It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain can become President?! Must Read!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
In the event of a tie this year, 269 to 269, anyone eligible for President could end up as one, even if they are not of the two tied. If there were a tie, and another candidate received an electoral vote, those top 3 are all eligible for President. So if an elector or two throws a vote towards John McCain or even Michael Badnarik, then Kerry, Bush, and the third will be eligible.

This has happened twice (not counting 1876, a technically different situation) -- in the strange tie of 1800 and the 4-way election of 1824. The contemporary prospects for a House election are slim. Only an electoral tie -- or a third party winning electors -- could produce it. However, a tie is plausible this year: if all states vote the same as 2000 except New Hampshire and Nevada, the electoral vote would be 269 to 269.

*snip*

A more intriguing, and potentially more consequential, possibility is an elector "shedding" a vote to a 3rd candidate. In an election thrown to the House, the 12th amendment specifies to choose from the top three electoral vote recipients. In a tie, only Bush and Kerry will have electoral votes, Unless some elector decides to shed his vote, making the outcome 269-268-1. Why would an elector do this?

It's simple. Shedding a vote would still send the election to the House.

techcentralstation.com...

Once in the House, members could decide a variety of ways in which to send this election. This year, with such a close election, we could see the final winner decided upon by the House and not the Supreme Court. This sure would rile some people up.

[edit on 28-10-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
the house also picks the vice prez. you could see a kerry cheny or a bush edwards or a nader edwards etc......

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Although i don't agree with any of McCain's standpoints...

I can honestly say he is one of the few Republicans that I respect...

(Note: when I said Republicans, I meant Republicans that are in the public eye...I have tons of close friends who are conservatives, and I guess I respect them as well ::sigh:

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Well, I don't really mean John McCain per se, I just used it as an example, which was the one in the article. Thereotically, anyone can become President.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Ya

I had too many negative republican posts...was trying to balance them out...lol

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I am definately not a republican, at least in this election, but I personally do not think America could do better than having McCain as President. He is without a doubt what is great about this country. Even though he is a Republican he knows that the country is more important than his party. It is just mind-numbing to think Republicans could nominate Bush over McCain in 2000, but the 2000 primaries were a coronation, not a nomination.

top topics

join