorant and I deny that they are ignorant, they are still ignorant. What is the purpose then to "deny ignorance"? I suppose in some ways it's quite apt - alot of people here DO deny their own ignorance. But I dont think that was the plan.... Is it actually eluding to a secret plan for ATS to disseminate false information or 'trap' conspiracy theorists? (JK.. but .. maybe not?
)

Anyone got a comment? ... perhaps a suggestion for a new motto?

edit on 28-1-2013 by cartesia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by cartesia

I like anagrams. So let's just mix the letters up and see what we find?

Annoying Creed

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I've always thought that, however I think it's quite fitting a lot of the time.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

perhaps a suggestion for a new motto?

Or a new thread title..

Along with the words Ron Paul, 2012 and Gun.. Deny ignorance must be one of the most common words in thread titles.. Although usually in the rant section.. A quick search brings 40,000 results! Lets just deny these words be used in thread titles in the future..

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   

To me (Deny Ignorance) means....

That when I have (a lack of knowledge); I am going to read and study and find out what the truth is; by doing that I can move forward in life; because I have gained more knowledge; added more truth to my life and I cannot refuse to admit anymore that I don't know about what I have learned.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

To me (Deny Ignorance) means....

That when I have (a lack of knowledge); I am going to read and study and find out what the truth is; by doing that I can move forward in life; because I have gained more knowledge; added more truth to my life and I cannot refuse to admit anymore that I don't know about what I have learned.

Best response so far! Wish I could applause you.

My take on it is in my signature, OP. Denying Ignorance starts with ourselves.
edit on 1/28/2013 by Klassified because: spelling

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

it just says you do not accept - in this case - you do not accept ignorance.

You hit the nail on the head, then missed your own point.

"Deny Ignorance" is a call to educate yourself. Ignorance of a subject should be unacceptable to you. "I don't know" should not be part of your vocabulary.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Very well-said!

To me, to Deny Ignorance means that it's MY responsibility to educate myself as much as possible on a matter, read BOTH sides (or ALL sides), use my rational and logical mind to find the truth, without letting emotion, ego, my political opinions, etc, cloud my judgment. It's a reminder for MYSELF that the truth is more important than anyone's opinion. Even mine.

Deny Ignorance is NOT something I shout at other people who disagree with me on an issue. I see that so much here.
When I see that, I think the person has no clue what it even means.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
You all need to stop being so ignorant of the meaning of the verb 'deny'.

To deny does not mean to improve, to correct.. it means to deny. Nowhere in the statement 'deny ignorance' is there a call to improve ones understanding, or to make oneself aware of that which they are ignorant.
edit on 30-1-2013 by cartesia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
de·ny (d-n)
tr.v. de·nied, de·ny·ing, de·nies
1. To declare untrue; contradict.
2. To refuse to believe; reject.
3. To refuse to recognize or acknowledge; disavow.
a. To decline to grant or allow; refuse: deny the student's request; denied the prisoner food or water.
b. To give a refusal to; turn down or away: The protesters were determined not to be denied.
c. To restrain (oneself) especially from indulgence in pleasures.

ANyway, I suggest :" Dont Be A Debbie Downer" as a motto... but they chose something having to do with turning down or turning away ignorance.. meh.... uppity elitists.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I have always said denying ignorance and attacking it are two different exercises.

Nice to see you back, btw.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Ignorance is what we think we know (dogma, political persuasion, deep seated predjudice, etc),

before we realise that we know nothing.

Deny your own ignorance first,

Then you can help others deny theirs.

To be ignorant also means to be unfriendly and rude ( in Ireland)

This is also frowned upon at ATS.

Rock 'n' Roll, however is not.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

"Deny" also means "disavow, repuduate", as in denying a prebious faith or a previous leader.
So to "deny ignorance" is to throw off the shackles of ignorance and adopt knowledge instead.

top topics

join