GOP thinking about more gerrymandering.....

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
the GOP seems to have decided that rather than be democratic and make themselves more appealing to the US public by, you know, changing policies, they will instead try to "fix" the electoral system

Republicans alarmed at the apparent challenges they face in winning the White House are preparing an all-out assault on the Electoral College system in critical states, an initiative that would significantly ease the party's path to the Oval Office.

Senior Republicans say they will try to leverage their party's majorities in Democratic-leaning states in an effort to end the winner-take-all system of awarding electoral votes. Instead, bills that will be introduced in several Democratic states would award electoral votes on a proportional basis.

note that they are not proposing to do this in any "Republican-leaning" states - oh no - that would be fair and reasonable.

Let's face it - the GOP have totally lost the plot

Message to the GOP - DEMOCRACY MEANS YOU LOSE WHEN YOU ARE UNPOPULAR!

Given this, plus that Voter suppression is mostly a Republican tactic you have to wonder how these people can keep claiming to be defenders of any sort of democratic values at all!!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Look, our "voting" is broken. Until we fix that, all elections are suspect.

National ID / Voter Registration.

One Vote per person, for sure, confirmed.

140% voter turn-outs, vote early, vote often, votes from dead and non-existent people has to stop.

This is a 1st world country, there is absolutely not one real damned reason we cannot verify citizenship, eligibility, and drive fraud out 100% other than the fact that a major political party benefits from having loose voter laws.

This is truth, bring on the voter suppression propaganda bull but there is absolutely zero feasible reason that every citizen cannot be correctly accounted for, ID'ed and have zero fraud other than the fact than a major party does not want that to happen.

And yes, the other political party, knowing that the voting system cannot be correctly fixed is trying to do their underhanded crap to compensate.

Even better, those who wish can volunteer for a post-election survey to verify the person on their voting receipt received their vote via online portal. See if we have full ACCOUNTABILITY and Transparency, we can do those kind of things.

DEMAND that our elections are fraud-proof and transparent !

Or do you want another Florida? The loose voter laws backfire sometimes and your side looses. Do you want another Bush in office through loose voter laws? It works both ways.

edit on 27-1-2013 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Both parties are garbage. I would bet that if the Democrats had lost the election instead of the Republicans then they would be trying something like this right now.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Well, to be fair...it is pretty hard to look at this County by County map of the actual result outcome for the 2012 election and understand quite how it came to be an overwhelming landslide in electoral vote count for the BLUE.

I don't dispute his win. In past elections, similar things have happened and been to the favor of the guy I was rooting for. It would be the height of hypocrisy to sit here now and make excuses for how it's supposed to be different and Obama's win doesn't count by the same rules and system because he's Obama or has a D after his name instead of an R.

Having said that and noted how it should have nothing to do with the sitting President? The idea our system needs reform on the district level can't much be argued. In every example of a Gerrymandered Republican map in a blue state...I'll show you one from a place like Dallas or Houston or other red states for the way the Democrats have played this like a grand piano.

The whole system is screwed ...and now's as good a time as any to fix it. Republicans being the ones working the problem tho? Well, I'll agree that isn't fixing anything. It's just breaking it in a new way, yet again.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t
Both parties are garbage. I would bet that if the Democrats had lost the election instead of the Republicans then they would be trying something like this right now.

entirely possible - but still speculation 'cos they didn't and they aren't.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
In every example of a Gerrymandered Republican map in a blue state...I'll show you one from a place like Dallas or Houston or other red states for the way the Democrats have played this like a grand piano.

I'm not familiar - when & where?

Of course there's a reason there's a word "Gerrymander" in the first place - although looking at eth history I see it came from someone who was in the Democrat-Republicans in 1812 - how ironic!

The whole system is screwed ...and now's as good a time as any to fix it. Republicans being the ones working the problem tho? Well, I'll agree that isn't fixing anything. It's just breaking it in a new way, yet again.

With all the ranting against the GOP, it is also important to remember that not all of them are nutcases - Bob McDonnell, Governor of Virginia is against the plan-

And should it clear the legislature, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell announced Friday he opposes it. Spokesman J. Tucker Martin said McDonnell, a Republican, "believes Virginia's system works just fine."

and from the same article

Republican Sens. Jill Vogel of Fauquier County, who abstained from voting in the subcommittee, and Ralph Smith of Roanoke County said Friday they would vote against the bill when it appears before the full committee.

Vogel, a former Republican National Committee election lawyer, said she saw no problem with the bill's legality, but objected to the image it creates for her party so soon after Obama's victory last fall.

"It's the timing of it," she said. "It's just an awful impression it makes."

Hmmm......not so wonderful, but OK...

And a bit more reasonable - actualy totally reasonable -

Smith said the measure violates his sense of order and fair play.

"I think every state needs to have the same plan. Two states do it already, but that doesn't make it right," Smith said. "More important than the interests of either party is a level playing field."
edit on 27-1-2013 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Oh really? Looks like they tried something similar in 2005 after losing to Bush for the second time. Ohio Democrats Fighting to Change Election Process

You know what I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the legislation that the article you linked to in your op talks about will end up with the same fate as the one I just linked to.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t

Oh really?

Yes...really - contrary to popular perception I do not now, nor have I ever claimed to, know everything there is to know!

And i dont' expect to do so any time soon either

Looks like they tried something similar in 2005 after losing to Bush for the second time. Ohio Democrats Fighting to Change Election Process

there is a subtle difference between the 2 that you have not noticed perhaps??

Critics of the Republican grip on Ohio politics filed petitions on Tuesday that seek a statewide vote on three constitutional amendments that would overturn the way elections are run and strip elected officials of their power to draw legislative districts. The move, by the group Reform Ohio Now, is an effort to tap into sentiment across the country to remove political influence from the mechanics of elections. The movement has been sparked in part by partisan lines that are sharply reducing electoral competition in Congress and by efforts by political outsiders like Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger of California to upend the established order.

Looks to me like they weer fed up with the GOP doing the sort of things hte GOP is still trying to do - so it was an attempt to REMOVE political influence from the electoral process it. Wheras in Arizona they are trying to USE political influence.

So it dosen't look like the same thing to me at all - in fact it looks like the GOP was doing then the sort of thing they want to do now, and the Dems tried to stop them.

It might not have been perfect, but to me it looks somewhat more reasonable than the current GOP proposal.

You know what I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the legislation that the article you linked to in your op talks about will end up with the same fate as the one I just linked to.

I expect so too.
edit on 27-1-2013 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well, to be fair...it is pretty hard to look at this County by County map of the actual result outcome for the 2012 election and understand quite how it came to be an overwhelming landslide in electoral vote count for the BLUE.

It's actually not hard, when you consider that map doesn't count votes per county and only assigns blue or red to whichever had the most votes. More counties are purple now than red or blue. Here's a link to a 3D map that counts vote per county, it's quite a telling picture. It is a very large file so the page might take a while to load depending on your machine or connection.

www.princeton.edu...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I never said it was the same thing. I said that it was similar. Big difference between the meaning of those two words. Saying that, it doesn't change the fact that the Democrats, as a bunch of sore losers, tried to change the way the election process works after losing an election. JUST like the Republicans are trying to do in your op. I notice that the Democrats aren't trying to implement the changes I linked to from that 2005 article now that their guy is in office. If this was really about equality of voting, they'd still be pushing for that legislation 8 years later and when their guy is also in office.

In the end, both your article and my article just show that the two major political parties are sore losers and after they lose, they try to change the system so next time they can win. This idiocy isn't anything new as political parties have been trying to get unfair advantages over their opponents dating back to the birth of our country. To read into this as anything but an agenda for the respective party trying it is dumb.
edit on 27-1-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

join