It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a shout for H.P Lovecraft fans!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
i really enjoy reading lovecraft, the way he writes and the stuff he writes about. and it so cool that there are even conspiracy theories about his link to freemasons. and his collaborations with harry houdini are awesome.. and i believe he met even the great beast, mr. crowley, i mean c`mon can it get any better than that?

sometimes when i read his work, the last sentences can send shivers to my spine, i get cold sweat and i feel the urge to throw up, its that scary for me.....

i have allways suffered from insomnia and night terrors, so when i fall asleep i see and experience similiar circumstances than in his stories. i believe that he really did tap to some mysterious primal are in the brain that`s all about just being frozen solid from fear of the unknown.

i have recently even began writing my own horror short stories of my own experiences becouse i got that inspired from his work.
and last but not least could there be any truth about his writings? i mean there is alot of stuff regarding ancient times. and current...

so what do you think about the great master of horror?
edit on 27-1-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-1-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by solve

I have always enjoyed Lovecraft's work.
I have to admit, when I read his stuff it makes me nervous to be in a dark place. I have to remind myself that I am one of the scary things in the dark.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by solve

The rats,the rats in the walls...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have a copy of a collection of short stories by HP Lovecraft, and on the front cover there is a quote. It says "HP Lovecraft is the greatest horror writer of all time." That quote is by Stephen King. Q.E.D.

I don't read a lot of horror, preferring fantasy and science fiction, but Lovecraft is an amazing blend of all three, and is simply incredible as a writer.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by solve

I like some of his stories, my personal favorite is dagon it was the first I ever read, but most of the ones ive read I liked

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I can highly recommend the Cthuloid app for Lovecraft fans. It's all you can eat at the touch of your fingers, be it Origional works, collaberations, poetry, stuff he wrote as a kid and essays. If your eyes are tired you can fall asleep while someone else reads it to you. HAH.

It's a nightly tradition and inspires the most interesting of dreams including gigantic head eating conker monsters...Yep, theres no point dreaming unless it's weird.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I just recently read a graphic novel version of his "At the Mountains of Madness." It was really cool to see his writings accompanied with illustrations. It was a good read. I finished it in two nights.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It's also amazing to think about Lovecraft doing his writing when he did. He and Tolkein seem to me to be the first "mythos" writers that didn't just write stories but created a whole universe of myth and background. In some ways Lovecraft's is a better mythos than Tolkein because his was less planned out. He obviously had all this in his head and wrote stories using it, but he didn't seem to be attempting to create a "world"... it just happened.

He also has an excitement to his writing that leaps off the page. His characters are SURPRISED by what they see and SCARED #LESS much of the time and he does a better job of getting that accross in the dialog and character reactions than most other writers. I would say he is on a level with Poe not Stephen King.

There's a great short story by Robert Silverberg called "Gilgamesh in the Outback" where Lovecraft and his friend Robert Howard (creator of Conan) are in purgatory, which is like the Australian outback, hunting demons. They come across Gilgamesh, who Howard mistakes for Conan and basically falls in love with. The interraction between the depressed and angsty Lovecraft and the over-the-top big game hunter enthusiasm of Howard is brilliant.

top topics

join