Missile launcher turned in at Seattle gun buyback

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Hi all

Im all for the 2nd ammendment but I think banning rocket launchers would be ok.. I just thought this pic was funny.

It says someone bought it for 100 buks but then police confiscated it.. Who goes to a gun buy back with a rocket launcher?

www.oregonlive.com...

A nonfunctional missile launcher was among the weapons that showed up Saturday at a gun buyback event in Seattle.
The military weapon was a single-use device that had already been used,
edit on 26-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
If it was a single use item, then it was no longer a weapon.

I would be willing to bet a paycheck that it came from a military member who gave or sold it to a friend.
This is just like the AT-4 that was turned in in LA. An expended training item that was never capable of being used as a weapon in the first place.

But the media will report the hell out of it to make it seem like every gun owner has Javelin missiles squirreled away in their basements.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
LOL i bet it's just on loan from the LAPD. Gotta have something really scary to take pics of for these buybacks.

Most of the ones I've seen that turn up in these buybacks are either spent AT-4's, AT-4 non-functional trainers, or the functional AT-4 trainer that fires (gasp) a 9mm tracer.

That looks like a stinger to me though. Of course the AP article was written by someone who doesn't know crap about weapons. It doesn't even give the model and then calls it an RPG (anti-ground vehicle weapon)in the pic and a surface-to-air missile in the text.

I've never fired or trained on a stinger, but I didn't think they were one use weapons like the AT-4, but I could definitely be wrong about that.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

yeah I dont understand why it was confiscated if it was a single use item..

I think it would be kinda cool to have one.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I used to pull dozens of those out of the military dump when I was a kid. They look cool, but are little more than green pvc tubing.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Seattle is such a strange place, I swear. Everyone there should spend a year in Texas ....just to get their head on right. It's as if they need a babysitter. Or a leader to give them a clue about common sense. The area makes it, only because the money flows up there like water, so everyone feels entitled.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

The military weapon was a single-use device that had already been used,

pretty much says it all - non-issue

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
you can still buy these old useless tubes online. They are about as dangerous as an aluminum pipe but of course the SCARE factor for the anti gun idiots is priceless propaganda for the media.

www.worthpoint.com...
www.buymilsurp.com...
www.gunsamerica.com...

edit on 26-1-2013 by infolurker because: add

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Those are single use items that can no longer shoot missiles. and are legal to buy in many states. Its basically no more harmful than a toy gun.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
you can still buy these old useless tubes online. They are about as dangerous as an aluminum pipe but of course the SCARE factor for the anti gun idiots is priceless.

www.worthpoint.com...
www.buymilsurp.com...
www.gunsamerica.com...

see.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by WP4YT

LOL... the replica RGP's look "meaner", Tell the media to use one of these next time because it is much more scary with a fake rocket in it.

blank-guns-depot.com...
www.inertproducts.com...
edit on 26-1-2013 by infolurker because: add

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It is not a missile launcher. It WAS a missile launcher. Now it's a talking piece, nothing more.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
First thing I would be doing is hiring me a lawyer and filing some papers on the city....how could they just take someones property like that.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Amazing what you find in the cupboard

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Don't suppose he'll be on the terrorist watch-list soon.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
First thing I would be doing is hiring me a lawyer and filing some papers on the city....how could they just take someones property like that.

They just didn't TAKE it, it was surrendered during a gun buyback

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy

my thoughts exactly !!

The cop answer.. " it's scary and.......we can do so w/out questions"

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
Hi all

Im all for the 2nd ammendment but I think banning rocket launchers would be ok.. I just thought this pic was funny.

Aye it is and it is very similar to the one that was turned in in the Los Angeles area; here is the thing though, it is the "tube" or rather, the inert portion of a single-fire weapon and poses no danger what so ever. But I guess if it grabs headlines, run with it right?!

It was highlighted that it was a non-function piece, so why is it shocking or anything relating to the 2nd Amendment? Where is your logic? Maybe check your backside OP.....

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by WP4YT
Those are single use items that can no longer shoot missiles. and are legal to buy in many states. Its basically no more harmful than a toy gun.

Yes, but doesn't a toy bubble gun make you a terrorist these days?

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I can't get the link to load, but I heard that this gun buyback actually turned into a bit of a gun show. Seems like some dealers showed up looking for rare and collectible guns and started buying them from people waiting in line.

Got this link form multiple sources but can't get it to pull up.

dcxposed.com/2013/01/27/seattle-gun-buyback-gets-jacked-turns-into-a-damn-gun-show-lol/

I think this link has most of the source article copied.

www.gunssavelife.com...

People that had arrived to trade in their weapons for $100 or $200 BuyBack gift cards($100 for handguns, shotguns and rifles, and $200 for assault weapons) soon realized that gun collectors were there and paying top dollar for collectible firearms. So, as the line for the chump cards got longer and longer people began to jump ship and head over to the dealers.

Makes a little more sense why a local newspaper would focus on a useless rocket tube now.

new topics
top topics

join