It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP Interview: CERN chief sees certainty on 'God particle' by summer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

AP Interview: CERN chief sees certainty on 'God particle' by summer

www.washingtonpost.com

DAVOS, Switzerland — The world should know with certainty by the middle of this year whether a subatomic particle discovered by scientists is a long-sought Higgs boson, the head of the world’s largest atom smasher said Saturday
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
hi all sry if this has been posted

I dont know alot about this stuff, I thought they allready confirmed this. But I dont know

Rolf Heuer, director of the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, said he is confident that “towards the middle of the year, we will be there.” By then, he said reams of data from the $10 billion Large Hadron Collider on the Swiss-French border near Geneva should have been assessed

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

en.wikipedia.org...

The Higgs boson or Higgs particle is an elementary particle predicted almost 50 years ago to exist by the Standard Model of particle physics. In 2012 a previously unknown boson was discovered; its properties are still being studied in 2013 to confirm whether or not it is the Higgs boson.[6][7] Proof that the Higgs boson exists would be monumental[8][9] since it would finally prove the existence of the Higgs field,[10][11] the Standard Model's explanation of why some fundamental particles have mass when 'naive' theory says they should be massless, and - linked to this - why the weak force has a much shorter range than the electromagnetic force. Its discovery would validate the final unconfirmed part of the Standard Model, guide other theories and discoveries in particle physics, and – as with other fundamental discoveries of the past – potentially over time lead to developments in "new" physics,[12] and new technology

edit on 26-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Yeah I thought it was confirmed last year?
Either way, very exciting times!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Forgive my ignorance but can somebody explain in laymen's term what Higgs Boson is really all about and what it means please. Thank you.
edit on 26-1-2013 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

I would like to hear it in english too lol

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by samuel1990

I was just reading that then I added it to op

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark
Forgive my ignorance but can somebody explain in laymen's term what Higgs Boson is really all about and what it means please. Thank you.
edit on 26-1-2013 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

The original defn according to Chris Hill is
It is a particle that make othe rparticles Feel their mass.
Now whether it will be found. i seriously doubt it

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

CERN does this everytime they run out of funding lol you can expect them to find it next year and the next and the next lol

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

I bet they run out funding fast at $10billion

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by samuel1990
Yeah I thought it was confirmed last year?

I think that was more like a hooray-for-our-side rally.

edit on 26-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I don't know much either about this but its something Ive recently been saying ( during a manic period which led to rehab)

So to my understanding the scientists are hoping to find a part of the particle that will make up the whole mass this year? and they found part last year that was unknown and are testing it?

~Alienmindflare~

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy
reply to post by goou111

CERN does this everytime they run out of funding lol you can expect them to find it next year and the next and the next lol

You beat me to it digital....while I support science and the exploration of matter, this seems like a "trial balloon" by CERN saying "We are almost there, just need a little more money...."

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark

In the age of broadband, Google and Wikipedia, I can't fathom the reasons that drove you to ask this question on ATS. Too lazy to type?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

reply to post by goou111

So you know CERN that well? Can you wear a pin or something, so that I can wave hello next time I see you in the cafeteria? Seriously, dude.

What every time? Care to give another example? CERN has a stellar record of advanced research in particle physics and while they do need publicity to help get funding, it's ridiculous to speculate that there is some nefarious plan regarding the discovery statement and all. People are working their @sses off, and all you can contribute is "lol".

Duh.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
reply to post by digital01anarchy

I bet they run out funding fast at $10billion

I bet you know nothing about how these projects are structured and financed.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

dang did someone p**s in your corrnflakes?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
reply to post by buddhasystem

dang did someone p**s in your corrnflakes?

Got ya!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Alienmindflare

Good God are you ok now.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

reply to post by goou111

Really? How many times? Were they wrong those other times? Please enlighten us with your wisdom.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join