It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Machine Gun fire from Military Helicopters over Florida

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Sly1one

This action serves 2 purposes: It gets people desensitized to the site of military personnel and hardware being used on city streets and it desensitizes young-military-minds-full-of-mush to conducting military operations on US soil and against US citizens.

With all of the money we pour into the US military I KNOW they have the means to conduct real MOUT (Military Operations in Urban Terrain) training on bases and out of sight of civilians.

Is it just me or are these “training” exercises in our cities happening more these days?

edit on 27-1-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

Oddly enough even my non-alarming perspective has to acknowledge the obvious aspects of this.

The police and military training together in major cities isn't something that has been a "traditional" thing in this country, even though it appears they are trying to set that precedence.

I'll have to agree with what Wrabbit said as well...incrementally inch by inch year by year exercise by exercise people still become more desensitized and accustomed to this. It will eventually become the new "norm".

Tie this in or pile it onto...the already obvious attacks at the fundamental "no no's" (gun-control, NDAA ext) written into the fabric of this country and its really really hard to not see this all as a collected effort to remove the "safety-blocks" in place that have kept this country free...

there are precedents being set that are a danger/threat to the very existence of a "free-country"...

I used to think the comparisons of Nazi Germany to the current US were exaggerations to "make a point" but I'm starting to think they aren't exaggerations anymore.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

I have never seen "catchers" mounted on AH helicopters. I've seen them on the UH types, but in the video, it looks like it is a MH-6 Little Bird doing the firing. There are not catchers on those to the best of my knowledge...which I admit is old because I retired two years ago.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one
I'll have to agree with what Wrabbit said as well...incrementally inch by inch year by year exercise by exercise people still become more desensitized and accustomed to this. It will eventually become the new "norm".

Tie this in or pile it onto...the already obvious attacks at the fundamental "no no's" (gun-control, NDAA ext) written into the fabric of this country and its really really hard to not see this all as a collected effort to remove the "safety-blocks" in place that have kept this country free...

there are precedents being set that are a danger/threat to the very existence of a "free-country"...

I used to think the comparisons of Nazi Germany to the current US were exaggerations to "make a point" but I'm starting to think they aren't exaggerations anymore.

I'm with you as I used to think that way as well.

I think that we are all in for a rough ride in the near future.

I'm hoping that nothing much happens in the next four years, but I doubt that will happen. I'm fairly sure that the next four years will be fairly active, slowly but surely picking up pace.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Forgive me for asking could they not just be simply doing this for a filming purpose maybe for a new film or something

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by Sly1one

I have never seen "catchers" mounted on AH helicopters. I've seen them on the UH types, but in the video, it looks like it is a MH-6 Little Bird doing the firing. There are not catchers on those to the best of my knowledge...which I admit is old because I retired two years ago.

That is a good point they were lil-bird helis but as someone said earlier it did indeed sound like 50cal mach fire...slower ROF and deeper report which to the best of my knowledge lil-birds aren't equipped with 50cal. I could be wrong as well...

but none the less you address a good point, regardless of the casings falling there are so many other variables that could go wrong...the risk of running exercises over major cities is high which makes me scratch my head. Is it REALLY that necessary? Someone somewhere has some brass balls to be making these exercise decisions because it is ripe with liabilities...either someone is gutsy or they know don't have to worry about being held accountable...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeaceMaker
Forgive me for asking could they not just be simply doing this for a filming purpose maybe for a new film or something

IF there wasn't a news reporter reporting it as a military exercise I would entertain this idea...HOWEVER...the necessity of doing such "filming" is becoming less and less as CGI and movie magic get better and better...

Basically what was done could have been done for significantly cheaper with CGI, green-screen and movie magic than actually flying helis over a heavily populated area and actually firing machine guns (blanks)...

not to mention the movie magic rout has zero liability attached to it...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

reply to post by Sly1one

Don't feel bad. My last military experience was 2004 (nearly a decade ago). I'm keenly aware there have been numerous changes in hardware and mission since my departure many moons ago, which is why I don't comment on certain topics. Besides, helicopters were simply a means of moving me and my gear from one place to another (mainly on CH46, CH53, and the rare ride on a UH1), so my knowledge on that subject is limited. I will take your word for it!

Damn I'm getting OLD!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Some directors (Michael Bay comes to mind), prefer to use as much real filming as possible, and use as little CGI as they can get away with. They say that it comes across as better on the screen if it's real, and not CGI.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Ah I'm sorry I done the school boy thing of not reading everythin on the thread. I just pictured scenes similar to black hawk down with the Blackhawks and little birds flying about the city. I know CGI these days is top notch but sometimes filming the real thing is better

Never mind I was just throwing it out there

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

The .50 is a option for the MH-6 and OH-58 and actually preferred as it has a lower rate of fire and heavier punch than a Mini-gun.

Mini-guns are sexy, but truth be told, they eat ammo like no tomorrow and quickly to boot. A Ma Duece makes more sense and you can carry even more ammo than the 7.62 Mini uses. Because of the lower rate of fire, along with with newer targeting devices, they are more effective.

A .50 will punch through a lot of things, whereas a 7.62 will bounce off.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Some directors (Michael Bay comes to mind), prefer to use as much real filming as possible, and use as little CGI as they can get away with. They say that it comes across as better on the screen if it's real, and not CGI.

Here is a good example of how real a movie or tv show in this case can fool people even news anchors...

As its helicopter hovered above the scene, WGN-Channel 9 broke in with the news this morning that an airplane had crashed onto Martin Luther King Drive on the South Side, breaking off a wing that had skidded down the road and hit a car.

But three minutes later, the station reported back that the crash was actually a scene being shot for the TV series "Chicago Fire."

WGN Morning News anchors Larry Potash and Robin Baumgarten scrambled to report on helicopter footage of an apparent plane crash near 29th Street and Martin Luther King Drive around 8 a.m. Friday morning. A few minutes later, after considerable ad-libbing, they learned that the apparent wreckage had actually been staged for the NBC series "Chicago Fire."

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Realism is always the best way to go..

edit on 27-1-2013 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

I have pictures from the set of Lost of the "plane crash" and they made it look incredibly realistic. I can see why people panic when they don't get the word that they're filming something and they see it.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Oooo have I bought up a valid point about them filming for a new movie or tv series .. Ooo I feel important now haha. Just kidding like I said it was just a thought

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The possibility of a movie made me wonder so I went looking...Here is another MSM report that isn't 404'ed and they don't mention filming. They report it as straight training on a metro platform with rappelling and all.

CBS4 captured video of Black Hawk helicopters flying over the city as part of a joint military training exercise.

Thursday night’s training took place near the Stephen P. Clark Center in Miami and a nearby Metrorail station where troops could be seen rappelling from the military choppers onto the Metrorail station platform.
Source

They also note how this being done in the same general area in 2011 DID scare local residents. So it's not like the Military wouldn't know the outcome for local people. They apparently don't care at the command/policy making levels.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

reply to post by Sly1one

The .50 is a option for the MH-6 and OH-58 and actually preferred as it has a lower rate of fire and heavier punch than a Mini-gun.

Mini-guns are sexy, but truth be told, they eat ammo like no tomorrow and quickly to boot. A Ma Duece makes more sense and you can carry even more ammo than the 7.62 Mini uses. Because of the lower rate of fire, along with with newer targeting devices, they are more effective.

A .50 will punch through a lot of things, whereas a 7.62 will bounce off.

Well see there ya go, learn something new every day. Didnt know they went with the 50cal option, guess I always figured it was too cumbersome.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Mmm now you've ruined my day
I thought I was on to something then lol

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks for the link. I am curious why the Herald would 404 one of their articles on this issue...

Anyway as you said and as the reports indicate this IS NOT movie related and is real military live action training in heavily populated metropolitan type areas.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Another Miami Herald link that isn't 404'd on the recent exercise.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Police and military forces are being merged.......
The ross training is nessessary to co ordinate the two.....
People being trained to accept the military on the streets...
Military being trained to work the homeland streets.....
Sounds like a recipe for a Nazi takeover.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Holy flipp'n cow...

What would you do?

If a blackhawk flew over your neighborhood spewing what sounded like automatice weapon fire?

Nothing. That's what.

Because they used "excersizes" like this.

To acclimate the sheep to the shears.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join