It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the South Korean Military ban 23 books?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I was looking on wiki at a banned book list and I found it quite curious to notice that the South Korean Military had banned so many books. What with all its capitalism, democracy and freedom, I assumed that South Korea was a place where people were free to learn and think as they chose. This does not seem to be the case at all.

The South Korean Military has banned 23 books. Many of these books seem to have titles like 'What Uncle Sam Really Wants'. It seems that the South Korean military does not allow anything that is anti-American or anti-capitalist.

With all the propaganda about North Korea it seems that South Korea is hardly the land of freedom.

Army lawyers argued that the prohibition was a fair interpretation of the military's disciplinary code, because the literature in question sympathizes with communist North Korea and criticizes the economic systems of South Korea and the U.S.

www.time.com...

If anyone has the complete list of books banned by the South Korean Military could you post a link? I am having trouble finding the complete list.

Western Media always claim that South Koreans fully support America and the msm creates a narrative that makes one think that all South Koreans need American protection and are forever in debt to America for saving them from communism but the more you read, the more you understand that this is not the case. There are clips on youtube of anti-American protests in South Korea and there are even clips of a riot at the gates of a US Military Base in South Korea. Now I read that the South Korean Military bans literature that questions Americanism. It is obvious that there is alot of anti-American sentiment in South Korea.

The thing that stands out is that it is not the South Korean Government that is banning these books but the South Korean Military.

I know that Gangnam says he likes America now that Americans are buying up his song but in 2004 he said that he wanted the "daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law, and fathers" of "f***ing Yankees" and U.S. troops associated with torturing Iraqis to be killed "slowly and painfully."

It seems clear that not all South Koreans like America. The news makes it seem like they do.
edit on 27-1-2013 by stuntmanbob because: (no reason given)

edit- I thought communism and dictatorship were supposed to be associated with oppression. Not capitalism and democracy.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by stuntmanbob

What news makes it seem like they do? The governments are strong allies, and S. Koreans do not wish America to not be their ally, but many of them feel slighted by US policies. They also do not like the fact we beat them in the Olympics, and that seriously made a lot of them dislike America.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

What news makes it seem like they do? The governments are strong allies, and S. Koreans do not wish America to not be their ally, but many of them feel slighted by US policies. They also do not like the fact we beat them in the Olympics, and that seriously made a lot of them dislike America.

Kinda seems like all media implies that South Korea are a beacon of Americanism in Asia. And when I see anti-American sentiment in South Korea it seems odd because the media makes this seem impossible.

But yeah, I forgot about the Olympics.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Are these books banned by the South Korean government or are they banned from military bases? There is a big difference and it would at least clarify the situation.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by stuntmanbob

Kinda seems like all media implies that South Korea are a beacon of Americanism in Asia. And when I see anti-American sentiment in South Korea it seems odd because the media makes this seem impossible.

But yeah, I forgot about the Olympics.

They are a beacon of "Americanism". In a way. Our cultures are very different though.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Are these books banned by the South Korean government or are they banned from military bases? There is a big difference and it would at least clarify the situation.

Banned only by the military. Civilians can have them. It really is a non story.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Banned only by the military. Civilians can have them. It really is a non story.

Exactly and why I presented the question. Our own military places limits on their bases and there isn't an uproar but 4000 miles away we are going to question it as against "capitalism"? I am not sure how the OP made that connection but I guess what is good for the goose is good for the gander..

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by stuntmanbob

America has a prime spot on the world stage. There is anti-American sentiment in all countries.

To me, people are people. I try not to judge anybody based on where they're from. But I see a lot of other people do.

Off topic a little, but isn't it like a gift and opportunity to have all the different cultures around our world? I think it's also a challenge at times.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Banned already? Dude lasted 3 days? lol :shk:

new topics

top topics

join