It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Republicans Propose Bill That Would Not Allow Atheists To Graduate High School

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
When I was an atheist I would have gladly read that and just pretended like I believed and not made a big deal because I had gotten my diploma.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

It matters, especially when you swear an oath. It's a serious matter. When you swear an oath, you are bound to it and so is the honour of your word.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I worship a pantheon of Gods. Which one? It's best not to even mention the name of some of my gods as they might be considered demons by some in the Republican Christian Right. Best let sleeping Gods lie.

Any way a team of young attorneys are processing this foolishness, looking to kick some old GOP lawyers butt and make a name for themselves.
edit on 28-1-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

You do realise America is a Christian nation right? Over 400 court rulings and a Supreme Court ruling have stated America is a Christian nation. One of the Supreme judges even wrote a book on why the ruling was declared.

I thought protecting minority from majority was an American ideal. I thought freedom of speech was an American Ideal. I thought separation of Church and State was an American ideal. Why are you forgoing those to make that point?? Is it because your primary interest is supporting Christianity? Seems so.

if I didn't believe in a god, I could care less what god i swore to. He isn't even real, right?

I don't believe you would be okay if those students were made to say "Allah" instead of "God". Why does it makes sense for you to show opposition for giving oath to a god you don't believe in, but the atheist should just do it and get over it....

If you don't like it, rebel.

Now THAT is an oath I can take with sincerity!

edit on 28-1-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Y'all are so worried about non-existent gun bans, non-existant threats to your constitutional rights, you are missing the REAL danger to the USA - religious idiots!

no, the real problem to the USA is degenerate democrats.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

Not inequality. Not poverty. Not depression. Not lack of renewable energy. Not banking shenanigans.

Nope.

Crazy liberals.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by bjax9er

Not inequality. Not poverty. Not depression. Not lack of renewable energy. Not banking shenanigans.

Nope.

Crazy liberals.

yup exactly.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

Damn I had no idea.

Are you recruiting? I'm on the wrong side.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

meh, the Atheists don't mind telling people they can't celebrate their Christmas traditions, so screw em!!

See how that works?

When you start bitchin about how other people live, don't belly ache and whine when things don't go your way!

Besides, if they don't believe in God, then what's the big deal?

Say it, get your diploma and be on with life......

Edit: I don't believe in the God of Abraham, but my point is that I am sick and tired of other people telling others how to live!

Do I see the Athiests complain about God being on the money they spend????

As to you OP! You have been quite vocal about taking away peoples second ammendment rights in my country, and I find the hypocracy of your post simply amazing!
edit on 27-1-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

Nobody said Christians can't celebrate Christmas.
Ever.

You're delusional.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taliesien333
reply to post by seeker1963

meh, the Atheists don't mind telling people they can't celebrate their Christmas traditions, so screw em!!

I've never told anyone they can't celebrate their Christmas or any other holiday/religious tradition.

Besides, if they don't believe in God, then what's the big deal? Say it, get your diploma and be on with life......

A lack in belief of God doesn't represent a lack of belief in honor, sincerity, or truth.
Some people take oaths and their word seriously, it may be hard to believe, but some of those people don't believe in God. So you promote lying and oath-breaking? Is that an example of good christian morals?

Well if you'd ever read the Bible, you'd know that it is.

Unfortunately he probably hasn't read it, along with the other 99.9 repeating % of the followers of all Abrahamic religions.

Before you ask, yes - I have.

There are no morals. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to find 5 consecutive pages in the entire Bible in which god doesn't contradict his own morality. It's quite Christian to say one thing and do the other. As long as you don't question your ruling authority.

It even says that god is evil, blatantly.

EXODUS 32:14

New International Version (©1984) Then the LORD relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened.

New Living Translation (©2007) So the LORD changed his mind about the terrible disaster he had threatened to bring on his people.

English Standard Version (©2001) And the LORD relented from the disaster that he had spoken of bringing on his people.

New American Standard Bible (©1995) So the LORD changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people.

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009) So the LORD relented concerning the disaster He said He would bring on His people.

International Standard Version (©2012) So the LORD changed his mind about the calamity he had said he would bring on his people.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.) And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995) So the LORD reconsidered his threat to destroy his people.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003) And the LORD turned from the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

American King James Version And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do to his people.

American Standard Version And Jehovah repented of the evil which he said he would do unto his people.

Douay-Rheims Bible And the Lord was appeased from doing the evil which he had spoken against his people.

Darby Bible Translation And Jehovah repented of the evil that he had said he would do to his people.

English Revised Version And the LORD repented of the evil which he said he would do unto his people.

Webster's Bible Translation And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do to his people.

World English Bible Yahweh repented of the evil which he said he would do to his people.

Young's Literal Translation and Jehovah repenteth of the evil which He hath spoken of doing to His people.

AFTER HE'S DONE "RECONSIDERING" KILLING THEM, HE JUST GOES AND KILLS THEM ANYWAY. THIS IS AFTER PROMISING MOSES HE WOULDN'T. Yes, I'm aware this is just a bunch of ill-thought fairytales.. But the point remains the same: It's not interpreted wrong. God tells Moses he wouldn't kill innocent people, then murders a city which he admits innocent people live in.

It's in every version of the Bible. Period.

So don't be surprised when Christians condone evil #. They worship an evil god, after all. A god which can make human mistakes - which kind of defeats the entire purpose of worshiping him in the first place. What's the difference between him and Zeus? I mean, they even both impregnate ladies without their consent.
edit on 29-1-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by bjax9er

Nope.

Crazy liberals.

inequality:
maybe you should study the history of the democrat party.

poverty:
$18 trillion on the "war on poverty"

depression:
repeal of glass stegal,
community reinvestment act
dodd frank
stimulus
abovetopsecret.com

renewable energy:
there is enough oil in America alone to last a 1000 years. i think were ok.

banking shenanigans:
again
repeal of glass stegal
community reinvestment act
dodd frank

why has BHO and the unjustice department not prosecuted any bankers?
because they would have to prosecute themselves first.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
Well when guns are suddenly items of religion then you know the place has gone to pot, now probably this is why we Brits are happy to have you Americans thousands of miles away as most of the nutters who thought that way went on the sail boats so they're your problems now but given enough time and a strong enough conservative attitude even fire would be considered heretical thought

Instead the mayority of the oppressors stayed in Britain and Europe, hence today's Britons and other Europeans who can't think for themselves without asking their government what to do, and how to live their lives... Not to mention DEMANDING their governments to FORCE other people to live their lives as the European dictator wannabes want them to live...

Unfortunately the same mentallity has been brainwashed into a few Americans, and soon enough those Americans will be calling Obama their messiah as "your highness" and will crown him King, just like Britons still in this day and age have royal families who do have power and influence, and not to mention a lot of money...

But hey, despite the fact that Europeans still have royal families "Americans are the uncivilized barbarians for wanting to keep their Second Amendment RIGTHS"...

We are in the 1700s all over again with most Europeans and a few others who think themselves as "the only civilized people because of their beliefs" and once again these same kind of people are wanting to control the rest of the world by forcing their ideologies like they did to the colonists...

But hey, as long as they keep claiming "we Britons/Europeans are civilized, and you Americans are but bloody barbarians with your guns/firearms" it must be true huh?...

edit on 29-1-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: errors

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

First of all, this is wrong. NO ONE should be imposing their ideologies on other people, but are you really that different from them. Look in the mirror and be honest. You don't have any ideologies you want to impose on others? Such as maybe agreeing with FORCING other people to pay for abortions despite them knowing it is murder of innocent human lives...or taking away/restricting the Second Amendment right or something similar?... Maybe even forcing people to accept Anthropogenic Global Warming?...

BTW, here is your "non-existant" attemp by your King and saviour to ban firearms...

Straight from a law enforcement link...

Obama Asks Police To Help Pass Gun Legislation
"Hopefully if law enforcement officials who are dealing with this stuff every single day can come to some basic consensus in terms of steps that we need to take," he told the Associated Press. "Congress is going to be paying attention to them, and we'll be able to make progress."

Obama also met in the White House's Roosevelt Room with members of the Major Cities Chiefs Association and the Major County Sheriffs Association, including U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau, and Hennepin County (Minn.) Sheriff Richard Stanek.

Obama has urged Congress to ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. He has proposed additional funding to hire officers to guard schools and urged Congress to address mental health issues.

www.policemag.com...

edit on 29-1-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Oh, and btw, in case you are still living in lala land, which you seem to be, there are already several states in the Republic of the United States in which firearms are either banned or heavily restricted...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Arizona Republicans Propose Bill That Would Not Allow Atheists To Graduate High School

w ww.patheos.com

A group of Arizona politicians — all Republicans, of course — have proposed a law (House Bill 2467) requiring public high school students to recite the following oath in order to graduate:
"I, _______, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic,....so help me god"
(visit the link for the full news article)

I think the whole idea is stupid, but let me throw my two cents in regarding oaths.

When I swore into the military, I was told before I took the oath that if I did not feel comfortable saying "..so help me god." I did not have to say it. In fact they made that abundantly clear.
I'm guessing you've never taken an oath because you don't seem to understand how they work and how they're done.

It kinda seems like you saw the word 'god' and got your panties in a twist.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Sex education:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
This is simple. Stop telling other people what they can and can't do. Dems and Repubs both try to tell people what to do with guns, religion, smoking, abortion, pot...whatever. They both suck. Don't support either of these groups of tools. Don't force others to give up their guns or say crap they don't believe. It boggles my mind that the intelligent people on this site argue right and left BS. That is the whole plan to keep us busy while we ALL lose our freedoms. People need to stop inflicting their beliefs on others.

No victim = no crime.
edit on 2013/1/29 by Metallicus because: Grammar

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

It's to bad. I wouldn't live in a country that didn't support my ideals. If you don't like God in America you can get over it, rebel, or move.

The Supreme Court and 100s of court rulings say America is formed by Christianity, therefore a Christian nation. If you don't believe in a God then move if it bothers you, or rebel. No, I don't persecute you for not being a Christian, but you can get over if people in our government support it. If a state wants to say you give an oath to God then you do it or don't.

----

For example, the federal government says a state cannot secede, and if a state does, it's going to tell the government, " well, I just did."

The States have the power, we just need more States like Arizona to stand up and say to bad.
edit on 29-1-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

If you don't like God in America you can get over it, rebel, or move.

I've been strong on that path for a while now. Thanks for the green light anyways

And it's religion, not God, I am against.

Well since I feel you more or less ignored the bulk of my post I will just end it with that.
edit on 29-1-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

See how that works?

When you start bitchin about how other people live, don't belly ache and whine when things don't go your way!

Besides, if they don't believe in God, then what's the big deal?

Say it, get your diploma and be on with life......

Edit: I don't believe in the God of Abraham, but my point is that I am sick and tired of other people telling others how to live!

Do I see the Athiests complain about God being on the money they spend????

As to you OP! You have been quite vocal about taking away peoples second ammendment rights in my country, and I find the hypocracy of your post simply amazing!
edit on 27-1-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

The difference is that our 1st Amendment is about freedom FROM religion, any state religion. Atheists protesting gov't displays geared towards any religious faith are correct as our gov't has no test of faith. This is a test of faith.

We don't have money, we have Federal Reserve Notes. That isn't money, it is the fractionalization of the original $7 ever.

As for the 2nd Amendment, it should be left alone. It guarantees that we won't be run over roughshod by some power mad tyrant from either the left or the right. Has nothing to do with hunting like ole Barry says, it has everything to do with keeping ole Barry off our backs.

Our Bill of Rights is a great document, an easy read, and concludes the process started in the Declaration of Independence. Too many from the left and right are FAR too eager and willing redact portions that aren't convenient.

Derek

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join