It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should England have it's own Parliament?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by HelenConway

system.

I've repeatedly stated my belief that we should abolish the party political system as it is outdated, unrepresentative and is clearly not working and implement radical reform of the electoral and parliamentary processes - unfortunately most people either don't give a toss or just like whinging and when it comes down to the nitty gritty they just haven't got the balls to do anything at all and by their inactivity support the status quo along with all it's inequalities and injustices.

Most people care that their lives are becoming harder - or more painful, they just do not see any alternatives to our present system.

I think only about 30 percent of people voted in the last election.

I did NOT vote and I will not vote for the charlatans on offer.

I want my MP to have life experience, to have had a job in the real world, for starters.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Even though the Tories have many flaws, they are still by far the worser of the 3 evils of the current mainstream parties. the Scots wouldn't vote for the Tories if they promised to abolish all income tax for Scottish people, so they are stuck between the SNP and Labour and in General it is the poorer constituencies in England that votes Labour too. Saying that, if I planned on a life on the dole I would vote for Labour too, so I can't complain too much.

they are much of the same really, people say that the Tories target the poor for spending cuts, but at the same time lLabour bribe the poor with money the country doesn't have?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

There should be a vote for no confidence on the ballot paper along with the other Parties. In which case if enough people voted no confidence then no government gets in and they have to go back to the drawing board with their policies, it would make them accountable to their actions.

But of course MPs have to vote changes like this in and I'm pretty sure MPs know which side their bread is buttered and would not vote this system in a million years. No matter how much the people wanted it.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

For me, no it shouldn't have it's own Parliament.

However, should the Union dissolve then yes, i think it should.

Simple one for me really, no grey areas (like there is with many other topics!).

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by grainofsand

For me, no it shouldn't have it's own Parliament.

However, should the Union dissolve then yes, i think it should.

Simple one for me really, no grey areas (like there is with many other topics!).

I think there are alot of grey areas, the west lothian question being one of them. Are you an English tax payer ?
second

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Yes and i am fully aware of the West Lothian question. My position is simple, i support the Union - so no, no grey areas.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Most people care that their lives are becoming harder - or more painful,

Yes I know, I undrstand and I agree - but instead of just whinging and moaning they should also do something about it - if they aren't prepared to try and take some sort of control or involvement in their own life and the things that affect them directly then whose fault is it really for the predicament they are in?

I don't mean the weak, infirm and the less able etc - I'm talking about the majority of normal, everyday folk.

they just do not see any alternatives to our present system.

Then change the system!

I think only about 30 percent of people voted in the last election.

Yes, because from the day people start school they are taught not to question and to accept as fact the information given to them.

Active involvement in political / social issues are discouraged and those who do so are viewed as intefering busy bodies.

Of course the exact opposite can be said for those who have had the benefit and luxury of a private education.

I did NOT vote and I will not vote for the charlatans on offer.

Too many people fought for our right to vote - personally I vote in as many elections etc as I can - but you must do as you see fit, but I've got to say that no vote is simply a vote for maintaining the status quo.

Are you actively involved in any form of protest or attempts to bring about reform, of any kind?

I want my MP to have life experience, to have had a job in the real world, for starters.

It would probably help - but as you don't vote you don't really have any say on the subject do you.
edit on 31/1/13 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Too many people fought for our right to vote - personally I vote in as many elections etc as I can - but you must do as you see fit, but I've got to say that no vote is simply a vote for maintaining the status quo.

I reject this argument - respectfully. The system is rigged as you well know and I will not partake in a 'bent' system.

Someone once said to me - that by design the govt likes to keep people a little poor, a little over worked - always chasing their tails with petty bureaucractic demands, stuffed full of carb food, and mesmorized by the soaps - then they are too burnt out and tired to riot or protest.

Do you know only about tiny amount of Americans started the Boston tea riots - which led to the booting out of the king.... only a small number to affect great change.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

We had 50,000 youths rioting last summer, all it did was provide more resolve for the government to make life even more difficult for them. Gone are the days where rioting gets you any diplomatic change, the only way to get the change you want is to get filthy rich and lobby the corrupt Eton Schoolboys at Westminster.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Yes and i am fully aware of the West Lothian question. My position is simple, i support the Union - so no, no grey areas.

ok fair enough but why do you not support the fair distribution of funds throughout the union ?
Why should all member countries not have the same rights to representation ?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

We had 50,000 youths rioting last summer, all it did was provide more resolve for the government to make life even more difficult for them. Gone are the days where rioting gets you any diplomatic change, the only way to get the change you want is to get filthy rich and lobby the corrupt Eton Schoolboys at Westminster.

well that 'aint gonna happen so what is plan B ?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Helen,

The tax spend distribution will never be fair because the whole purpose of having the Union is to create a stronger Britain. Due to Scotlands geography and their unique set up of infrastructure, they will always need slightly more spending on them per capita than England. If you want to keep the Union then this tax spending goes hand in hand. If you would prefer a slightly lower tax bill then hope for an Independant Scotland vote, although I doubt any savings would be passed onto you from our miserable Government. They'sd probably just build more Moats at the second homes and have you pay to get it dredged.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Move to Australia.

That is the only realistic way of getting the change you desire in your life. And yes I am myself considering it, if only the bloody Aussies would let me have a job and a visa.
edit on 31-1-2013 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

But you aren't doing anything about anything - it seems your some total is complaining on the internet - sure all of us here are doing that - but some are working for change in other ways too.

You reject this system yet offer no alternative - it appears that you aren't even seeking an alternative.

I despise the current electoral system - but it's the only one I have and as such I will use it to try bring about some sort of positive change to the society I live in - in addition I will also strive, in my own ways, to influence people and work for real and radical reform.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

These people where Torries first and foremost, following the Torry ideology . As for Blair, being born in Scotland was just an accident for him, he was English at heart, no doubt. Don't worry anyway mate, when the oil run's out England will drop us like a ton of brick's.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Freeborn, the only way most of us workers can change the system is by voting, if somebody can provide us with a vote that will make real change then I am there. Unfortunately I am not priviledged enough to devote the time required to become politically active. I have to work 60 hours a week just for a roof and some beans on toast. The reason we get over priviledged Eton Schoolboys in our Government is that they are the only ones that can afford to not have to have a job. The system stinks to high heaven.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

reply to post by JuniorDisco

I think you are being a bit melodramatic aren't you?

Not especially. As you say there are some white muslims. But how do you think Helen is going about sifting the ethnic mix of London and pronouncing - in an admittedly slipshod manner - on its composition? It's likely to be by appearance, isn't it?

Anyway, I don't feel I'm being melodramatic. Suggesting that if London had its own parliament it would be governed by Sharia law - that's melodramatic.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DrunkYogi

The Oil income from the North Sea is little more than insignificant, most of the monies raised goes to the Shareholders of BP, not the British Government. The Scottish are mistaken if they think that Westminsters motivation for keeping Scotland in the UK is about Oil. It is not about Oil at all.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I agree with you that they hate most of the English too, it's just that they reserve that special hate for the Scot's because their party is almost extinct up here. They know that they have enough support in certain part's of England that Scottish support wont count in an election, in fact they even tried to mess with the boundaries last week to get even more of an advantage, Thankfully they failed.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Michael, do not over blow the riots. We get them every 10 years or so and it is always the youth and younger adults involved. They are often portrayed as being race related - at least this time round they got it right in the media and said it was more to do with poverty and lack of prospects.

Cut forward a decade or so and there will be more rioting. I will offer a friendly wager on it - if there are any takers?

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join