Homeopathy is 'rubbish', says chief medical officer

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

There are a lot of things we can do to help, like change our bodies Ph balance to help.

You would be amazed at how simple, yet effective this one little tip is...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

like these ??
link 1
link 2

1. Linde K, Clausius N, Ramirez G, et al. Are the clinical effects of homeopathy placebo effects? A meta-analysis of placebo-controlled trials. Lancet 1997; 350: 834–43.

2. Kleijnen J, Knipschild P, ter Riet G. Clinical trials of homoeopathy. Br Med J 1991; 302: 316–23.

3. Linde K, Melchart D. Randomized controlled trials of individualized homeopathy: a state-of-the-art review. J Altern Complement Med 1998; 4: 371–88.

4. Cucherat M, Haugh MC, Gooch M, Boissel J-P. Evidence of clinical efficacy of homeopathy. A meta-analysis of clinical trials. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2000; 56: 27–33.

5. Clover A. Patient benefit survey: Tunbridge Wells Homoeopathic Hospital. Br Homeopath J 2000; 89: 68–72.

6. Richardson, W. R. Patient benefit survey: Liverpool Regional Department of Homoeopathic Medicine. Br Homeopath J 2001; 90: 158–62.

7. McCutcheon LE. Treatment of anxiety with a homeopathic remedy. J Appl Nutr 1996; 48: 2–6.

8. Alibeu JP, Jobert J. Aconit en dilution homéopathique et agitation post-opératoire de l'enfant. Pediatrie 1990; 45: 465–6.

9. Reilly D, Taylor MA, Beattie NGM, et al. Is evidence for homoeopathy reproducible? Lancet 1994; 344: 1601–6.

10. Matusiewicz R. The effect of a homeopathic preparation on the clinical condition of patients with corticosteroid-dependent bronchial asthma. Biomed Ther 1997; 15: 70–4.

11. Jacobs J, Jiminez LM, Gloyd SS, et al. Treatment of acute childhood diarrhea with homeopathic medicine: a randomized clinical trial in Nicaragua. Pediatrics 1994; 93: 719–25.

12. Jacobs J, Jimenez LM, Malthouse S, et al. Homeopathic treatment of acute childhood diarrhea: results from a clinical trial in Nepal. J Altern Complement Med 2000; 6: 131–9.

13. Friese KH, Kruse S, Ludtke R, Möller H. The homoeopathic treatment of otitis media in children  comparisons with conventional therapy. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 1997; 35: 296–301.

14. Harrison H, Fixsen A, Vickers A. A randomized comparison of homoeopathic and standard care for the treatment of glue ear in children. Complement Ther Med 1999; 7: 132–5.

15. Jacobs J, Springer DA, Crothers D. Homeopathic treatment of acute otitis media in children: a preliminary randomized placebo-controlled trial. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2001; 20: 177–83.

16. Wiesenauer M, Häussler S, Gaus W. Pollinosis therapy with Galphimia glauca. Fortschr Med 1983; 101: 811–4.

17. Reilly DT, Taylor MA. Potent placebo or potency? A proposed study model with initial findings using homoeopathically prepared pollens in hayfever. Br Homeopath J 1985; 74: 65–75.

18. Reilly DT, Taylor MA, McSharry C, Aitchison T. Is homoeopathy a placebo response? Controlled trial of homoeopathic potency, with pollen in hayfever as model. Lancet 1986; ii: 881–6.

19. Wiesenauer M, Lüdtke R. The treatment of pollinosis with Galphimia glauca D4  a randomized placebo-controlled double-blind clinical trial. Phytomedicine 1995; 2: 3–6.

20. Taylor MA, Reilly D, Llewellyn-Jones RH, et al. Randomised controlled trial of homoeopathy versus placebo in perennial allergic rhinitis with overview of four trial series. Br Med J 2000; 321: 471–6.

21. Wiesenauer M, Gaus W, Häussler S. Behandlung der Pollinosis mit Galphimia glauca: Eine Doppelblindstudie unter Praxisbedingungen. Allergologie 1990; 13: 359–63.

22. Ferley JP, Zmirou D, Adhemar D, Balducci F. A controlled evaluation of a homoeopathic preparation in the treatment of influenza-like syndromes. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1989; 27: 329–35.

23. Papp R, Schuback G, Beck E, et al. Oscillococcinum in patients with influenza-like syndromes: a placebo-controlled double-blind evaluation. Br Homeopath J 1998; 87: 69–76.

24. Tveiten D, Bruseth S, Borchgrevink CF, Norseth J. Effects of the homoeopathic remedy Arnica D30 on marathon runners: a randomized, double-blind study during the 1995 Oslo Marathon. Complement Ther Med 1998; 6: 71–4.

25. Hariveau E. La recherche clinique a l'institut Boiron. Homéopathie 1987; 5: 55–8.

26. Stam C, Bonnet MS, van Haselen RA. The efficacy and safety of a homeopathic gel in the treatment of acute low back pain: a multi-centre, randomised, double-blind comparative clinical trial. Br Homeopath J 2001; 90: 21–8.

27. Dorfman P, Lasserre MN, Tetau M. Préparation à l'accouchement par homéopathie – experimentation en double insu versus placebo. Cahiers Biothérap 1987; 94: 77–81.

28. Dorfman P, Amodeo C, Riccioti F, et al. Evaluation de l'activité d'arnica 5CH sur les troubles veineux après perfusion prolongée. Cahiers Biothérap 1988; 98 (Suppl): 77–82.
more available

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Nice job; I was having fun watching him cherry pick his responses though...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I believe people are born with a predisposition to Homeopathy. Its passed down through knowledge of one's environment be male or female.

I myself have tried Aloe Vera Plant on a burn and it felt good.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
I believe people are born with a predisposition to Homeopathy.

Very true, some people are just born gullible. As only the gullible fall for homeopathy.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Do you even know what predisposition means?

Predisposition : hold a particular attitude, or act in a particular way.

Your ability to draw context clues, and read posts fully is failing you...

Aloe Vera and Iodine work wonders for cuts and burns...By all means claim they don't though...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas
Aloe Vera and Iodine work wonders for cuts and burns...By all means claim they don't though...

They have nothing at all to do with the hoax of homeopathy....

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

They could; Aloe Vera is a plant and Seaweed contains Iodine....

You fail at drawing context clues just as you did with his post...

He was referring to the pre-conceived attitude people hold for any kind of alternative therapies, homeopathy included, and you went off blabbing about something totally out of context...

Should I report you for trolling like you did for me calling you a foolish person?

Iodum (Homeopathy)

Aloe Vera (Homeopathy)
edit on 27-1-2013 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Yes, what you said.
I was thinking of "Native Americans" also, Know what I mean. They are (and have been) into Homeopathy, passed down to them etc..

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Yes, many ancient cultures practiced a range of what we now consider to be 'alternative' therapies....Notwithstanding, they were surprisingly less diseased than our current culture is...Many even used the Phytonutrient type therapy, like I outlined in my Science of Healing with Food Colors.
edit on 27-1-2013 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Hopefully you're not using those studies as support for homoeopathy. If you are, I suggest reading the studies before posting them next time.

The first study you referenced (Linde, 1997) states at the very beginning:

The results of our meta-analysis are not compatible with the hypothesis that the clinical effects of homoeopathy are completely due to placebo. However, we found insufficient evidence from these studies that homoeopathy is clearly efficacious for any single clinical condition.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by alkali
reply to post by Honor93

Hopefully you're not using those studies as support for homoeopathy. If you are, I suggest reading the studies before posting them next time.

The first study you referenced (Linde, 1997) states at the very beginning:

The results of our meta-analysis are not compatible with the hypothesis that the clinical effects of homoeopathy are completely due to placebo. However, we found insufficient evidence from these studies that homoeopathy is clearly efficacious for any single clinical condition.
i didn't review any of the studies ... i copied 1/3 of the references listed for the link 2 posted above them
... point being, the 'opinion' piece i linked was inclusive of over 60 references ... the OPs, not so much.

@ VA -- have fun ... this one circles really well but fails to provide any substance, any sources and never forgets to fully demean the character of those he's never met ... enjoy.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
i didn't review any of the studies ... .

So you just blindly cut and pasted, thinking they supported homeopathy, but in fact the reverse was true!

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   

hardly fool ... look again.
the LINK is specific regarding homeopathy ... the resources used to produce the LINK are also posted ... you know, those same 'sources' missing from the OPs opinion piece.

yes, yes, i read the single study referenced by another poster (not the OP btw) ... if that's what is being presented as a 'study' these days, it's no wonder ppl are questioning it.

a 'study' of less than 15 viable samples heavily favored in conventional results isn't what i'd call a valid study.
ETA -- homeopathy is not being touted as a stand alone treatment.
nor is it being presented as a cure all of any kind, however, it has been proven effective for numerous ailments and that is indisputable.
edit on 28-1-2013 by Honor93 because: ETA

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Reading this thread and seeing all of the people posting negatively about the homeopathic approach to healing is silly.... You would be amazed at the number of non prescription homeopathic remedies that VA doctors are telling their patients to purchase and take because of the bad reactions and ineffectiveness of what they are required to prescribe... In three months time I have gone from a diagnoses of being pre diabetic, hypertensive and having elevated cholesterol, plus I dropped off 20 lbs.... I'm feeling much better as well... We get a pretty intense report on the prescribed medication we receive from the VA and the blind studies of them using the medication on a group of people and a placebo on the other often proves almost identical results... I take a couple of prescription meds for pain, another for extreme anxiety when it has had me awake for a few days and one for arthritis inflammation... I wave been able to cut back considerably on the amount and frequency that I need them.... They are costing me very little because a few of the Super Food items have somewhat curbed my appetite and cravings for sweets..... The alternative approach has been becoming more and more mainstream for a number of years and is such a threat to the pharmaceutical criminals they want to require them to license food supplements, herbs, and vitamins so they can take over their market..... The way the OP was written and many of his and others responses sound as if they have an agenda to endear themselves with the pharmaceutical giants.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

What homeopathic remedies are being suggested by VA doctors?

Originally posted by hypervigilant
In three months time I have gone from a diagnoses of being pre diabetic, hypertensive and having elevated cholesterol, plus I dropped off 20 lbs.... I'm feeling much better as well... We get a pretty intense report on the prescribed medication we receive from the VA and the blind studies of them using the medication on a group of people and a placebo on the other often proves almost identical results...

Losing weight will often result in regression of prediabetes, decrease in blood pressure, and lower cholesterol levels. No medication or remedy needed. Also, medications that have no better effect than placebo do not pass clinical trials.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by alkali

What homeopathic remedies are being suggested by VA doctors?
Red Yeast Rice, Krill Oil, and Flax Seed Oil... For treatment of high cholesterol.... Staten drugs have been messing a lot of people up horribly both physically and mentally and these have been suggested as an alternative and are proving to be successful.

In three months time I have gone from a diagnoses of being pre diabetic, hypertensive and having elevated cholesterol, plus I dropped off 20 lbs.... I'm feeling much better as well... We get a pretty intense report on the prescribed medication we receive from the VA and the blind studies of them using the medication on a group of people and a placebo on the other often proves almost identical results...

Losing weight will often result in regression of prediabetes, decrease in blood pressure, and lower cholesterol levels. No medication or remedy needed. Also, medications that have no better effect than placebo do not pass clinical trials.
I have weighed as much as 240 lbs and had low cholesterol and very low B/P. and lost a tremendous amount while on statens and had a rise in cholesterol.... and B/P.. It is not as low as it was before statens but the doctor thinks 113/70 is real good...
edit on 28-1-2013 by hypervigilant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   

You're confusing herbal medicine with homeopathy. Some herbal treatments are effective and have strong research to back up their effects, unlike homeopathy. Others, like homeopathy, fail miserably at providing any benefit.

On a side note that's a bit off topic and not really directed at anyone in particular, people need to be careful with herbal medicine the same as with prescription drugs. Just because its natural does not mean its safe. For example, red yeast rice lowers cholesterol because it contains a statin and can interact with antibiotics, among other drugs. Another example is St. John's Wort which can have interactions with antidepressants resulting in death (although rare).

Check yourself before you wreck yourself

I'm glad you're doing better hypervigilant.
edit on 28-1-2013 by alkali because: typo

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   

You would be amazed at the number of non prescription homeopathic remedies that VA doctors are telling their patients to purchase and take because of the bad reactions and ineffectiveness of what they are required to prescribe...

Please list what homeopathic remedies the VA Dr's are telling you to take.

We get a pretty intense report on the prescribed medication we receive from the VA and the blind studies of them using the medication on a group of people and a placebo on the other often proves almost identical results...

What medications are those? Drugs that have little to no effect aren't allowed to get prescribed.

I get the distinct impression here that people responding have ZERO clue what a homeopathic remedy is. People do realize that many homeopathic remedies have zero of the original active ingredient in them after being diluted right? Many homeopathic remedies are diluted to 30c. At 13c there is ZERO of the 'active ingredient' left. I do not mean very little, I mean literally zero, not even one molecule.
edit on 28-1-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
I get the distinct impression here that people responding have ZERO clue what a homeopathic remedy is. People do realize that many homeopathic remedies have zero of the original active ingredient in them after being diluted right? Many homeopathic remedies are diluted to 30c. At 13c there is ZERO of the 'active ingredient' left. I do not mean very little, I mean literally zero, not even one molecule

homeopathic medicine is very powerful and dangerous. We have the case where someone made homeopathic water.... and one of the people who took it (called 06p in the study) was a female, and when she was interviewed 6 months later said she suffered from "Redness of scrotum (sustained)"

Yes, that is how silly they are. Read how they made the homeopathic water here:
www.hominf.org...

and the interview 6 months later here:
www.hominf.org...

then they made homeopathic badger that was from roadkill
www.hominf.org...

Then a homeopathic stone circle
www.maryenglish.com...

then homeopathic light from Saturn
www.interhomeopathy.org...

do not forget homeopathic shipwreck
www.maryenglish.com...

or homeopathic thunderstorm
www.maryenglish.com...

you can even get a homeopathic great wall of China...
www.maryenglish.com...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join