It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Matthew 10

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leuan
34)"Think not that I come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."

What is your transformation of this parable?

Does it mean death to unbelievers (to you) or is there a deeper meaning? Discuss

edit on 27-1-2013 by Leuan because: (no reason given)

Depending on what time frame? Modern or Mathews time? I see it as a rebuke or fear tactic. In process now in our 'modern time' I see it as a force that is blasting away at current entrenched (DUG IN) negative architypes. Examples would be;
God worship ideology (the Titans), The exploitation of Bambi and its animal friends. Timed events; the nuetralization-of prototypes for the hypnosism of the human (any way we can erase fatboy, littleboy and the consequences of those explosions; the energy form consecrated and remembering Hiroshima and Nagasaki).

Normally 500 years ago,200,000 years ago all events despicable and maddening describing misdeeds were swallowed up in a jungle. Now everything is recorded. The wisdom of Enropy is its dispostion to destroy misdeeds Mistakes through decomposition/leaving something to be born from it annew. This is a natural creative process. So as I see it as an excelleration of such speed no one will be able to control a stasis of continuity that will survive because the frequency of the planet is rising and killing its occupants.
edit on 27-1-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by vethumanbeing

34)"Think not that I come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."

Does it mean death to unbelievers (to you) or is there a deeper meaning? Discuss

Depending on what time frame? Modern or Mathews time? I see it as a rebuke or fear tactic. In process now in our 'modern time' I see it as a force that is blasting away at current entrenched (DUG IN) negative architypes. Examples would be;
God worship ideology (the Titans), The exploitation of Bambi and its animal friends. Timed events; the nuetralization-of prototypes for the hypnosism of the human (any way we can erase fatboy, littleboy and the consequences of those explosions; the energy form consecrated and remembering Hiroshima and Nagasaki).

Normally 500 years ago,200,000 years ago all events despicable and maddening describing misdeeds were swallowed up in a jungle. Now everything is recorded. The wisdom of enropy is a natural dispostion to distroy misdeeds through decomposition/leaving something to be born from it annew. This is a natural process. So as I see it is an excelleration of such speed no one will be able to control a stasis of continuity that will survive.

haha sounds like the big bang good social dynamic id say and that is what i use the sword for in "modern" times the damn fox holes are deep soldier LOL good work translating this

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GRS1234

Normally 500 years ago,200,000 years ago all events despicable and maddening describing misdeeds were swallowed up in a jungle. Now everything is recorded. The wisdom of enropy is a natural dispostion to distroy misdeeds through decomposition/leaving something to be born from it annew. This is a natural process. So as I see it is an excelleration of such speed no one will be able to control a stasis of continuity that will survive.

haha sounds like the big bang good social dynamic id say and that is what i use the sword for in "modern" times the damn fox holes are deep soldier LOL good work translating this

That is exactly how I am translating the OP statement. My foxhole dug? a potencial gold vein very large soon to be discovered just two more feet to go. Now as for the social dynamic? Build the tower and be prepared to take some lives.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

That is exactly how I am translating the OP statement. My foxhole dug? a potencial gold vein very large soon to be discovered just two more feet to go. Now as for the social dynamic? Build the tower and be prepared to take some lives.

aannnddd ya lost me i was in reference to the mind and fighting negative archetypes with the sword and expand on this its sorta vague to me im not getting a clear picture

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by bo12au
After carefully studying the Book of Matthew, specifically when Peter used his sword on the guard and what Jesus said in Matthew 26:52. I have to retract my earlier comments about using violence. Its all about having complete Faith in Christ. What are your opinions on the matter? I want to fight back but I'm not supposed too right?

Learn more everyday

edit on 27-1-2013 by bo12au because: (no reason given)

Were the apostles crucified before Christ ascended or after? The answer is after. They were to glorify his name after there was nothing left to fight for. He was gone physically. The jews back then wanted a Messiah to overthrow and destroy Rome. The ones who weren't trying to kill him were trying to force him to be king in which he made comments about them trying to "take the kingdom by force". Fear not he who can destroy the body but he who can destroy the body and the soul. When Jesus told them to go and sell their cloaks to buy swords, he was fulfilling scripture so that he would be condemned as a criminal so that the prophecy of Isaiah 53:9 and Isaiah 53:12 being a "transgressor" or "lawbreaker".

Simon was described as a revolutionist. Which apostles were crucified?
I'm currently researching John the Baptist...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by GRS1234

Its a mental exercise. Visualize it with pure intent and so your reality as to the outcome will be born (chance,change) or an absolute confirmation of your deliberate thoughtform brought to fruition. Can not be that hard, your imagination is in charge here use it. Think the negative archetypes into non existance. You have no idea how powerful your thoughtforms are when used wisely like an arrow flying to puncture false ideaforms. Hang in there you are asking all of the right queries.

Perhaps your question is have I found God and where is it hiding?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

reply to post by GRS1234

Its a mental exercise. Visualize it with pure intent and so your reality as to the outcome will be born (chance,change) or an absolute confirmation of your deliberate thoughtform brought to fruition. Can not be that hard, your imagination is in charge here use it. Think the negative archetypes into non existance. You have no idea how powerful your thoughtforms are when used wisely like an arrow flying to puncture false ideaforms. Hang in there you are asking all of the right queries.

lol yeah that is my exact question good analysis of my thought but the visualization and imagination gose hand in hand with the kingdom of god "bible" change the inside and the outside will follow is there any resonance there?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Leuan

The creator has given you a rope at birth. It's not his fault if you keep looping it and strangle yourself.

Peace makes no sense to "blind" people...

Most of us are completely blind to the truth because we only listen to the "god" of this world.

Instead of looking at ETERNITY, we only see the rope.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

reply to post by GRS1234

lol yeah that is my exact question good analysis of my thought but the visualization and imagination gose hand in hand with the kingdom of god "bible" change the inside and the outside will follow is there any resonance there?

God Bible elimate? Start all over again with your imagination as to your known truth and believe me yours is more close to any others EVER as a personal idea of your being. You own it, your resonance/vibration your Pure Self Expression best inventor of all: GRS1234 the expression of yourself in a most grand fashion. Congradulations.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

Nice CJ! I like your parable much better

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Leuan

I don't believe in this stuff, but I would say he's going to come and kill us. The bible talks more about death and murder than it does life and prosperity.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

What is your [s]transformation[/s] interpretation of this parable?

That's not a parable. It's a sentence within a parable. Verses 34 through 37 is one "sub-topic" within quite a few that you'll find in chapter 10. The whole point of chapter 10 being that the love of God and Jesus overshadows everything else, and quite a few different ways of getting that point across are used in that one chapter. This is why I put in verses 33 and 38; To give you a better idea of how chapters can wander aimlessly between sub-topics within the same chapter. 33 being the end of one and 38 being the start of another ( Don't blame Matthew though, blame the editor) I gave this analogy a frame between two other ones that are all within the same parable. Why the translators pieced together chapters in this fashion is beyond me. It makes the meanings harder to grasp in my opinion.

33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

(ESV version BTW)

When taking 34 through 37 in the context that it's meant to be understood, it's basically saying that if you put his love first and foremost, that is what binds families tighter. Making them more tight-knit and having a solid foundation on which to grow on. If you put the love of a family member first and then take the love of Jesus somewhere farther down on your list of priorities, that fact is the "sword" that will divide you. What he's saying is that a family isn't the foundation on which to build your faith in Him, but He should be the foundation on which everything else needs to be built. That's my take on it at least.

The way it's worded though I can completely understand how it can be misinterpreted as saying that Jesus himself will do the dividing. Especially when it's written that “I didn't come here to send peace on earth, but a sword”. That puts the peaceful message that is trying to get across in a somewhat violent light. And in my opinion that's when a message gets lost. When the method of conveying the message contradicts the message itself. They need to stop being so pompous about it all and get straight to the point.

By no stretch of the imagination am I a biblical scholar. I am however well versed in the English language and can decipher just about anything. But the way the Bible is pieced together makes it a very hard read for me. Some of the messages in the NT are good, but the style in which they're presented give me a headache. If you have a good message, just get to the point. No need to beat around the bush.
edit on 28-1-2013 by TheOne17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Leuan

Heres my take on it :

"Earth" = This world and all its materialistic distractions... the way it was when he first came.
"Sword" = Jesus opposition to this materialistic world.

You will notice that Jesus taught people not to be attached to existence on earth... but rather to beware of it and stay focused on the world to come. This was probably the inspiration for this later teaching we see in 1John2:15

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

He did not preach "peace" with the world, i.e he did not teach that one should become comfortable on earth. He did not go around preaching that one should live to enjoy the pleasures of the world (as taught by materialistic church leaders) ....but rather he did the exact opposite. The sword that Jesus said he's bringing is meant for the earth which he saw as wicked.

The division you read of between members of a household represents the conflict in choices made between them.

God knows best.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Funny the word sword even has a word word in it

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Oooh, I know this one. I'm sure there are thousands of people out there who misconstrue this quote, possibly even to justify their own deluded and lacking moral compass. You CANNOT take one sentence out of so much speech and attempt to present that as evidence for an ideology. When we look at the whole of Jesus' behavior, the meaning becomes much more clear. For instance, remember when Jesus was betrayed, and they came to take him away? One of his disciples cut off the guy's ear, and Jesus healed it immediately and said that basically he has never advocated nor used violence in any capacity.

As far as the actual meaning, like some of Jesus' other statements, they are in fact metaphors. In this instance the statement was meant to represent an ideological battle, or violence, and not physical violence. Actually, if you read what follows this section you will find that Jesus immediately talks of "division" and basically would be contradicting Himself had He meant actual physical violence. And to take it one step further, somewhere in Luke this exact statement appears again, but the word "sword" is not present, instead reading "division." THAT is what he meant, and this is just an example of people who do not know what they are talking about misinterpreting the Bible.

Can you believe that people are also still saying that Jesus never existed? That is pure ignorance as well, and had the one who believes this taken the time to research the argument, they would have found that no respectable scholar holds this view today. There are too many Gentile, or non-Jewish sources that either describe some aspect of Jesus as a historical figure, or agree that he was a historical figure. The most prominent is Titus Flavius Josephus, or just Josephus, who spoke of Jesus in his "Antiquity of the Jews." Just for the nitpickers, yes Josephus was not born until a few years after Jesus died, so maybe he was not the best example to use. And I think he may have been a Jew as well. A Roman-Jew for sure, if he was Jewish.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
You come to ATS to discuss interpretation of the Bible?

First read what the Bible says about that! ( the principle of asking non spiritual spiritual things, not the 'internet' obviously)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Backgammon post-
To those who may have come under the impression that I'm insulting you through my replies, I am not or I was not. Some of them came out as scattered or poorly manifest. I apologize.
Never write on the fly!

-------> for enoch-
Hopefully you come back to share some more wisdom with us, as you seem to be constantly changing gears and evolving within the word.
I will leave one last question, so if you come back hopefully you will come upon this question and leave a reply:
Where do I find a copy of the book of enoch? lol.. I would like an unaltered copy but I don't plan on going to Greece. The Bible has enough problems with mistranslations or alterations so I ask this in genuine curiosity.
paaaaaaaaaaice

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The sword represents the word of God or Truth and it means not all will accept it so the world will be divided Jesus is sayng Truth is greater than Unity.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid
reply to post by Leuan

The creator has given you a rope at birth. It's not his fault if you keep looping it and strangle yourself.

Peace makes no sense to "blind" people...

Most of us are completely blind to the truth because we only listen to the "god" of this world.

Instead of looking at ETERNITY, we only see the rope.

Excellent post. That man was alluding to the same metaphor as I (umbilical cord metaphor)
Thanks for adding that and you're welcome anytime in "my house"

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I like your thoughts but think of the sword as the word of God as it is represented this way through out scripture Jesus is simply saying Truth is greater than Unity.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join