It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Guns, or Build "Smart Guns?"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Skyfall yet.

In this latest Bond film, Q gives him a new "Walther PPK/S 9mm Short" that is coded to unlock to his handprint. Pretty cool concept, but one that I would not trust my life on, especially when the technology is new and not polished out.

The best way to personalize a firearm is to keep it secure, in my opinion...
edit on 27-1-2013 by Sek82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic
reply to post by Lonewulph

IMHO the safest method to personalize a gun is to password protect it.
Rather than expensing resources on palm ID, it would be a simpler process to identify the owner with an encrypted password, much like a debit card, possibly with a 8 - 12 digit code.
That's only my opinion of course.

Who, may I ask, are we protecting with this crap? Are we trying to give criminals a fighting chance? Why should I be required to have to enter a password/code to access my 2nd amendment right?

Does anyone think the criminals will have this technology on their weapons? Is it so crazy to think that as quickly as this technology progresses, so will the technology to bypass it. Why don't we stress personal responsibility rather than legislating measures to protect us from ourselves?

edit on 27-1-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Medications in the wrong little hands can be fatal, so put a childproof cap on the bottle and store them out of reach.

Trying to liken a gun which is deigned to destroy whatever its aimed at with as medicine which is designed to heal or help is just crazy talk.

Guns in the wrong hands can be fatal so put a lock on them and store them in a gun locker.

So in the right hands they grow flowers and raise cute puppies? Guns are tools of destruction..even the pink ones .

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

I referred to it at the opening of the thread but didn't actually mention the title.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Trying to liken a gun which is deigned to destroy whatever its aimed at with as medicine which is designed to heal or help is just crazy talk.

I didn't 'try to liken a gun to medication' in their application, I simply compared how protective measures are taken to help something that has potential to be harmful, to be made safer (or childproof) such as something as simple as a childproof cap on a bottle.

So in the right hands they grow flowers and raise cute puppies? Guns are tools of destruction..even the pink ones .

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but
From my personal experience, my tool of destruction in my rightful hands saved my life when someone tried to use their tool of destruction to be destructive on my life. Now I'm still around to grow flowers and raise cute puppies...he's fertilizer.

edit on 27-1-2013 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by caticusmaximus
To answer the thread title question, neither. "Dumb" guns are just fine in the hands of smart people. Only dumb people need "smart" tools to compensate for their own lack of intelligence.

Well put

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Of course you to are entitled to your own opinion. People with guns killing people with guns. Its a real shame someone has to die either way because of guns.

Im not anti gun per say but countries that have easier access to guns seem to have a higher murder rate than ones that dont. Its a deadly personal arms race.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lonewulph
reply to post by Sek82

I referred to it at the opening of the thread but didn't actually mention the title.
Don't I feel silly - Guess I skipped the first few lines of your post. Well, you used a great example to open it with then!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Of course you to are entitled to your own opinion. People with guns killing people with guns. Its a real shame someone has to die either way because of guns.

Im not anti gun per say but countries that have easier access to guns seem to have a higher murder rate than ones that dont. Its a deadly personal arms race.

Yes sir you are correct, it is most certainly a shame that someone had to die because they tried to kill me.
But my wife and son felt it was worth the trade off.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I'm not a tech guy, but a gun is a mechanical device. You can put all the electronic safety gizmos
you want on it....give me a screwdriver a hammer and a pair of needle nose and I'll have it
working in no time, sans the electronic safety device.

I might need a couple of more things, maybe some duct tape, a coat hanger, or a Dremel with a
diamond bit...but I'll get it working.

The only thing a smart gun will prevent is someone from grabbing it from you and shooting you
with it...And if THAT is your problem, then you're not doing something right.

edit on 28-1-2013 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
If you own a gun with non-criminal intentions for its usage, I can't see why you'd object to any sort of personalisation and use monitoring devices being incorporated into its design. A gun that was designed to only be fired by its legally authorised owner, that also registered how many shots had been fired on it and where those bullets were fired, should be an objective any gun-reliant society would aspire to. What seems a more beneficial long-term aim - ensuring that weapons are easily available for anyone, or making sure the weapons that are available can be abused by the minimum amount of people possible?

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by rival
The only thing a smart gun will prevent is someone from grabbing it from you and shooting you
with it...And if THAT is your problem, then you're not doing something right.

edit on 28-1-2013 by rival because: (no reason given)

They'd also prevent supposedly honest gun owners - aka "not yet caught criminals" - from selling on their firearms and claiming they were lost in unfortunate boating accidents, etc.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

People with guns killing people with guns. Its a real shame someone has to die either way because of guns.

Im not anti gun per say

You could have fooled me.

but countries that have easier access to guns seem to have a higher murder rate than ones that dont.

Not true. Switzerland has a higher per capita rate of gun ownership than the United States and virtually no gun crime. They even have more "military style" weapons per capita.

In America it's a 'people' problem! The focus should be on responsible gun ownership rather than tougher restrictions.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
First thing that comes to my mind is the necessity for electronics to be put within these guns to make them "personalized". That opens the door to a host of problems.

What happens if you pass through an intense magnetic field? Your "personalized" information is being stored somewhere with bits that can be dislocated.

What happens if gun cleaner or oil gets into the electronics? That stuff needs to stay dry at all times.

What if everyone of these "personalized" guns also is equipped with a remotely activatable "off" switch, so the "authorities" can turn it off when the please, for "your own personal safety", of course? Anyone think that wouldnt be abused?

To answer the thread title question, neither. "Dumb" guns are just fine in the hands of smart people. Only dumb people need "smart" tools to compensate for their own lack of intelligence.

I agree with the above. In addition: how do you will such a gun to your heirs? Guns are handed down generation to generation in the US. Guns are used for self defense and survival: two situations where you don't want electronics to fail.

Also, as said above, the point of gun control is "control" and such devices go against the whole point of an armed citizenry.

The best safety device is the user.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by PhoenixOD

People with guns killing people with guns. Its a real shame someone has to die either way because of guns.

Im not anti gun per say

You could have fooled me.

but countries that have easier access to guns seem to have a higher murder rate than ones that dont.

Not true. Switzerland has a higher per capita rate of gun ownership than the United States and virtually no gun crime. They even have more "military style" weapons per capita.

In America it's a 'people' problem! The focus should be on responsible gun ownership rather than tougher restrictions.

In addition, look at the Czech Republic: looser gun control laws than the US with a murder rate less than the UK.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Well if its a people problem as you say then its obvious there's people in the US that cant be trusted with guns.

Im certainly no anti gun but in a country where there's been so many rampage killings of innocent people and children in the last few years its obvious something has to change.

edit on 28-1-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join