It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

just an observation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
i was at the local publixs today as i was calmly walking down the bread isle, as people calmly & politely went around me with their carts , i paused & imagined how diffrent it would be if the SHTF i mean the shelves wiped clean!!!! not a scrap to be had .
I realize that 98% of the people in that food store it never entered thier mind that what they see & compare for food could be gone in mins if we had a situation that demanded you stock up on life sastaining food .& water'.
im not a prepper but the more i think about how comfortable & at the fingertips/ microwave society we have become, the more it scares me & yea i picked a couple of extra cans & water . but is as bad as i think it could be or am i blowing an event like war or marshall law out of proportion ???

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by blackz28

I think that's one of the main reasons that a lot more people are turning to alternative ways of living e.g. off the grid etc.

If something like that did happen the vast majority of the population would be f'd. Difficult to comprehend.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I agree that if something were to happen we'd all be screwed, my family included. We got a ton of cans and food in the cupboard that would last awhile, but water? maybe not...

I'm sure this scenario has never even crossed a lot of people's minds. Without looking strange or paranoid there's really no good way to bring it up either.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
If you drop what you're doing to go off-grid, or at least invest in some weapons, ammo, dehydrated food & a good stock of water then you'll decrease your current funds by a good amount. If you drop it all, you'll be living a life at let's say 40% comfortability.
BUT, if something DOES happen, you'll be living at 40% maximum comfortability still, or 100% comfortability IN COMPARISON to people who were not prepared.

OR...you can stick with "that will never happen" and live fully comfortable now, but be 100% screwed if something bad happens to the population.

I'll take living at 40% comfortability pre-event and post-event
over
100% pre-event and 0% post-event.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Ex-tropical cyclone Oswald has just finished raining on SE Queensland, dumped a lot of rain. One town copped 1000 mm (over a yard) of rain in a couple of days. Even where it wasnt as bad many are cut off whilst the waters recede. My inlaws cant get out to a store at the moment and my sister in law is one of the 11,000 homes without power. Not such a bad idea to have at least a weeks worth of food and clean water at all times and a small generator to at least run the fridge and freezer on.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Well, that is a fair observation. A lot of us wouldn´t know the first thing about survival.

Then again, I guess we shouldn´t underestimate the human will to survive. We are capable of some pretty impressive things if we have to.

Plus as always in life, it is the middle ground that is the right one.

Being a little bit prepared (having some fresh water, food and batteries stored) can´t harm anyone.

Being overprepared (building your own bunker, really investing in it) and worry too much surely won´t help though.

I guess everyone has to decide for themselves what they deem necessary and what not.
edit on 28-1-2013 by Nightaudit because: spelling

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

We have become too reliable on manufacturing of goods and whatnot that in the case this scenerio did happen hundreds if not thousands of people would die, the cities would become ghost cities. However, in the rural areas where I reside we rarely go to the markets to buy food or milk; a lot of the people around here also have their own wells, our fail safe to a well drying up is the nearby lake.

It is the bitter truth of our society now; a lot of people have become, dare I say, SHEEPLE.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by EL1A5

We have become too reliable on manufacturing of goods and whatnot that in the case this scenerio did happen hundreds if not thousands of people would die, the cities would become ghost cities. However, in the rural areas where I reside we rarely go to the markets to buy food or milk; a lot of the people around here also have their own wells, our fail safe to a well drying up is the nearby lake.

It is the bitter truth of our society now; a lot of people have become, dare I say, SHEEPLE.

thats true i used to live on a 25 acres of land in NH before moving to gods waiting room & we had all the things we need to survive really , we had a pond & forest in the back half of the land & had animals for years before i got rid of them, no i wish i didnt move

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I know what i'd be doing in that situation...getting as far away from people as possible except a few friends to go endless camping..

Fishing and hunting to survive with fresh water from rivers/rainwater here in BC..

edit on 28-1-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I know what i'd be doing in that situation...getting as far away from people as possible except a few friends to go endless camping..

Fishing and hunting to survive with fresh water from rivers/rainwater here in BC..

again I agree the midwest & canada would survive the best BUT ... if your on 1 of the coast your screwed, they say that 90% of americans live near the coast
it figures i moved to fla & have 0 chance of getting out of here since florida is basically an island attached to georiga

edit on 28-1-2013 by blackz28 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackz28

Originally posted by yourmaker

again I agree the midwest & canada would survive the best BUT ... if your on 1 of the coast your screwed, they say that 90% of americans live near the coast
it figures i moved to fla & have 0 chance of getting out of here since florida is basically an island attached to georiga

edit on 28-1-2013 by blackz28 because: (no reason given)

I'm right on the coast, right on the border with Washington State, how does that make you feel?

90% of Canada's population lives within 100km of the border.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
ahh so your part of the 90% to

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Buy some guns, wood, nails, and tools. If the #-house goes down in flames, grab your guns and start doing on to others before they do on to you, find the preppers and plot a strategy at taking what they gathered. Become the hunter, let others spend all their money and decrease their comfortability in the frantic fervour of being ready and spending the money. All is fair at the end, and you need that stuff, dammit.
edit on 2-2-2013 by Daeobi because: Correcting weird typo...nothing to see here!

top topics

join