It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An uplifting quote that changed my day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I've been moping around lately. I've been a harsh critic of myself and have been struggling to inflate my confidence again.

It's tough being the odd man out, the black sheep, the pariah--and I have no doubt that that is what I truly am. I go through life feeling very isolated and alienated. Heck, sometimes even I don't understand where I'm coming from or where I'm going.

But today I was given a very uplifting quote that pulled me out of my rut.

I'd like to share this quote with all of you who, like me, don't feel understood and accepted. Sometimes we just have to embrace what sets us apart instead of debasing ourselves.

I hope you find this quote as helpful and inspiring as I did:

"Blessed are the weird people--poets, misfits, writers, mystics, painters & troubadours--for they teach us to see the world through different eyes."
-Jacob Nordby

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Oh yeah! Long live the weird. Would you have it any other way?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

If that quote got you through your day, maybe this one can help get you through this life....

I'd rather be a failure at something i love, than a success at something i hate.

~George Burns

The guy lived to see 100 whilest smoking cigars.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Thanks for the quote. I have not heard that one either--and it really clicks with me! I guess the OP quote I posted was a little more personal to me than I described. I'm an amateur creative writer. I don't write much--and I share even less with others.

I was talking with a writer the last few days while we were going over some of my portfolio. I'm going to be submitting some pieces for publication and I have been a bit nervous. I am my own harshest critic, so I can only imagine what publishers and editors think of my work, while I think it's crap.

He brought me a small picture frame with this quote inside. It really did help me to look at my writing (my art, my weirdness) in a new way. While it doesn't change my view as being the "odd man out," it does help to put a positive spin on it.

I'm sure there are threads like this already, but if anybody else has an inspiring quote to post, PLEASE share it!
edit on 28-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

K, this is what the quote reminded me of when I first read it, who knows-

PS All the best to you with your writing! Always good to hear more.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

I love the word embrace ♥ I'm happy and thank you for sharing NB.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I am my own harshest critic, so I can only imagine what publishers and editors think of my work, while I think it's crap.

Ahhhh.... gotcha.
I am also an amateur writer, graphic novels is my attempted grasp to success.

The quote of yours I posted is like my own exact thoughts of my own work. Take into consideration the amount of times you've gone over your own material critically, over & over again. You are being too self critical probably, no one will review your material as much as you will.

Regardless, it's your "art" so to speak. Trust in the fact that no one can appreciate it as much as you will. Even the most hardened fans of your work will not truly know what was put into it.

Good luck to you my fellow writer.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Don't fret NB! Life has taught me that the "weird" and the "odd" are by far the majority with the so-called "normal" people being the minority! Most whom you or I would consider to be "normal" are just as off the wall as we are- they are just better at disguising it in order to fit in. Their delicate egos cannot take the criticism that would possibly come their way if they didn't appear to conform to what is considered "normal". My view has always been to be myself no matter what. Those who would criticize me have just as many bones in their closet, they are just too chicken to let them out. Always be yourself NB, you will always be the better for it!

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

That's a very nice quote.

I think a lot of writers are harsh on themselves. I don't write stories...well sometimes, but I'm more into poetry. I'm extremely critical about what I write sometimes.

I have a quote I really like and I don't know who said it..

"your self-image controls your performance; see yourself as confident and in complete control"

Peace and love to you
~nat~

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by natalia

I rarely do stories either. I'm much more interested in poetry. The way I see it--all literature is poetry. The short story and the novel are just long poems written in formal prose.

I'd love to see some of your poems if you're willing to share. Mine are already posted on ATS, but shhhh, it's a secret.

By the way, thanks for the quote! I guess I haven't had much exposure to inspirational quotes because I've never seen or heard the ones already posted.

edit on 28-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Thanks for that one, I had never heard it before and I like it very much. Anything blessing misfits is OK in my book.

This is one of my favorites...

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -Hunter S. Thompson

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xoanon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -Hunter S. Thompson

Love it!! Hurray for Hunter.

I live close to Austin TX and the city motto is "Keep Austin Weird".

Celebrate your weirdness. Wave that flag!!

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Thank all the gods and non-gods for the weird!

I don't think I have a single non-weird friend. I don't think I could, being a tad out there on the edge of the ledge myself. But at least I'm not alone!

Keep writing. Write 'til it hurts, and once it hurts, write some more. If it makes some people think you are weird, or an outsider, take that as a trophy.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Hi NarcolepticBudhha, I know what you mean. I'm about as far out as you can get....mostly always feel like I'm dancing to a different tune compared to everyone else. I gotta say, my life has never been boring because of it I suppose.

I.m a newbie here...I write poems...you say there is a spot I can put a few on ATS? Gonna check it out. Anyway, I don't have anything uplifting to say so I'll leave off with this one...."Blessed are the dieters for they shall inhibit their gerth".

edit on 31-1-2013 by shrevegal because: spelling error

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

----------------

Hi NarcolepticBuddha, I was feeling happy and uplifted until I read your thread here, now I feel sad,,,

Ha Ha LOL Just Joking !

I like to read poetry and have written some myself. I'm going to try and cheer you up a little bit more, and / or bring you farther along through the emotional wringer of life. Think about this fact, your poems may never be liked or accepted in your lifetime. However, they may be re-discovered and become extremely liked and famous in the future when you're dead and gone. That is the real life of the writer and poet. However you know you cannot give up and stop your writing, even if you have to live the lifestyle of a starving poet. People who do not write cannot really and truly understand why someone would seem to waste their life's days and years writing things that may never be truly appreciated in their lifetime. But write you must, huh.

I was reading some poems on a Russian Poetry website a few years back, and I came across this poem and I thought to myself, Wow this lady really and truly understands the big picture about her effort in writing her poetry. Also another great poem below I read somewhere, and thought it spoke volumes too. Anyway, just keep on writing what you are inspired to write, don't ever worry about critics. Everyone has critics, even the greats have critics and had critics. Like Ricky Nelson so famously said in his song " Garden Party "

---------

These my poems, written so early…

These my poems, written so early…
These my poems, written so early
That I did not know then I was a poet,
Which having tore, like droplets from a fountain,
Like sparks from a rocket,
Into a sanctuary, where there is sleep and incense
Like little devils having burst,
These my poems about youth and about death,
This unread verse!
Scattered through shops in piles of dust
Where nobody picked them up or does,
These my poems, like precious wine,
Will have their time.

by ~ Marina Tsvetaeva (1892-1941) Russia

-------------------

PIECES

I remember you so innocent and young
Reveling in the days life had just begun
Seeing and feeling the wonder in everything
Your laughter and dance the gifts you bring
Taken from this world you never grew to sin
And somehow I know I'll meet you again
Hey child I hope someday you will see
There are pieces of you that make up the puzzle that is me
I don't know if you changed or fulfilled my destiny
We are different parts of the same mystery
Living forever in each others memories
Sitting there in her rocking chair
her soft blue eyes and silvery hair
If you listen you can travel through time
She smiles and she rocks as she drifts in her mind
There is wisdom and answers in the lines on her face
She has shared so many tales of another place
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity
Now you are a piece of the puzzle that is me
Each of us a part of the same mystery
Living forever we're in each others memories

Yea girl we swam in a sea of uncertainty
Shared dreams, fears and insecurities
When I said I didn't love you I meant myself
Another chapter in the book of life upon my shelf
I was lost in the storm of so many lies
When all the truth I ever needed was in your eyes
I hope you are everything you wanted to be
You are so many of the pieces of the puzzle that is me
You know we're different parts of the same mystery
Forever ingrained in each others memories

A man in the streets told me I was one of the chosen ones
Said in the end we'll return where we are from
He already found the PEACE that made him whole
The words he spoke brought comfort to my soul
Then he reached into my thoughts and took away the pain
At that moment the sky opened up as it began to rain

You are no longer a stranger to me
Leaving behind the pieces that set my spirit free
Leading me down a path towards my destiny
We're all parts of history composing this mystery
Everthing we are is pieces of memories.

by Rick Yessian

edit on 1/31/2013 by chrisb9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by chrisb9

I really enjoyed that Russian poem. Thanks so much for sharing. I found it inspiring as well. I mentioned way back in my first reply that an editor/publisher got a hold of my portfolio. Apparently she is very impressed and is interested in seeing some more.

My efforts have been revitalized and I'm working hard on sprucing up some of my old pieces and completing some new ones.

Thanks again for that poem. It reminds me that I have to write for myself and not anyone else. When you write for someone else, you're invariably going to be disappointed with how it's received.

Forever weird!

edit on 31-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by shrevegal
you say there is a spot I can put a few on ATS?

As far as I know, the Short Stories and perhaps General Chit-Chat forums (maybe Member Art) might be the only places you can get away with posting poetry.

Just stick it in short stories though...you can't go wrong. And the Short Stories forum needs MORE poetry. I am amazed at how little poetry is in there.

new topics

top topics

join