It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP Interview: CERN chief sees certainty on 'God particle' by summer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angelic Resurrection

Originally posted by TheProphetMark
Forgive my ignorance but can somebody explain in laymen's term what Higgs Boson is really all about and what it means please. Thank you.
edit on 26-1-2013 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

The original defn according to Chris Hill is
It is a particle that make othe rparticles Feel their mass.
Now whether it will be found. i seriously doubt it

It's already been found. They are still working the data to make sure they were right. So prepared to be seriously doubted.
edit on 27-1-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark
Forgive my ignorance but can somebody explain in laymen's term what Higgs Boson is really all about and what it means please. Thank you.
edit on 26-1-2013 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

In layman's terms ... we have NO idea why mass exists. So they theorized a particle was responsible for it, the Higgs Boson. They believe they have found it and are still working the data.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

i bet that if you wanted to "catch" the higgs boson you would have to build an particle accelerator long enough to go all around reality. i think its just impossible..

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Last year's announcement of discovering the Higgs-Boson was really a media-driven version of premature ejaculation. That isn't to say they haven't discovered it...just that it'll take a while before they are able to announce it as a fact.

What they apparently found looked like a Higgs-Boson, acted like a Higgs-Boson and metaphorically quacked like a Higgs-Boson. But this is science and all the data has to be analysed and conclusions and inferences agreed upon before sticking a label on it and defining it as a Higgs-Boson. The Higgs-Boson is the only theoretical particle that doesn't rotate in any direction and I guess that's possibly where the confirmation might be focused?

What they might have discovered is an unexpected particle that's 'Higgs-like' and they have to consider that too.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

Thank you for caring. I am fine

Its been on and off for years so kinda can handle it and its kinda cool because of what I am shown or what am I told.

~Alienmindflare~

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

It's already been found. They are still working the data to make sure they were right. So prepared to be seriously doubted.
edit on 27-1-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

Good to be sure, but dont hold your breath on it though.
Its sure to fizzle out

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

People like you are a disgrace to ATS, posting in threads with the intention of being rude to another member.

I asked because Wikiledia was too long, hense the laymen's term. Not only that, but maybe there are others on ATS who would like to know what it means in laymen's terms thus saving them the time and trouble of googling for the shortest yet simple answer.

Unlike you, somebody was nice enough to post a simple answer rather then bashing other members of ATS. If you don't have anything nice to say to people on ATS, do yourself a favor and don't say anything at all next time.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I think its infinitely pointless, although I too enjoy discovering what everything is made of.

Once they discover the God particle, they'll then say that too is made of smaller stuff, which in turn is made of smaller stuff......ad infinitum.

Personally, I think there is no end.....so the God particle is a drop in the bucket

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
to the people who got mad at my post why don't you do a search on ATS and see for yourself how many times they almost found it or found it lol then if I'm still wrong come back on here and talk crap

top topics

<< 1   >>

join