It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Letter from Banksy-

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
More than just a talented artist Banksy is a revolutionary, an enigma, a legend. When everybody else is succumbing to consumerism, materialism, big brother and corporate bullying there is Banksy ready to take the pi$$ out of it all.

I found his work at the West Bank in Israel especially poignant:

His "Unwelcome Intervention" is probably my favorite arts.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 28-1-2013 by Ginga because: added video

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ginga

Really..... Seems you don't know much about street art/graff.
If you did you'd know Banksy is a sellout.

He copied Blek Le Rat for one. (who is the pioneer of this "stencil" movement)
Banksy also makes fortunes off his paintings. They aren't just to make a statement anymore, they are also for him to become rich off Google Images.
--Bet he buys some Versace shoes with that money.
Banksy sells Art
(Celebrities collect his art)
Which apparently he doesn't mind.....

Wanna see some mofo be for REAL about his movement?
Youtube KIDULT.
edit on 28-1-2013 by resoe26 because: (no reason given)

Edit
KIDULT ARMY
edit on 28-1-2013 by resoe26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
reply to post by KingIcarus

The clue to Banksy's particular brilliance is in the second externally linked image in n00bUK's post upthread.

I don't doubt it, but if Banksy actually meant that, he'd be open to people reinterpeting his own his ideas. He's not, and aggressively pursues unlicensed reproductions too.

Although, obviously it's all down to his agents and suchlike.

edit on 28-1-2013 by KingIcarus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
What a relief to find at least two other ATSers not taken in by the 'Banksy corp' hypocrisy.

To Resoe and Kingicarus thanks for the info I knew nothing of his nefarious frauds. I just aways felt that he'd become the epitome of what he'd suppsed to be against.

I also think that many banksy fans amongst the dumbed down general public have no idea these works are mostly made with stencils and well planned ahead of time. Additionally I don't believe banksy encorporated is one man anymore. There's a group of them now.

Despite all this I like banksy 'art'. Oh and thanks for the heads up on these other artists.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Turn off your Tv. Your computer. Your phone. Your tablet. Your radio. be your own person. That is just to much to ask for people today. Instead some guy shapes word like a coke bottle and people complain about not be able to get away from the all the product commercail for stuff they feel compelled to buy. No forced anyone to buy anything. Ok maybe Obamacare did. But just be true to yourself and now of this effects you. Not having the will power isn't anyones fault but yours.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythots
Turn off your Tv. Your computer.

...says the guy on the computer

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by BrandonD

Well if you would have read and quoted the rest of my post instead of using a few words to make yourself look good and get a zing in . maybe you would realize what I was trying to say.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

Why shouldn't he make money off his art? The idea that artists should stay poor for their entire lives is something concocted by the agents who are always super fast to cash in on their clients work when they are dead.

Banksy is a true artist and some his works are total genius.

KIDULT has his own merchandise?

edit on 28-1-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Fantastic! S&F

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Sorry if this is straying off topic a bit, but when I hear people discuss art\artists and the ever-present complications of honesty and integrity vs. hypocrisy and selling out, I always think of this Mark Knopfler\Dire Straits song.
"In The Gallery" I think it's brilliant.

Harry made a bareback rider... proud and free, upon a horse
And a fine coal miner for the NCB that was
A fallen angel, and Jesus on the cross
A skating ballerina... you should have seen her do the skater's waltz

Some people have got to paint and draw
Harry had to work in clay and stone
Like the waves coming to the shore
It was in his blood and in his bones
He was ignored by all the trendy boys in London, yes and in Leeds
He might as well have been making toys or strings of beads
He couldn't be in the gallery

And then you get an 'artist', he says he doesn't want to paint at all
He takes an empty canvas, and sticks it on the wall
The birds of a feather all the phonies and all of the fakes
While the dealers they get together
And they decide who gets the breaks
And who's going to be in the gallery

No lies he wouldn't compromise
No junk no bits of string
And all the lies we subsidize
That just don't mean a thing
I've got to say, he passed away, in obscurity
And now all the vultures are coming down from the tree
He's going to be in the gallery

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythots
reply to post by BrandonD

Well if you would have read and quoted the rest of my post instead of using a few words to make yourself look good and get a zing in . maybe you would realize what I was trying to say.

Sorry about that, I couldn't resist.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Outstanding. I like Banksy.

When corporations do it its called advertising, when we do it its called graffiti.

Corporations own everything, you just try buying some advertising space in the Main Stream. Thats not "illegal", you just can't afford it.

Monopolistic.

Now go outside and "deface" something.

edit on 28-1-2013 by intrptr because: Image

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ParanoidAmerican

Sorry if this is rude but.. didn't shepard fairey create the 'hope' poster in support of Obama?..
What is wrong with stealing art? Everything is stolen art, it is the intention that matters.
Whether banksy makes money off of his work or not.. when a person looks at his work they are
inspired by it, to look at things from a different perspective.
It's like if someone stole some medicine from a factory and gave it to a dying child..
the source may not be righteous but the cause is.. :L
Now Obama... he's a different story

Priorities...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
whilst ive never been really interested in banksy , he has highlighted the complete hypocracy in government over graffiti and vandalism policy !

this however is a very good use of typography and a great message !

I can see coca cola using this in some smart ad campaign and switchin it on banksy like it was their idea all along !

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by resoe26

Why shouldn't he make money off his art? The idea that artists should stay poor for their entire lives is something concocted by the agents who are always super fast to cash in on their clients work when they are dead.

Banksy is a true artist and some his works are total genius.

KIDULT has his own merchandise?

edit on 28-1-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

KIDULT GIVES HIS SHIRTS AWAY FOR FREE.

I'm not saying ANYONE shouldnt make money off thier art. Hell, I have been in a few shows with my graffiti. Sold a few paintings. The only thing is, the message that Banksy portrays (against consumerism and how society is in general) contridicts the way he goes about things.

The guy banks on copying Blek Le Rat. But considers himself a true "street" artist. Which is far from the truth. Anyone can do what banksy does. Stencils are cake. He computer generates all of his "stencils".
---And bottom line is, The guy went over a Mr.Robbo piece. Like c'mon man. You went over a Mr. Robbo piece with you #ty Stencil?

-That is when MANY graff artist lost the small respect they even had for the biter.
edit on 29-1-2013 by resoe26 because: (no reason given)

Banksy Is a Sellout
Robbo VS Banksy

You can search up more if you want.
Most REAL graff artists hate the guy.
He is the reason that all these new hipster fools are putting stencils all over walls now.
A effin 3 year old can do stencil graff.
edit on 29-1-2013 by resoe26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by merkins
What a relief to find at least two other ATSers not taken in by the 'Banksy corp' hypocrisy.

To Resoe and Kingicarus thanks for the info I knew nothing of his nefarious frauds. I just aways felt that he'd become the epitome of what he'd suppsed to be against.

I also think that many banksy fans amongst the dumbed down general public have no idea these works are mostly made with stencils and well planned ahead of time. Additionally I don't believe banksy encorporated is one man anymore. There's a group of them now.

Despite all this I like banksy 'art'. Oh and thanks for the heads up on these other artists.

At least there are a few ATSers on here that can see through the BS
"I just aways felt that he'd become the epitome of what he'd suppsed to be against."
EXACTLY

-I don't think he is one man anymore either. He is doing it out just like Shepard Fairey's stupid a$$.
People don't know what graff is about anymore.
Check these artist on youtube for some real #.

AUGOR
REVOK (interviews)
POSE (interviews)
and the full movie titled "STATE YOUR NAME"
SYN is about as real as it gets in New York.
(which they are more into throwies than anything)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

Im glad that there are others who detest him! I wasnt going to come right out and say but I really dont like him at all!

His pieces of "street art" are maintained by city councils in the UK whilst other more talented artists have theirs buffed on the regular , what may have taken him and his pals an hour to do at night , may have taken a real graffiti artist 2 -3 hours to paint a proper masterpiece , or a full wall ! then the council come and buff it!

Just because Banksy has been endorsed by the media and celebs who buy his art , he is a total hypocrite ! the only reason I can stand him is that he has only served to highlight the hypocracy in our governments attitudes towards graffiti ! As long as your endorsed your art work stays ! if your a no one you get buffed ! so lets face it unless the beckhams bought your artwork your getting buffed !

As I said coca cola will put a spin on this if it goes viral and claim he was part of some new Anti adv campaign , in a way banksy was trying to be anti establishment using the coke colours and bottle to promote a message to make him seem cool , but really all its done is reinforced coca colas branding ! we still know its coke , so our brains think about coca cola ! so we want to buy one and drink whilst we read his message !

In the end he is far from original hence the reason he used the coke bottle and colours ! as resoe mentioned he is a biter ! and there is nothing worse in the hiphop culture as a biter ! Ive seen stencil work which blows banksy clean out the water , but they dont catch fame because they get buffed !

I could go on for days about him but id rather not waste my time !

edit to add : if Banksy was so anti corporation isntead of making this small type design he would have went to the coke factory and painted a huge piece ripping them to shreds on the factory wall , but he didnt because he is a fraud ! A real graffiti artist who was so politically inclined would have done just that , tresspassed and painted in 40ft letters saying COKE CORPORATE WHORES! or something to that effect
edit on 29-1-2013 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

We got a winner!
Well put Sapien. Cheers to you homeboy.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by el1jah

Good evening ATS, I wanted to share this powerful message from the infamous graffiti artist/activist Banksy. It's food for thought regarding the paradigm we find ourselves in. I for one wish I was free from being exposed to the lies and trickery of the advertisements plastered accross the walls and streets of our public spaces, telling me what I should look like or how to label my brothers and sisters based on the concepts dumped on us by the corporate empire. Took the liberty of censoring it a bit for ATS, wish I didn't have to, but, when in rome.....

then i would suggest you first turn off your television - there are many links out there which will give you more information regarding social conditioning!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by KingIcarus

Maybe Banksy is purposely being hypocritical to prove a point? As posted by n00bUK: www.banksy.co.uk...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join