It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lincoln (The Film)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The new film release "Lincoln" is based on one of America's hero's Abraham Lincoln. However the lead role of Lincoln is played by an Englishman Daniel Day-Lewis. How do Americans feel about this? Should a portrayal of Lincoln have been played by an American actor or are you ok with it being played by a foreigner?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

I was actually amazed by Daniel Day Lewis in this movie. Ever since he played Bill the Butcher in The Gangs of New York I have become a HUGE fan of his work.

In the case of this particular movie I felt his portrayal was amazing, but the movie itself was a bit slow.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Who cares as long as the actor/actress does a great job in the part, nationalism is for prideful fools.

By the way, most boring movie I think I have ever seen. I went into a coma, then my coma went into a coma. I could hear my cells dying half way through the movie. I think that movie even causes depression.

Don't watch it if you actually want to be entertained in any manner whatsoever.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Oh thanks for that because I was considering it even though I heard it was slow. But a double coma? No thanks. Too bad because he is an amazing actor.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I avoided coma state by constantly finding myself having trouble believing that it was Daniel Day Lewis playing Lincoln. Every few minutes I ended up really staring at his face or eyes just to reassure myself that it was, indeed, him playing the role.

As far as acting goes... when you're that damned good? It makes it worth watching just on that merit alone. At least IMO.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 1007532013

For what it's worth, I thought it was really good. I was never bored. It is a long movie that's all people talking and the plot revolves around trying to pass a law, but I found it engaging. It's personal preference. It's a movie about Abraham Lincoln, you pretty much know what you're going to get into. Plus, there's so many known actors in it, you'll spend a good amount of time going, "Who is that guy?"

An Ol' D-Day does an amazing job. I don't care that he's not American, he was the right man for the job.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

It calls for DVD then. If I can pause at will, then I can see a great performance without any suffering. Wish I' d known that about L e Mis but saw it on opening day. Too late.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SaulGoodman

I saw an interview the other day where they said another actor had that part and split for creative differences. Can' t for the life of me remember who it was! Obviously turned out for the best. Thanks for the review. DVD for me.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Im not American but... after I watched Gangs of new york... I had to watch a bunch of other movies with Daniel day lewis in them..... There will be blood was another movie where he played a similar character to the butcher. Though It was a slow movie he completely owned his part...

I'd watch any movie with him in it now...

Can't wait to see this one too

He is an amazing actor!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
It's almost slow enough to punch a hole in space/time.
My soul was trying to escape my body & return to Hell during the film.
I think it gave me cancer of the snoring.
I was hoping to get abducted & eaten by the reptilians 15 hours into it.

I can go all night with these reviews.

Daniel and most of the cast did a fine job, but even the best acting with a very slow & boring plot should NOT get nominated for Academy awards as soon as the pen touches the paper to write the screen play, which was the case obviously here.
Then a middle finger to the audience at the very end, perfect ending.

edit on 26-1-2013 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Anthony Hopkins played Nixon. Great actors for great parts. That's all that matters.

new topics

top topics

join