page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
what an ignorant thread.

Humans are on a fast track to becoming gods through technology. Animals have the purpose of eating and mating, thats all they know.

The sole purpose of animals and plants is to keep a balance in nature so that we may thrive.

So you just happen to know what animals are thinking about?? For all you know there might be more going on inside the head of for example a dolphin than your brain. Our brain is only one small part of why we humans got so technologically advanced. One of the main reason is our HANDS which are unique to life on earth. Our hands are nearly perfect for making tools. Even if you had a supersmart monkey they do not have flexible enough hands to make complicated tools. A dolphin would even have less even if they have superiour intelligence to us.

At least you show that humans can be extremely arrogant.
edit on 27-1-2013 by juleol because: (no reason given)

Even if dolphins had brains infinitely more intelligent than ours they would be inferior due the facts you just stated. On top of that how would they ever transfer the things they learn? I have seen people with nubs for fingers on both hands be able to do great and amazing things so why cant monkey make something as simple as a wheel in nature?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Knowledge, according to many humans, is the purpose for existence.

And how do you know this?

Take a look around and you see that we're the only beings who need large amounts of thorough knowledge in order to survive.

Are you saying that agriculture is evil?

Other animals don't need it as much and they never will.

That is because they are constrained by their environment... we are less burdened, because we have knowledge of how to alter our environment to suit our needs.

So intelligence is not the epitome or purpose for life.

Typical Strawman...

Attacking intelligence, by claiming that people believe that it is the purpose of existence.

No one is stating this except for you.

Nice job in defeating your own argument.

We determine status according to knowledge so we think we are the most superior species on the planet

HA, we determine status by birth, and money.... not knowledge.

Otherwise Teachers would be afforded higher esteem than celebrities, athletes, and royalty.

but by the universes standards, it seems to me that greatness isn't determined by how much you know

Well, by the universes standards, we have the pre-eminent position as apex predator on the planet earth because of our knowledge and intelligence....

Therefore, you are wrong.

but by how well you can love and appreciate

What exactly do you mean by Great?

You seem to be switching your meanings mid paragraph.....

Typical emotional tactic...

So, according to that logic, it may be that humans are actually among the most inferior species on the planet.

According to the insane troll logic that you just pulled out of your [snip]?

lol... What a GREAT standard to judge humanity by.... Your Droppings.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Typical intelligence bashing thread....

Pay no attention people.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I agree with you OP but not fully agree.

IMHO, the more we know about the 'blind' knowledge (organized religions, economy, politics, etc), the higher the chance that we never know who we are.

It's not that they're bad. Somehow I think the 'blind' knowledge are there to put us on ultimate test: to stay unconscious or become awake.
edit on 27-1-2013 by dodol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Technology in some parts is actually stopping people from evolving. TV, Phones, etc..

My smart phone makes me smarter.

Only certain people benefit from our technological feats.

Certain people?

If you use a computer you benefit from technology. If you drive a car, take a plane flight, ride a bicycle, you benefit from technology. If you eat food chances are you benefit from technology. Our entire civilization is based on technology. The 'certain people' not benefiting from technology are the tribes that haven't even seen technology.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Humans have a much greater capacity for love than any other animal on Earth

I am willing to wager that doesn't resonate with the countless animals sent to concentration camps for food production, the ones sent to science labs for vivisection, or the ones skinned for clothing.

Just trying to be real

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Knowledge, according to many humans, is the purpose for existence.

I think the purpose is to explore, and love each other while we do it. Knowledge is the vehicle.

We have human sentience. We shouldn't punish ourselves over the fact we have different needs and drives than other creatures. Technology is natural. It's created in nature from nature and continues to exist in nature. And it came from our natural minds.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
Typical intelligence bashing thread....

Pay no attention people.

The only intelligence i will be bashing today is yours. I never said one bad thing about knowledge or intelligence. But you didn't have enough intelligence to read the thread properly . So revoke your replies. Please and thank you.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

but by the universes standards

So, you are an authorized representative of the UNIVERSE, eh?

No, but I can see what the universe is trying to accomplish in a multi species inclusive sense rather than an egotistical human sense. Obviously, it's not all about intelligence, otherwise my dog wouldn't drink out of the toilet.

The way I see it, the better you can appreciate and respect worms, the closer you are to enlightenment. But people like you who would rather say, "appreciate worms? But worms are stupid." are the reason humans make wmd's.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
A section from Mark Twain's The Mysterious Stranger, springs to mind:

"No, it was a human thing. You should not insult the brutes by such a misuse of that word; they have not deserved it," and he went on talking like that." It is like your paltry race - always lying, always claiming virtues which it hasn't got, always denying them to the higher animals, which alone posses them. No brute ever does a cruel thing - that is the monopoly of those with the Moral Sense. When a brute inflicts pain he does it innocently; it is not wrong; for him there is no such thing as wrong. And he does not inflict pain for the pleasure of inflicting it - only man does that. Inspired by that mongrel Moral Sense of his! A sense whose function is to distinguish between right and wrong, with liberty to choose which of them he will do. Now what advantage can he get out of that? He is always choosing, and in nine cases out of ten he prefers the wrong. There shouldn't be any wrong; and without the Moral Sense there couldn't be any. And yet he is such an unreasoning creature that he is not able to perceive that the Moral Sense degrades him to the bottom layer of animated beings and is a shameful possession. Are you feeling better? Let me show you something."

Humans are animals. We try to convince ourselves that this isn't the case, and shed our primitive trades. But bottom line is that we are animals. Superior in some ways, inferior in other. We're cunning and efficient, we have great adaptability, but when it comes to physical performances we are outdone in every single field, and even in cognitive processing are inferior to other apes.
We live longer than most animals, but not all. It all depends on what you measure life by. I'd say we're pretty amazing, but not at all perfect.
- and, as Mark points out, in no way more moral than our fellow creatures.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

There are weird points in your post. I honestly do not know where to start.

Ok let´s see. You conclude by saying that the real measure of a species success is their ability to feel love and compassion.

Remember your statement about humans being the worst species? Ok, just checking.

Now tell me about the deep emotional life of a bee. They must "love" more than us humans. We are the worst after all.

But I have to admit that I agree with your basic point, that the success of a species shouldn´t be measured solely by it´s intelligence.

But then again who is measuring? And why? What are we arguing about here? The definition of success for a species?

I think there are more important matters to talk about.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The only intelligence i will be bashing today is yours.

Oh... you can TRY.

I never said one bad thing about knowledge or intelligence.

OH, IS THAT SO?

So intelligence is not the epitome or purpose for life. Therefore, the world cannot be justly judged by it.

So, according to that logic, it may be that humans are actually among the most inferior species on the planet.

You are stating that humans are the most inferior species on the planet, because we posses intelligence.

Do not play these silly little games with me.

But you didn't have enough intelligence to read the thread properly . So revoke your replies. Please and thank you.

I'm sure that you would like to believe so, but your entire thread is just some new age bull[snip] attributing universal love as a universal guideline, and bashing intelligence and knowledge.

You (Like plenty of your new age cohorts) seem to be forgetting one EXTREMELY SIMPLE CONCEPT:

Nature, is CRUEL.

Nature is not full of universal love, and compassion.... it is full of Predation, Death, Murder, Disease, Disasters, and sharp, pointy teeth covered in BLOOD.

You new age people only see the light side of nature, the flowers and the sunlight on butterflies.

But I have more RESPECT for nature than YOU do.... because I acknowledge what nature actually *IS* as opposed to believing in my own sugar coated fantasies of a all loving earth mother goddess.

We need intelligence and knowledge, to defend ourselves from NATURE'S CRUELTY.

And if you think that the UNIVERSE JUDGES... or that YOU have somehow capture the mind of GOD, and can speak for his motivations....

They you are just woefully arrogant about your place in the world....

The HUBRIS.

You stated that:

but by the universes standards, it seems to me that greatness isn't determined by how much you know, but by how well you can love and appreciate

But what you fail to realize, is that animals are not capable of LOVE and APPRECIATION.
edit on 28-1-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Nature is not full of universal love, and compassion.... it is full of Predation, Death, Murder, Disease, Disasters, and sharp, pointy teeth covered in BLOOD.

You're guilty of what you are accusing. Omitting observable truths, and so being disingenuous about nature. You're saying this person is taking the 'sunshine and butterflies' angle, but you're taking the other side of that coin.

The most genuine view would be to acknowledge the prevalence of both.

Love and compassion clearly exists in our world. It exists in us, it exists in nature. It also exists in mammals as is shown time over. You may disagree with that last point but many do not. Given the scope of the Universe it's likely these emotions exist elsewhere with other sentient beings. Likely a lot of it. Append all the other positive aspects of human experience outside of 'love' and 'compassion' for this list as well.

Now I am not dismissing part of your point. I very much agree about the cruelty and hostility of nature. And turning a blind eye to it isn't going to help anyone. We do need to accept this truth, so we can as you said, defend against it. This violent Universe shows its teeth in many ways.

And if you think that the UNIVERSE JUDGES... or that YOU have somehow capture the mind of GOD

Nothing wrong with the idea of it. Just accepting it as truth without evidence.

and can speak for his motivations....

Absolutely wrong I agree. Without evidence, it's a horrible and dangerous belief.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

You're guilty of what you are accusing.

False.

Omitting observable truths, and so being disingenuous about nature.

False.

You're saying this person is taking the 'sunshine and butterflies' angle, but you're taking the other side of that coin.

Because the side of the coin that I am speaking of was not expressed, and in fact, was completely omitted....

Therefore, I stated that The Bloody teeth side of the coin was omitted.

The most genuine view would be to acknowledge the prevalence of both.

This is correct.

But this thread didn't acknowledge both, did it?

Love and compassion clearly exists in our world. It exists in us, it exists in nature.

That's only because WE are also natural.

Nature has a fierce side to it... kill or be killed.

Human society was created to protect us from the dangers of the natural world.

Given the scope of the Universe it's likely these emotions exist elsewhere with other sentient beings.

I'm not going to argue this particular point, for the sole reason that I was trying to limit my statements to what has actually been proven publicly to exist.

And as much as you or I might believe in extraterrestrial intelligences, we can't exactly say anything about them with any knowledge behind our statements, can we?

Now I am not dismissing part of your point. I very much agree about the cruelty and hostility of nature. And turning a blind eye to it isn't going to help anyone. We do need to accept this truth, so we can as you said, defend against it. This violent Universe shows its teeth in many ways.

Yes, I agree, and in fact, this is the definition of my point.

What is more, is that our knowledge and intelligence is literally the only defensive mechanism we posses to defend against the cruelty of nature.

Therefore, arguing against intelligence, is to open oneself up to destruction at the "Hands" of the natural world.

Nothing wrong with the idea of it. Just accepting it as truth without evidence.

Especially when someone is claiming to speak for the universe, or God... eh?

We all know how badly that can turn out.

Absolutely wrong I agree. Without evidence, it's a horrible and dangerous belief.

Agreed. Hence, my response.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

That text of mine that you quoted says nothing bad about intelligence. I only said that high intelligence doesn't make us superior, but our inability to respect the earth as well as other animals probably do makes us inferior. So yeah.

I mean you can try to tell me what I am saying, but I know what I'm saying because i'm the one saying it. You're the one who doesn'tknow what i'm saying.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

but by the universes standards, it seems to me that greatness isn't determined by how much you know, but by how well you can love and appreciate

But what you fail to realize, is that animals are not capable of LOVE and APPRECIATION.
edit on 28-1-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

You're an idiot.
edit on 28-1-2013 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

I'm done talking to you.
edit on 28-1-2013 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Nightaudit

Just because I said that humans are inferior doesn't make me hateful.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

That text of mine that you quoted says nothing bad about intelligence. I only said that high intelligence doesn't make us superior, but our inability to respect the earth as well as other animals probably do makes us inferior. So yeah.

Inferior to what?

And in what respect?

You started this thread to bash on intelligence and knowledge.

You claim that humans are inferior because of knowledge and intelligence.

I mean you can try to tell me what I am saying, but I know what I'm saying because i'm the one saying it. You're the one who doesn'tknow what i'm saying.

I know what you are saying, because I can read, and parse.

You're an idiot.

This is false.

I'm done talking to you.

HAHAHA.... this is also false.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Just because I said that humans are inferior doesn't make me hateful.

Yes it does.

You claimed that humans are inferior.... just in general... you never qualified your statement, and thus it is as transparent as it is hateful.

You hate humans, as you hate their dual gifts of intelligence and knowledge.

Something tells me that this is merely envy on their part, and that you are trying to deify or exalt those properties that you see yourself as having in abundance in relation to other people, to justify some awkward sense of superiority that you posses.

I for one state that humans are a superior species to all of the other animals on the planet, because we are better at surviving.

Which, if you have been paying attention to the world for the last few million years, is the only thing that "Mother Nature" seems to care about.

But remember... you are done talking to me... remember?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by SpearMint

Humans have a much greater capacity for love than any other animal on Earth

I am willing to wager that doesn't resonate with the countless animals sent to concentration camps for food production, the ones sent to science labs for vivisection, or the ones skinned for clothing.

Just trying to be real

The other end of the scale doesn't really matter, I'm talking about the capacity for love, nothing else comes close. No other animal can display cruelty like we can, they don't have the opportunities to. Humans show both extremes but that doesn't take anything away from my point.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join