It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Historian Uncovers English Crop Circles Circa 1945

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
They might be crop circles but considering that was in 1945 in england they could more likely be something related to the military and the war.
For several years england was basically just one big military base leading up to D-Day and the invasion of france.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Crop circles aren't as new a phenomenon as you think. In 1678 an English farmed claimed a devil trampled his crops down into a circle, he called this the Mowing Devil.
A Professor Robert Plot wrote a book in 1680's with mentions of rings and circles in fields that they couldn't explain.
There was also the Fairy rings in England that although now explained away as having a fungal cause, people were known to disapear in them, more ancient stories say they led to Elven kingdoms.
So if you take into consideration that the phenomenon is not just a 20th century hoax, there could be a more mystical reason behind them.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras

Crop circles aren't as new a phenomenon as you think. In 1678 an English farmed claimed a devil trampled his crops down into a circle, he called this the Mowing Devil.

Kudegras, don't know if you've seen it but SkyFloating also brought up the 1678 pamphlet in a debate thread about crop circles, she also asks a few pertinent questions about the man made hoax theory.

Challenge Match: adjensen vs skyfloating - Crop Circles are a Man Made Hoax

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
nice find was a good read and an intresting article . dont know what to think about this one

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Here is the site I mentioned last night. There are several old, old cases they detail on this site, including the one you brought up.

oldcropcircles.weebly.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
no one able to help with the 1945 layer on google earth? one has tried and failed - i could possibly locate the sites of these and find out more.......

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
looks like anit aircraft sites to me. Google it up and see what you see

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

These events are known in America as physical trace landing cases from UFOs, we don't have as many fields as in the UK so it may be in a lawn with short grass, but the represntation is still a circle which changes the vegetation around the area. This area became huge in hoaxing obviosuly since it is more easy but any circle with a design like you would see on a shirt or picture is obviously a hoax. We have counted the number of crop circles (trace landing cases), by the end of the 70s it was over 3,000, now it is over 5,000. The better thing about the records is that they don't inlcude it if there wasn't a UFO sighted around the area.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mikell

after getting nowt from searching "anti aircraft guns in stourbridge", changing the terms to "ack-ack" yeilded a little more....
there is indeed a shooting club (yes, shooting in the uk, who'd have thought it /sarcasm off) located at what is described as a "disused" ack-ack site just outside of stourbridge. this is on a farm next door to the farm where i sometimes work and i hear them shoot all week
- now if anyone can just tell me how get the blessed 1945 layer on freaking goggle earth i can see if it is the same site.......

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by greyer

I disagree with your premise. Anything that isn't a simple circle is obviously a hoax? I think that as people started paying closer attention to the circles, the makers started making them more elaborate. For instance, the first glyph to have circles connected my a line was way back in the 40s, if I remember correctly. And there was absolutely ZERO reason for anyone to hoax this as all of the locals were well aware of this phenomenon and simply dismissed them all as whirlwind winds. Or what they called "devil's twists". This is a very real thing. And yes, people have gotten in on the fun nowadays as well, but it really is a case of life imitating art.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Greg, aged 59, who cut his teeth locating shipwrecks, used Google Earth’s new 1945 overlay – images of places taken 68 years ago – to make the breakthrough.

Can someone explain this? He searched Google Earth and had some sort of 1945 image overlay? So he could see the same pictures as normal Google Earth, but in 1945???

I can't help but think time travel.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

First I've ever heard of such a thing. Sounds like a layer on Google earth. But someone else is having a hard time finding it.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
no one able to help with the 1945 layer on google earth? one has tried and failed - i could possibly locate the sites of these and find out more.......

Is this what you are looking for?

Nearly all of 1945 London awaits your exploration. Enjoying it is easy. Just start Google Earth (install it here if you're not one of the 700 million who already have) and type London as your destination in the upper left. Then, click on the clock icon to enable historic imagery. Scroll back to 1945, and feast your eyes on imagery like the intersection of The Cut and Short Streets near Waterloo station showing the bombed/cleared area that is now the Young Vic theatre:

Source

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

according to a search, there is a 1945 layer, accessed via GE in view>historical overlays.... this is via a GE news page i found... buggered if i can find it on my GE though, which is a pain, seeing as i have spent approx 50% of the last 8 years working pretty much next door to where i suspect that they are, just need to see the old pics on a map so i can confirm this etc... does no one read the threads anymore? i know 2 pages is alot

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington

Originally posted by skalla

Is this what you are looking for?

Nearly all of 1945 London awaits your exploration. Enjoying it is easy. Just start Google Earth (install it here if you're not one of the 700 million who already have) and type London as your destination in the upper left. Then, click on the clock icon to enable historic imagery. Scroll back to 1945, and feast your eyes on imagery like the intersection of The Cut and Short Streets near Waterloo station showing the bombed/cleared area that is now the Young Vic theatre:

Source

julie i thank you, will try that right away

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
hokay, so i cant find a clock icon on my GE (which is not "plus", so maybe that is the issue), besides the sunlight slider and that does not provide the options i need.... i'm a bit of a luddite but not THAT bad

so, if anyone cares to check it out and can find the 1945 layer, here is the location to examine/eliminate...

52degrees 26'52.50"n by 2degrees 15'53.86"w

or alternatively 1.93km west of the marker for the village of kinver, staffordshire, uk

would love to hear what people do or dont find!

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

So you are a farm hand? That's cool! Do you work with any gentlemen older than yourself? You should ask them what they think of it all.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

no, i'm a therapeutic worker/tutor on an educational/therapeutic organic farm (amongst other things) for troubled youngsters - the farm manager is not a long term local though and is under 40 so i doubt he has the local knowledge on this, although his local connections with neighbours and other farms (as well as those of others in the village and nearby town) may turn up something...

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Ah. I see. I was curious because reading through that site I linked above, it seemed that all the old timers in the area were very familiar with all of this. Some even report having seen them form. One guy in particular described watching three circles form in approximately three seconds!

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by skalla

Ah. I see. I was curious because reading through that site I linked above, it seemed that all the old timers in the area were very familiar with all of this. Some even report having seen them form. One guy in particular described watching three circles form in approximately three seconds!

hiya, the page you link sadly does not contain any circles even remotely near to stourbridge or the black country (a term for an area of the county of the westmidlands, uk, *roughly* centered around the town of dudley), which is the area reference in the newspaper article in the OP.
edit on 28-1-2013 by skalla because: clarity

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join