It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have the proper ID to go into a Federal Building or board a plane in the US?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Does your license have a "star" on it? If so, you have the REAL ID card, the new ID required by the Federal Government..

The REAL ID is supposed to be a way to identify terrorists and criminals which was attached to a broader "war on terrorism" and tsunami spending bill and was signed on May 11, 2005 by then-President Bush after overwhelmingly bipartisan votes in Congress.

The Coalition for a Secure Driver’s License (CSDL) states that any person who has an old driver’s licenses in their pockets won’t be acceptable IDs for federal agencies and airport inspectors. Citizens will need to obtain U.S. passports or plan other modes of transportation than commercial airlines.

According to this article, DHS: Thirteen States have Met the January 2013 REAL ID Deadline, Enforcement will be Final in 2015, many states have already complied [number of actual states vary].

-2012-

WASHINGTON, D.C – Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Assistant Secretary for Policy announced today that DHS will begin a systematic and tailored enforcement of the REAL ID rules during calendar year 2013. Based on a review of progress in states that have submitted detailed compliance documents, DHS has determined that Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Maryland, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming have met the Act’s requirements. The Department commended these states, while warning the other states that they need to continue to make substantial progress meeting the rules or face enforcement actions.

Also, according to this link here, without the new REAL ID license, people will need their passport to enter Federal Buildings.

Beginning in January, Louisiana will join 26 other states that will require a passport for entry into federal buildings and all commercial flights, no matter their destination. The change stems from the 2005 "Real ID" law, which went into effect in 2008. The bill paved the way for a universal identification system across the country, but several states including Louisiana opted out of the program.

Many states have opted out for different reasons but for Louisiana, it has more to do with privacy for their citizens.
Nov. 14, 2012

"Your driver's license would essentially become an ID number that could be swiped and scanned on either a federal building, bank, getting on or boarding an airplane," Geymann said. "We were very concerned about identity theft, the privacy, who was going to be capturing the data and who would have their hands on that information that would be very personal."

Louisiana State Representative Brett Geymann co-authored a state bill excluding Louisiana from the federal law.
Geymann's concern was also felt by 26 other states. As of June, more than half of states have passed legislation opposing some portion of the "Real ID" law. [ Nov. 2012]

The responses so far seem conflicting.
Some states see this as progress while others see it as a privacy issue and a violation of our constitutional rights.

Not sure if which one is the correct "star" or if both are.......

So, do you have a star?
Mine has got a bar code on the back with a stripe like a credit card. Since it doesn't expire until next year, guess I'll have to wait and see what's on the new one.

Homeland Security News Wire

----------------------------------
ETA: People born on or after December 1, 1964, will have to obtain a REAL ID by December 1, 2014. Those born before December 1, 1964, will have until December 1, 2017 to obtain their REAL ID
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 28-1-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
If the Feds want you to testify against someone, you will get access to their Federal buildings, NWO ID or not, no problemo!

I've had to testify before a Grand Jury at a Federal building in Boston. My ID was an older Drivers License, regardless of whether I even had a legal ID or not, I was getting into that building on that day by their orders. Probably hasn't changed since then, which was a few years ago.

I think everyone's Driver's Licenses in the USA have the bar code in the back. In NH back in 2009, I had the choice to opt out of many of the Federal requests, like listing my info and photo into a Federal database. Supposedly, I opted out of all that.

We'll see how ridiculous it will be in 2014 when my license expires.
I probably won't be allowed to renew it unless I pay my Comcast past due bill or something.

edit on 28-1-2013 by JibbyJedi because: tyop

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
No star on mine and it was issued late last month on a 6 year renew period. I guess Missouri is telling the Feds where to stick that one too. Why not? We did by State Constitutional Amendment on Obama care...sounds like we're about to join Wyoming for a law to arrest federal agents enforcing new gun laws. This is par for the course.

Wouldn't it be so much easier if the Feds respected the fact they DO actually HAVE some limits to their power? In fact, they have MANY limits to their power. The states shouldn't have to be in direct conflict because the feds refuse to accept that very important fact of legal reality.

Oh I can't wait for a couple of these things to finally come to direct conflict with the Feds. We'll see when they do, how far they're willing to go to force their ideas on 50 states which may or may not agree.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
The path the US is on really is great isn't it? Now, if I drove to D.C. and wanted to see my Representative or Senator, I would be denied access. Good job Amerika! Keep letting freedoms* banner fly high!

*freedoms are not guananteed to all, conditions apply.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

My ID doesn't have a star, I did notice a bar code the last time I renewed it though.

As far as a "Real ID" or "Papers", I laugh at this notion, sure, they can make national ID cards that tell the TSA or police your name and address with surety...but it tells them nothing.

After all, a plastic card doesn't show the character or intentions of the person who's picture is on it. Sure, it might make them feel comfortable or safe, but a card doesn't show them anything they don't already have access to. Driver's tests and passport applications don't do psychoanalysis, and even if they did, it's quite easy to lie.

I really don't see the point in this, other than government officials actually believe policy can make someone safe.

Addendum: Ineffectiveness of such IDs aside, this is a violation of privacy, and I do have everything to hide, I don't want them knowing I do things that are legal.

edit on 28-1-2013 by TurtleSmacker because: Clarification

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Okay, here is what a Florida license with the "star" looks like.....

www.flhsmv.gov...

Here's a bit of info for Floridians:

Your current Florida license or ID card will continue to be valid as identification for federal purposes until December 1, 2014 for individuals born after December 1, 1964 and December 1, 2017 for everyone else.

After the 2014 and 2017 dates, Federal agencies will no longer accept a driver license or ID card unless it is Real ID compliant. This means you will not be allowed to board commercial flights or enter federal facilities unless you have a REAL ID compliant document.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Hey.. I can't help it. I have to ask......

There is another thread up right now about how Illinois is issuing drivers licenses to criminal aliens within the year. So, pray tell....while Missouri residents like me will apparently be denied anything requiring a "Real ID" all nice and formal like, may I assume Illinois is issuing the proper one to illegals?

Oh... I don't know if I even want to know but the end result would be the ultimate slap across the face wouldn't it? A criminal alien may very well be able to board a plane or enter a Federal building and a natural american citizen cannot because of the state one lives in for ID issuance policies vs. federal mandate.

They've all gone insane.

edit on 28-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Hey.. I can't help it. I have to ask......

There is another thread up right now about how Illinois is issuing drivers licenses to criminal aliens within the year. So, pray tell....while Missouri residents like me will apparently be denied anything requiring a "Real ID" all nice and formal like, may I assume Illinois is issuing the proper one to illegals?

Oh... I don't know if I even want to know but the end result would be the ultimate slap across the face wouldn't it? A criminal alien may very well be able to board a plane or enter a Federal building and a natural american citizen cannot because of the state one lives in for ID issuance policies vs. federal mandate.

They've all gone insane.

Can't find a definite answer to that question but I did stumble across this info...

Illinois officials said there are 250,000 unlicensed immigrants in their state, and licensing and insuring half of them would save state drivers $46 million a year in premium payments.

How a new policy would mesh with the federal Real ID law remains to be seen.

Seems like the money is the issue here.
And it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they allowed them to obtain REAL ID's.

Proponents say it will allow an estimated 250,000 individuals unlawfully residing in the state to apply for a three-year temporary driver's license and require them to get training and insurance.

-AP Jan. 27, 2013
-Rules for illegal immigrants to obtain a license

I guess they feel like they'll at least have their info in the data base if they apply for a license.
Still unclear as to whether it's the normal one or the new REAL ID...

Every thing seems out of whack any more, off kilter with this country....especially the damn politicians!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Iowa is one of these states requiring a "real" id...it's not the star that makes an id "real"...it's characteristics that make the ID more difficult to be counterfeited....much ado about nothing.
edit on 28-1-2013 by LennayTheUndead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Illegal immigrant faked his ID and got a job and into the White House a few years ago.

Plastic cards won't make anyone safer. Mexico's got thousands of people into our military right now getting peoples information so they can bring it home.....so they can use those peoples ID's and get money...and into places.

Green Card holders used to have to serve 3 years honorably in our military, pay the $375, pass the test....then get citizenship....then finally a security clearance.

Now a Green Card Holder only has to enter our military, serve 1 day...get 100% free expedited citizenship....Immediate Security Clearance.

America's losing Security...not gaining.

The "REAL ID CARD" wasn't really about the card providing more security. IT's about the Computer network they set up to harass citizens. It's a chat system where they put negative things in there on people they don't like. So if that guy ever gets pulled over for speeding...the Cops read the negative comment some politician, mafia head, or other crook put in there on you. The cops running the Fusion Computer DataBase Centers reading everyone's posts/emails also input comments into the REAL ID computer systems. Maybe you dated a cops sister and later broke up with her.....you're going to be targeted by the REAL ID act system as well.
edit on 28-1-2013 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
no star here in mt just a few holographic bears unless they tried to hide it more craftily then expected

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Thanks for checking that. I appreciate what you were able to find on it and the effort to look! (I'm not used to OPs taking such a question seriously but it sure is nice to get the added context without self-searching it this time!
)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
There has been a debate over whether or not to place an RFID chip in the new REAL ID lincense but so far, it's been taken off the table. Although there are conflicting reports on this....

Unlike the Passport Card which does have it......

Passport Card Attributes

Aside from meeting the criteria for a Real ID, a US passport card is also an enhanced ID. This form of identification also meets the standards outlined in the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. The US Customs and Border Protection, the folks checking your id when you come back into the USA, have a list of certified WHTI IDs

* Limited Use – As mentioned earlier, passport cards are only good for travel across certain land and sea borders. They are a valid Real ID and will allow the bearer to board a domestic flight.
*Validity – Passport cards, like passports are valid for ten years for adults and five years for Minors under 16.
*RFID Chip – Passport cards, like passports have a radio chip in them that enables it to be read by a vicinity radio scanner. Passport details are stored in the chip.
* Biometric Information – Passport cards contain a compressed image of the bearer’s face, other items like fingerprints and retinal scans are not included in the card.

Real ID DHS Update
Jan. 4, 2013

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Nope no Star, Montana shot down the real ID that was being
pushed through.

Oddly i have not seen anything on it since.
Not to worried, i am not planing on flying or going
into a federal building anytime in the near future.
Have no desire for either, call me old fashioned, but i'd
rather drive somewhere. Half the fun of getting there.
If i cant drive then i don't need to go.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I am going to quote, what I quoted in another quote from another thread: HERE

Follow me?

Originally posted by havok

Q. Does a compliant DL/ID card look different that a non-compliant DL/ID card?
A: Yes, but not by much. The overall appearance is the same; however, a compliant DL/ID card is distinguishable by the GOLD STAR in the upper right hand corner of the DL/ID card, and a non-compliant card is distinguishable by the phrase "Not for Federal Identification" printed in the upper margin of the DL/ID card.

Quoted from your excerpt and emphasis mine...

I remember a history lesson about stars aligning with identification purposes...

One was for identifying a jew.
Another is for identifying a federal citizen.
I certainly don't like the idea of using another gold star for identification.

I'm not saying...I'm just saying...

I especially DON'T appreciate the use of this symbol.
Or the meaning behind it.

I don't care how "safe" a person feels, this shouldn't be necessary.
A star to denote if you are not a terrorist? Talk about fear-driven control!

How can anyone accept this willingly?
Makes you think what is truly coming down the pipeline.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Texas isn't on the list but I just checked anyway because I just got my license renewed about a month ago. There was no "obvious" star but there is a holographic star centered in a seal near the top and three other holographic stars (without seal) near the bottom. I'm pretty sure those are just a fake ID safeguard but who knows. I didn't have any problems flying on an airplane using it as ID and I am using it again to fly home tomorrow. If anybody gives me any flack I'll let you know.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
So is that how the lines of "Union" and "Confederate" will shake out this time around?

Fed: Your Papers Please!

Citizen: (hands over license)

Fed: Ah! You have no STAR! We must detain you while we settle this matter!

(handcuffs locking closed.....unknown future to follow)

Is this the scene we see play out at some point when we, without the star of approval, are caught outside our own state or in Federal Jurisdiction?

The number of states saying no should have KILLED an idea which they were never actually ASKING the states about in the first place. The forced mandate should have died right there as the states form the Union of consent. Or...at least...it used to work that way.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I am beginning to think that way, W.

It's almost as if it is being forced upon those who are scared of real freedom.
The idea that you MUST have a star on your ID for travel is tyranny at its best.
You don't need a label to travel! For Godssakes!

According to common law practice, you don't need a license to travel either.

But, as with all things these days, this type of acceptance is passed down.
From one generation to the next, the people will act as though its "the only way".
I already watch children being exposed to this crude attempt at persuasion.
Through the education system, local schools are implementing ID systems.
Teach the children an agenda, and they don't know the truth.

Very frightening....indeed.
(And NO you don't require this to travel freely)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
i know this probably sounds like i work for "them"...but, doesn't it occur to anybody that they are trying to thwart the "fake ID" makers?...our money recently went through this transition, by making it next to impossible to forge our money. maybe this is a way to get forged drivers licences out of the hands of people, that might use them to hurt you or your family members.
edit on 28-1-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
we dont have this here in NC
never been denied access to the VA or the federal building here

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join