It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear British people, wake up!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I think it's a very healthy obsession considering the history of both America and Britain is plagued with either tyrant Kings or corrupt politicians. To be honest, I care not about how a hypothetical situation would be dealt with, rather, and more importantly, that Brits would not accept such a power grab as they did so easily with their gun grab. What exactly is the line in the sand for Brits?
edit on 27-1-2013 by Heisenberg59 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by region331
I think most people are aware that the IRA from the 1970s onwards, were basically drug-dealing gangsters. They seem to have had good PR in the US though.
edit on 27-1-2013 by region331 because: additional comment

I gave a star for that, although it was a bit singular. I think you should dwell on that, then you will realise that much greater influences than local schisms, made the opportunity for opening the doors to the drug trade, or anything else that made money from afar.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Because sometimes people have an opinion even when it's based on a subject that they might not know everything about. I've read every post in this thread and all I've seen you do is complain and moan about how ignorant everyone is. I beg you, ever enlightened Master Yoda, share your wealth of knowledge.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Heisenberg59

Help us out a little. Specifically which post-Interregnum, tyrant monarch are you thinking of?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
this thread really should be dedicated to those who can neither read nor process information. not that they would be aware of it.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by region331

I believe you're asking post English civil war? As an American, I'd think the answer here would be obvious. King George the 3rd. And I think a lot of Americans think of that man when we think about the UK... at least those that understand history. That's not to say that oh I hate all British people simply that Americans will always have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to British royalty.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heisenberg59

I think it's a very healthy obsession considering the history of both America and Britain is plagued with either tyrant Kings or corrupt politicians. To be honest, I care not about how a hypothetical situation would be dealt with, rather, and more importantly, that Brits would not accept such a power grab as they did so easily with their gun grab. What exactly is the line in the sand for Brits?

The last tyrant king we had was Charles I. He had his head cut off. The next one who tried to impose his will on us was James II. He ended up in exile. We've had a Constitutional Monarchy ever since, with Parliament in charge. The chance of any Royal being that stupid ever again is vanishingly small.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Really? Because all I've seen are people spouting the same nonsense over and over while dodging the question the thread actually asks. Yes, we know, the queen has no power. So if people don't accept this line, that seems to have been drilled into the minds of Brits since birth, we're unable to read or process information? Yes, let's insult others, that's real mature.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

reply to post by skalla

Really? Because all I've seen are people spouting the same nonsense over and over while dodging the question the thread actually asks. Yes, we know, the queen has no power. So if people don't accept this line, that seems to have been drilled into the minds of Brits since birth, we're unable to read or process information? Yes, let's insult others, that's real mature.

We keep telling you the same thing - that the monarch is now a largely ceremonial role with no actual power - but you keep repeating yourself. There's no chance of a king or queen being allowed to get their hands back on the levers of power.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

And I keep telling you that Hitler didn't give a damn about rules or laws while throwing Jews in the gas chambers. Have all the commandments you want, they have never and will never stop tyrants.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I think it's a very healthy obsession

No obsession is healthy.

that Brits would not accept such a power grab

We never have done in the past so why would we now?

as they did so easily with their gun grab

And which gun grab was that?

What exactly is the line in the sand for Brits?

If a ruling monarch ever tried to unduly influence the governing of this country without the express approval of the people then I would actively support the removal of that monarch.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

reply to post by KilgoreTrout

I want someone to answer the question of how a tyrant King can be stopped with a disarmed UK that is moving away from the EU. I don't need to be told I'm a stupid American and I don't understand. Just answer the question.

I would like to ask what would happen to the Commonwealth nations under British rule if your example of a tyrant king was to happen ?
Here in Australia, we are under the Commonwealth, and i was wondering what ramifications it would have in countries like Australia, Canada etc ? We had our gun laws brought in after the Port Arthur shooting, and ever since then its been a clear path for our useless politicians to strip whatever right they want, as long as its done subtley enough for the majority not to notice. We would be just as helpless as British in our response, and thats why i ask what would happen to Commonwealth nations if a tyrant king appointed himself ?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AussieDingus

Well I do think that if this did ever happen, the United States would not stand there watching. I think it's clear that the US would defend Canada, Australia and the UK as well from any attack and I think the majority of Americans would agree with that stance.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Good, then we are in agreement.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by g146541

But on the brighter side, I'm sure there are still some IRA types who can train the people how to defeat a superior military!

What, murdering, terrorist, scumbag racketeers who won nothing and achieved nothing except exploit and terrorise their own communities using terror and extortionism?

They defeated nobody.

One man's terrorist is anothers freedom fighter.
You seem to know who the IRA are yet you claim they achieved nothing.
They stood if only for a while against one of the worlds most tyrannical governments, and turncoats from their own country as well.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

You know absolutely nothing about them - I have no intention of derailing this thread into a debate about the IRA etc, I have made my feelings quite clear about them - feel free to start a thread on those scumbags and I'll gladly contribute.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   

It would probably explain why the Australian government wants more US military bases on Australian soil ?

And i wonder what China think about the US stepping in considering how much they have invested in our land and natural resources?

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Gun grab? ROFL.

Why do so many Americans think that we don't have guns? Guns are perfectly legal in the UK, with the sole exception of handguns. You want shotguns? Can have as many as you want. Want long guns? Can have as many as you want. Providing of course, you don't have a criminal record.

But you know what? 99% of Brits don't actually WANT them.

We don't need a gun hanging from our hips, to make a woman look down and say "My, what a big piece you have.", our natural tools are perfectly aduequate for that job.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
I have no real feelings towards the royal family myself (its a great waste of tax money),

As I have said before, not in this thread mind you, the Royals cost nothing to the taxpayer. Only the Queen and her Consort get any kind of money via the Government, but this is a proportion of the income from the Crown Estate, not taxation.

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
and frankly pity them given the life they are tied to from birth, i mean think about it, they have no life of their own sure its lavish and they'll never want but damn its a 24/7 job with no real say in what they get to do with it and no real power beyond shaping public opinion, and anyone with a loud enough voice can do that.

Indeed. Aside from living in relative luxury, they have almost no free will to just pop out or do what they want. They, in effect, prisoners of the state, especially the higher ranked ones. Nothing can be done without ministerial approval...

And we worry about our rights being infringed by them.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

reply to post by region331

I believe you're asking post English civil war? As an American, I'd think the answer here would be obvious. King George the 3rd. And I think a lot of Americans think of that man when we think about the UK... at least those that understand history. That's not to say that oh I hate all British people simply that Americans will always have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to British royalty.

George III was never the Tyrant as made out in your history books. Parliament was largely running the show by 1776, not the King. He just became the poster boy for your rich landowners to revolt under the pretence of "freedom", despite enjoying marginal support amongst the colonists..... What you are taught in the US about history largely ignores historical fact over romanticism and legend, such as the myth you guys "won" the War of 1812....

reply to post by AngryCymraeg

And I keep telling you that Hitler didn't give a damn about rules or laws while throwing Jews in the gas chambers. Have all the commandments you want, they have never and will never stop tyrants.

And I have asked "with what Army"? Its no good the Monarch just declaring they are taking power back without any kind of support.

Originally posted by g146541
One man's terrorist is anothers freedom fighter.
You seem to know who the IRA are yet you claim they achieved nothing.
They stood if only for a while against one of the worlds most tyrannical governments, and turncoats from their own country as well.

Get over yourself. At best, the IRA had only minority support and achieved nothing from 30 years of bombing. All that has happened since is the return to home rule that was already present in NI with a massive majority, even amongst the Catholic community, to remain part of the UK.

"One of the worlds most tyrannical Governments"? You clearly don't have a fudging clue what you're talking about.

I have restrained myself, having been on the receiving end of IRA actions more than once.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join