It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hanging out with Liberals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
One thing that I rate a political philosophy on, or any on that matter, is its practical effect upon hanging out with people who adhere to that philosophy. I hung out with a bunch of college-educated liberals recently who are friends of mine.

"I don't like Pokemon because it takes time and effort to level up your Pokemon, that means that anyone can do it."

When playing Halo 3, we set the settings so that everyone could have the same competitive experience regardless of how much effort they had put into learning the game previously.

When playing a game similar to Descent: Into Darkness, the person in charge was personally offended when I asked specifics on the rules, he expected me to learn them on my own time before playing or something. Or maybe he thought that knowing the rules was a commodity he owned.

When talking about how I liked to challenge myself with competitive gaming, or how I liked to master a subject in depth in general, the girls in this particular crowd seemed intent on stopping me from it.

When talking, the conversations seemed to be fake and pointless. Everyone seemed to be afraid to share their opinion or get into deep conversation. People were so sensitive to constructive criticism that issues went unresolved, and a lot of individual potential was lost, as well as relationship potential.

There was this idea that reliability and effort are not what counts in a relationship or in life, or even getting to know each other. - There was high pressure to conform and to not have contrary viewpoints or act out of character.

This was only one experience though, it is probably different for everyone.
edit on 27-1-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Wow, sounds like a room full of straw men. Also, don't blame a college education on your inability to pick friends. Also, what sort of friend are you to deride their personalities to prove your point?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

You sure you weren't hanging out with some conservatives?
Cuz that sounds familiar.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Vain and shallow post which invents, vain and shallow people.

Pokemon and Halo? You spend your time in a coffee shop talking about Pokemon and Halo-then complain about lack of depth because you-presumably are into those two items.

Or this is some bad trolling.

Either way, its a head shaker.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Just cause you hung out with some douche bags who are liberals doesn't mean over-generalizing is a good idea.

It'd be like if I spent the day with Sarah Palin and Ted Nugent and said, "Welp, this is how stupid and crazy all conservatives must be."

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
It was at someone's house and they were talking about Pokemon and Halo themselves, I was just listening. I don't hang out in coffee shops unless I am writing.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Another one of these threads eh? Why, if liberals are traitors, do you continue to be friends with them? Perhaps you need new friends.

CJ

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I think I see where you’re going with this thread. Good for you in trying to keep the conversation going…no matter what the subject.

I have many Liberal friends who often end up shouting at me during conversations/debates. I always put a hand on their shoulder and tell them that I am a couple of feet away and can hear them just fine in a normal tone. That usually quiets them down a notch. But it doesn’t really change their opinion on how others life’s should be led.

Somehow, we remain friends. Though at times I think that they are thinking;

“Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.”

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
One thing that I rate a political philosophy on, or any on that matter, is its practical effect upon hanging out with people who adhere to that philosophy. I hung out with a bunch of college-educated liberals recently who are friends of mine.

"I don't like Pokemon because it takes time and effort to level up your Pokemon, that means that anyone can do it."

When playing Halo 3, we set the settings so that everyone could have the same competitive experience regardless of how much effort they had put into learning the game previously.

When playing a game similar to Descent: Into Darkness, the person in charge was personally offended when I asked specifics on the rules, he expected me to learn them on my own time before playing or something. Or maybe he thought that knowing the rules was a commodity he owned.

When talking about how I liked to challenge myself with competitive gaming, or how I liked to master a subject in depth in general, the girls in this particular crowd seemed intent on stopping me from it.

When talking, the conversations seemed to be fake and pointless. Everyone seemed to be afraid to share their opinion or get into deep conversation. People were so sensitive to constructive criticism that issues went unresolved, and a lot of individual potential was lost, as well as relationship potential.

There was this idea that reliability and effort are not what counts in a relationship or in life, or even getting to know each other. - There was high pressure to conform and to not have contrary viewpoints or act out of character.

This was only one experience though, it is probably different for everyone.

Was Chairman Mao one of the libs?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Well, I seek balance and I live in a state (Idaho) where the conservatives are way too conservative for me, but the liberals I know in town come from the a ridiculously liberal college that is my Alma Mater.

So at first, I show up and I am stoked to hang out with them, but by the end of it all, I come home to my conservative room-mates excited to see them.

When I lived in Washington, I was more liberal (I try to stay in the center) but living with room-mates has changed my perspective for the worse (since I prefer to be in the center more or less)...

So when I go hang out with them, my perspective is like I've been living with conservative room-mates. I am outnumbered 3-1.

I put this in general chit-chat to gain some perspective without taking it too seriously.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Yeah, Mao was one of those all right, it is possible there were some Communists in the group.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by VivaDiscordia
Wow, sounds like a room full of straw men. Also, don't blame a college education on your inability to pick friends. Also, what sort of friend are you to deride their personalities to prove your point?

This is hilarious.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

"College educated liberals" you say. Is this different from non-college educated liberals? You state you are hanging out with kids from your alma mater...are you a college educated neo-con? Why are you still hanging out with college kids in that setting if you have graduated? And again, why would anyone want to hang out with people who are 18+ and discussing pokemon? This thread is an eye-opener.

CJ

top topics

join