It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google faces lawsuit over alleged iPhone tracking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Google faces lawsuit over alleged iPhone tracking - The Times of India

iPhone

NEW DELHI: Internet search giant Google faces a legal battle in the UK over privacy concerns for allegedly tracking Apple users. As many as 10 million iPhone owners in the country reportedly have ground to file a lawsuit against the world's biggest search engine for bypassing the security settings of Apple's Safari browser in iPhone, iPad and desktop computers in order to track their web activity. 10 iPhone users have already begun legal proceedings against Google and many more are lining up according to a news report in Business Insider. While the company's executives in the US and UK have been given letter-before-action by two users, another 10 are readying to file for legal action. The complainants' lawyers have asked Google to clarify how long it circumvented the privacy settings on Apple's browser, how much data was illegally stolen and how it was used. The claimants are reportedly taking the company to court over breach of confidence and privacy, computer misuse and trespass and breach of Data Protection Act 1998. These legal proceedings come just a few months after Google was slapped with a $22.5 million fine in US for tracking users via Safari browser. The company admitted it intentionally dodged Safari's security settings which stopped cookies from being installed on computers. Google's DoubleClick ad network reportedly stored cookies on users' devices without their permission.

edit on 28-1-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-1-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Fed up with all this tracking on my iPhone never seems to stop these days.....

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

These legal proceedings come just a few months after Google was slapped with a $22.5 million fine in US for tracking users via Safari browser.

Is it a coincidence that the Safari browser is also made by Apple? I'd be blaming Apple for making poorly designed things with weak security. When I buy a tool and it breaks or backfires on me, I blame the people who made it. If there's a hole people are going to exploit it, and I bet Google made way more than 22.5 mill from exploiting the hole in Safari. Well worth it I'd say.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   

edit on 28-1-2013 by gortex because: nvm

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by scotsdavy1

These legal proceedings come just a few months after Google was slapped with a $22.5 million fine in US for tracking users via Safari browser.

Is it a coincidence that the Safari browser is also made by Apple? I'd be blaming Apple for making poorly designed things with weak security. When I buy a tool and it breaks or backfires on me, I blame the people who made it. If there's a hole people are going to exploit it, and I bet Google made way more than 22.5 mill from exploiting the hole in Safari. Well worth it I'd say.

Very true words there. Apple seem to come out with a new iPhone every other 6 months it seems. Good phone but massively overpriced. Wish Firefox was the browser for it instead of Safari though.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
just wait until they read the license agreement that they willingly clicked "I Agree" to!

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
When I got an iPhone I turned location services off immediately. It asked me a thousand time if I wanted it on. My time zone was set 5 hours earlier for some reason and the only remedy it suggested was turning location services on. Until I realized a tab allowed me to do it manually.

It was damn near impossible to activate the tab though. There was one below it that said "find local timezone" but it was in a state of constantly spinning as though it was searching for it. (Jeez, I thought all phones just got updated by the service provider just like those old nokias with the blue and grey displays...)

Now everytime I load an app I get asked if I want location services on.

No.

No I don't thank you very much.

Stop asking.

The amount of greed within these companies is far greater than my need to have GPS tracking on. I don't need them knowing when I'm in the can, when I'm shopping, when I'm eating, when I'm having sex with my girlfriends.

Some things people just don't need to know.

This is a clear example of how they go far beyond where they should, to mine data which they shouldn't be.

"Don't be evil."

This reminds me of all those slutty girls where the first thing that comes out of their mouth when you meet them is, "I'm not that type of girl."

Sure you aren't.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0mage
just wait until they read the license agreement that they willingly clicked "I Agree" to!

I,saw an episode on TV the other week there about that as well, wasn't the Simpsons but something similar. Facebook is bad at that as well if you read the small print, that's why I came out of it for good.

new topics

top topics

join