It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Koreans demand something greater than nuclear testing.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
What have they had now? 1 or 2 true long range tests of missiles? We don't even know for sure how successful they may have been or not been to their expectations. To hit Los Angeles they'd need a miracle of luck and first try success that doesn't really happen outside Hollywood movies, IMO.

New York would take God himself since their nation would need to be physically moved for the range to work.

I *DO* wonder where that 'failure' of a satellite went to though and what it's doing up there, if it's still in orbit. What orbit and how often does it cross the United States? I hadn't been paying attention because it really looked like more junk from a viability test they may or may not call a success as well.

That little crack about more though... Well... That would be a bad bad thing to see pop as a high order detonation in orbit. That would be a REALLY nasty thing to do. Japan and Pearl Harbor might be forgiven in historian's minds, perhaps. North Korea would have topped it by a long mile in dastardly deeds.

Of course, that's giving them truck loads more credit than I think they deserve given the system of oppression and stifling any kind of creative thought they have. It's not the place people come up with really audacious ideas to pull a shocker for the world. (His Father and the Korean War notwithstanding)

North Korea has the ability to send a nuclear weapon to any point on the planet. The satellite launch was only successful because they tricked the US into thinking they would launch it much later. Previous launch times were announced. The US was not able to knock it down with their lasers this time. Once they realized what happened they hit the satellite with a laser. That's why it is not functional and tumbling. Any nuclear missile launch from North Korea would be unannounced. The US would have to know pretty quickly what was happening if they want to hit the warhead. It is not all that certain that targeting it with a laser would destroy the warhead.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

I agree. America will have the advantage and better military. But the favourite doesnt always win. Sometimes it makes them cocky and causes them to underestimate their opponent.

I dont doubt that America could win WW3 but I also wouldnt be shocked if they lost.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by stuntmanbob
reply to post by Jakes51

I agree. America will have the advantage and better military. But the favourite doesnt always win. Sometimes it makes them cocky and causes them to underestimate their opponent.

I dont doubt that America could win WW3 but I also wouldnt be shocked if they lost.

I can agree with that assessment. Never underestimate the resolve of an opponent. Big or small. That should be regarded as common knowledge, but throughout the annals of history nation states have forgotten that core principle. They have paid dearly for it. Just train and be prepared for any eventuality. Lets leave the showboating to the pot-belly dictators.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by stuntmanbob

This video game mentality is just that.........

Not going to happen.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by XalienagendaX

How if the parts form the Dec missile as is reported yesterday, are from all nations , yes a breach of UN sanctions, just as China's Missiles parts are, then how are you to say yes they came form china ??? no they could have copied a China made missile just as China has copied our missiles or is it Russia made missiles?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Most if not all for get the power of the inter net , just because the people are banned does not mean the heads of state are, if i can sit and type in this www.globalsecurity.org... do you not think there best minds have not worked on it?? Could they have a working model? from the link

By shaping the plutonium pit into an ovoid [like a small watermelon, smaller than a football], Livermore weapons designers were able to dramatically reduce the size and number of explosives needed to detonate the bomb. The The W47 was the first warhead in this new generation of weapons. Although it was only half as large as the bomb that leveled Hiroshima, but it had 80 times the yield.
the new gen of nukes is Fission this was a fusion big difference in size of boom

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

some one might have said the same thing at Los Alamos National Laboratory one day, Wen Ho Lee scandal www.biography.com... not say he did it or not the fact remains secrets were stolen, and the "words not going to happen" will always be the last words spoken.odd that the w88 turned up in china's hands now is it not what about China's missiles if it can be copied stolen or thought of well then some one has done it freebeacon.com... and on this link nuclearweaponarchive.org... one could say a pic of the Dec 12 missile is shown

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Adaluncatif

You're assuming a capability and giving them credit for something which no physical evidence exists to support. It's a LONG trip from their current missile technology to intercontinental ballistic missiles. If they'd be so foolish as to "develop" them without a process of testing, refinement, more testing for more correction to finally develop a reliable version? Well, it's to our benefit I guess but I fear for the world if they actually launched something, thinking they'd get a one-off success for REAL on what ought to be a test run with sandbags for payload.

There is a reason the Russians, Chinese and Americans use the Pacific Ocean for missile test ranges. It's a BIG BIG ocean. Mistakes can be hundreds of miles off intended course (and ...well...mistakes HAVE happened in developing all this) without landing on a whole different nation than was intended. It would be more than simply embarrassing if North Korea aimed at Los Angeles and nukes Guadalajara. Or...aimed at New York and toasted Toronto.

You're attributing a military capability to a nation which has no record of ever having successfully developed it. I'll stick with what they're proven to have built, tested and..at least have reason to hope actually works. (Even Israel HAS tested their nukes. The U.S. got a great look at one wayyy back in the start when they popped it in conjunction with South Africa who cooperated in their development stages)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The word is.... That the Dec 12th launch was indeed a test launch for an ICBM, that the parts used in the missile are under a UN ban. I'd say by years end DPRK will have at lest 12 ICBMs that could hit the west coat of the USA here is the link www.voanews.com...

edit on 27-1-2013 by bekod because: added link, line edit

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

But the successful firing of a three-stage rocket - after previous failed attempts, and placing an object into orbit - is a significant propaganda victory for Pyongyang over Seoul.

South Korea has tried and failed three times to launch from its soil its own satellites into space.
(from your link)

Indeed.. South Korea seems pretty bent out of shape over being one-up'ed. I also notice the one making the claims of 10,000km range based on debris and parts is ...un-named. Ahh... So mighty powerful claims behind the great wall of "I didn't say that!".

IF TRUE....this would be basis, given recent years, to go to war or more properly put, re-fire the existing war with North Korea.

Tell me one thing. Do YOU feel confident enough by that report and it's "proof" of effective ICBM capability to go to war and see several hundred thousand people die? I don't. Not even remotely close. Until evidence to that level emerges that that have the rocket, the guidance systems and the electronics to sustain it all the way to a successful strike half a world away, it's speculation based on what didn't appear all that successful to me. I could be wrong though.

The difference, of course, is my assumption being wrong harms no one unless North Korean leadership really does want to die in a nuclear fireball. That would be their outcome in the time it took for the missiles to cross BACK over the Pacific to end whatever lives they ever had or hoped to have. IF on the other hand, the assumption of technology they have not been proven to have is wrong? We have Iraq X's 100 for loss of life and potential blow-up into a regional war.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

They have very long memories the North Koreans.

No they don't they have hard indoctrination and propaganda, no real memory at all, it is already too hard to attempt to survive there let alone have any constructive thought outside of serving the "glorious leader". Note also that NK was established by the Soviets and later co-opted by China. China had no hand on the creation of NK, only on its perpetuation...

NK today serves very little purpose beyond being a very poor client state, especially after the "system change" in China...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

That doesn't make sense though. You have to understand. Nukes are coveted by these governments. No government would willingly hand over a nuke to a group of terrorists. Too much risk, they could never trust that it would be used for what they intended. If you hear that a terrorist group got one and it's not intrinsically connected to Pakistan then question it. No country, not even Iran, is going to hand a nuke to a group that could use it against them, fail, sell it, or use it to their own means.

It's just unrealistic.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

War with N Korea Hell no!!!! it is Souths problem get us out and let it be a civil war again we have no need for another war , Not this time, for they the North would without hesitation use a nuke on us, This is a waring shot by them, get out stay out!!!! stay in then face a nuke down your shorts US, say good by to SF SD LA Malibu and Pearl Harbor. now as far a war head goes 1M or even a DF31 China's ICBM would be my thinking would do Want to play a game?? lets see what 5 would do on the west coast www.carloslabs.com... speaking of China just how did they get there ICBM program going , if i said DPRK learns fast would you believe me ? with out a link?? probable not so here is linky www.fas.org... as fast as DPRK is doing they will have one close to this the DF5 from the link

When the DF-5 was first tested in September 1971, it had a range of 10,000 to 12,000 kms which allowed it to threaten the western portions of the United States. Beginning in 1983 the Chinese inaugurated the improved DF-5A, with an increased of over 13,000 km and a more accurate guidance system. The DF-5A upgrade increased the throw-weight of the system from 3,000 kg to 3,200 kg.
still think DPRK is all talk??? Revenge is why all the fuss and the wiliness to have war, is DPRK's true intentions.
reluctant to post link for it is a direct link to DPRK and there own words do not want to seem support of, when it is my intention to open eyes and open clogged in ears.

edit on 28-1-2013 by bekod because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-1-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

If China is giving out Nuclear weapons...Iran has them too. If Pakistan is giving out Nuclear weapons...WHO KNOWS who has them by now and is simply keeping it secret (unlike anything the West does these days)

I'm assuming North Korea has what they have physically demonstrated they have. It's not about believing you and I use the FAS site myself quite frequently. I'm familiar with and respect most of their analysis and data. I'll stand by this though. North Korea either has a natural development cycle, perhaps aided by other nations like Iran in similar levels of development...or this is ALL a moot point anyway.

If North Korea has full Chinese ICBM technology then that crazy Kim could plant one in the White House fountain, give or take a few yards, and really light up the town like never before. If that's the case....I'd guess maybe a billion people will be alive within 6 months of that first pop...and that's probably a wild over estimation.

That's so far into the bad category it's like worrying about Apophis or the Yellowstone Caldara. There is 0 that could be done and we're all dead anyway so why worry?

On the other hand..again..I will leave my worries at the level physical evidence exists to show they are really at...not the worried fears of where they COULD be. THAT thinking is what got us Iraq. That really burned me from ever going down THAT path again like a school kid with no common sense of my own. Damn Bush but he taught the nation REAL WELL what comes by faith that there is more than we can SEE ourselves.

Much death...and for absolutely nothing. That's where that leads, IMO.

edit on 28-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
They've got North Korea starved down to a mere 10 million people.

Lucky if 8 million survive the winter. They're chewing on each other right now to survive.

Those North Koreans are going to be extinct pretty soon. Starvation and extinction hasn't even pushed them to come out fighting and go out like men.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

but their getting close their DPRK words are of war and nothing else they will do what ever it takes to get what they want , what ever that might be, but peace is not one of them, revenge and blood lust is, again not will to post link but you can do a DPRK news search you might find the same words, thoughts beliefs that twisted country has, "it is better to build a nuke, than to feed the hungry"

edit on 28-1-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
what happened to anti nuclear missile systems? isn't there a few of them around?

cant you guys just shoo it from the sky? and then go in and flatten them?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join