It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear British people, wake up!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I'm no fan of the Royals and would do away with them in a heart beat. Replace with a republic and constitution voted on by the people. I'm just not a fan of the outdated monarchy. Just my opinion though.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I'm no fan of the Royals and would do away with them in a heart beat. Replace with a republic and constitution voted on by the people. I'm just not a fan of the outdated monarchy. Just my opinion though.

The problem would be who we elect as President. Can you imagine Tony Blair standing?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Good thread, OP.
I too feel the British people should take some time from their tea and address a few situations.

First off, you guys need to protect your heritage and stand up against the muslin patrol squads. (this would never happen in America btw)
Muslim gangs inforce sharia law in Britian

I know you guys are a little softer than we Americans but I think you can handle it.

The second thing you should do is give all power back to the monarchy, the queen can't possibly mess things up any worse than you guys have.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg

The problem would be who we elect as President. Can you imagine Tony Blair standing?

Why use tony Blair as the straw man. It's tired. Don't you trust the people to come up with a constitution and vote for someone other than Tony Blair. At least we could vote them out if they failed to respect the constitution I recommend.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by thatonedude
Good thread, OP.
I too feel the British people should take some time from their tea and address a few situations.

First off, you guys need to protect your heritage and stand up against the muslin patrol squads. (this would never happen in America btw)
Muslim gangs inforce sharia law in Britian

I know you guys are a little softer than we Americans but I think you can handle it.

The second thing you should do is give all power back to the monarchy, the queen can't possibly mess things up any worse than you guys have.

Are you kidding? This s# happens In America daily and has done for years. Just rowdy dissrepectfull thugs on street corners claiming dominion through intimidation. A gang is a gang. This perticular gang is Muslim. You dont think they actualy patrol the streets do you? Like any other gang they would be too scared to venture out of their own territory. Then they grow up and out of it.
edit on 27-1-2013 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Why use tony Blair as the straw man. It's tired. Don't you trust the people to come up with a constitution and vote for someone other than Tony Blair. At least we could vote them out if they failed to respect the constitution I recommend.

I brought Blair up because the bloody man wants to stand for a higher position - he really does still think that he has a place in British politics. And there would be a temptation for the politicians to make the position of President a sinecure - something to be aimed for as a comfortable alternative to retirement. Jobs for the boys in other words.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Whoever put the thought of Liz as Dr Evil in my head deserves a pint on me

She is just a Mascot and a caretaker that's all.
We wouldn't let her or her sons take complete power, Kings have tried that before and we chopped off their head.
I met the Queen and Phil when she opened a Hospital wing in east London, Phil came in my pub and had a half a bitter.
They both seemed like they were happy to be out and about just like most old folk.

I could see Harry becoming an evil despot but I think he may do a good job as that, heck in fact he may get the country back on track

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Having read history all my long life, it seems to me that those counties with constitutional monarchs seem more stable than those with other types of heads of states.
As for the queen of England, all civil servants (government workers) including police and armed forces, swear allegiance to her, and she can disband parliament when she feels like it, (after taking advice from the prime minister)
in any case money has power, does it not?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   

I brought Blair up because the bloody man wants to stand for a higher position...

I've got a nice high position for him-
Hanging on a rope in Parliament Square.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heisenberg59
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

You're not getting it are you? That wasn't the question asked.

The question was, what happens when a King decides "to hell with law" and wants his true crown back? Who stops him?

I think, ignoring your lack of knowledge on the constitutional settlement in the UK, you should be asking this question:

"What happens if a King decides to hell with the law and want's his crown back? How is he going to take power?"

The Monarch may be the Head of the Armed forces, but it would take something quite special to get them to back an overthrow of Parliament and if that did ever come about, chances are the move would be supported by the People.

There was a good many people clamouring in 2008/09 for the Queen to dissolve parliament, but she did not. We came close to a Military coup in the 70's, but again it was the Royals who would not play ball as doing so would be seen to be undermining the democratic will.

Like it or not, but the Royals do seem to be on board with the whole democracy thing here and Charles isn't actually the nob he's made out to be in some quarters. He is a genuinely nice bloke.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Heisenberg59

The queen has very little power in british politics and even that little morsel of "power" she does have is in decline.

ALS

link   

The queen has very little power in british politics and even that little morsel of "power" she does have is in decline.

ALS

link   

ALS

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I agree to an extent, most people here don't really care enough, there's a few but by no means enough.

But recently I've had some unexpected peiople come out of the woodwork and say things I never thought they'd say or even cared about..people are waking up but it's happening too slowly. I want out of the EU because it goes against OUR constitution, powers given to a foreign dictatorship who we didn't elect, it's time people in the UK started to care about their constitution instead of telling foreign nations to forget theirs.

Now, on the flip side of that...I need to ask, at what point will the armed americans do what they claim they need their guns to do...i'e overthrow their tyrranical government, becuase that's what they are, we all know it. I'm unarmed but feel I need to act, it's real and eating away inside of me. A handful of unarmed people just isn't enough, and trying to convince people to open their eyes is a waste of time.

You have your guns, you have enough knowledge to know what's happening...so when does it begin? Do they have to start rounding citizens up and impose martial law before people take back what is rightfully theirs?

The guns are for protection - self preservations, it's not about the world stage or the endless inhumanities and attrocities being carried out all over the world in our names, it's about self preservation...currently, I'm alright so it doesn't matter - and that's the problem.

Another hate thread that's descended into childish bickering, that'll go down well when the people of this world unite and try to re-build the world for the better, in-house bickering and squabbling.

I appreciate your message, you're right - but people ain't just going to "wake up" out of the blue, it will take a movement of some kind, it will probably take bloodshed before people realise this is right on their doorstep and it's fight or roll over.

You have your guns,you have the proof you need and you know your government is actively trying to erode your freedoms...so put the money where the words pour out from and use those guns for what you claim you need them for...the time is now.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Well I am awake and very much watching what is going on. I do think the UK should be part of Europe but I think we do reseve the right to control our boarders. We have FAR too many immigrants entering this country. We are an island not a continent. Too many people and services like the NHS are falling apart. Never mind the problems of social integration and housing etc.

What I would like to see is something akin to the Australian system. If you want to come to the UK fine. But working on a points system and have the skills to be a useful member of society and pay taxes. I am sick and tired of people coming to my country and go straight onto benefits which I have to pay for out of MY hard earnt cash and then they make no effort to integrate or become part of our society. That is NOT on. Its my country. I was born here and so my rights should come first. Especially since I have been contributing to society by paying taxes and so on.

If we dont grow balls and tackle this then sadly yes my country will see Enoch Powell proved right after all.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The monarchy does the job the british constitutional arrangements require it to do. If we abolished it we'd have to elect somebody to be a figurehead instead. I really don't see the point of that. It would cause friction because the people with the motivation and funds to win an election would have some axe to grind. You would end up politicising the head of state. Not a good idea.

In the UK we don't elect a leader. We elect Members of Parliament (MP) based on their local popularity and on the Manifesto for government published by the party they belong to. It is the party that commands a majority in the house of parliament that forms the government. It is the party that decides exactly which MP will take ministerial roles in the government. The head of the party takes the role of PM. The PM can be removed by the party without a re-election being required.

The government can be brought down by a vote of no confidence in parliament which would trigger another general election. The government is accountable to the MPs in parliament and the MPs are accountable to the electorate.

In addition, the permanent civil service remains in place no matter who forms the government. It provides a certain inertia in the system. Its hard to make sweeping radical changes quickly in the UK and thats intentional in the way the system works.

The US system with its president confers more power into individual than the UK system does. It also allows the legislatures to get away with doing a crap job (or doing nothing) because there is another directly elected political guy they can blame it all on.

There are changes i would like to see in the UK but they do not involve a move to emulate a US system that is even more broken than ours.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

Constitutionally, the Monarch has a lot of power, but it is metered out to various Ministers as part of the Royal Prerogative. Her father excised far more of his rights as Monarch than Liz does, at least publicly.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heisenberg59
reply to post by skalla

Right and as I said, what happens when Liz is gone? The woman is old. Where does the crown go from there? And what prevents the crown from taking it's power back while the citizens are disarmed and the UK is no longer part of the EU?

She may be old, but that old dear is as fit as a fiddle !! The Queen Mom was what 102yo when she passed? Ole Liz has at least 20 years left i say.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I also agree with previous posters that Charles will hand it over to William, Charles messed up. William will be king
edit on 27-1-2013 by Tikitiboo because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-1-2013 by Tikitiboo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The UK monarchy has very little power and very little say...they absolutely do not rule! When you think you see UK royalty exercising power, all you are doing is observing traditional rituals, it's all part of the tourism, and the eccentricity of the UK's history and heritage.

The people's power of any country in the West, resides only in the elected government. The idea and concept of monarchy is an anachronism the world needs to shed like an outdated skin. Unfortunately, many British people love their quirky heritage, they like the display of pomp and old-time glorification, because it helps them to think (quite falsely) that the UK is still a leading player in the world...we're not. We're just a money launderer for other nations, and but for the financial part of the City of London, we pretty much would be have been left behind.

We're still good at some things. We have a very professional military, even for its small size. We are pretty good at entertaining people through music, drama, and literature, and we're not a bad tourist destination when we have good weather...plenty of history and mystery to soak up , but we are not a leading player in the world anymore...and most of us really do not give a damn! We are a very pragmatic and practical nation, full of common sense and make-do attitude.

There is still a belief in the old class system, and the current government has done its best to emphasize it by creating a greater divide between the haves and the have-nots. Most tories do believe that a person is born purposefully into a particular state and position in life, so if you are poor, you are meant to be so, and should not seek to attempt to raise yourself out of it, so plenty of obstacles are placed in your way just in case you happen to be born with a shrewd and thinking mind.

No future king or queen could ever take the throne by force, those days are long gone, and I hope to see the day when monarchy in Britain is entirely abolished, but it is a bit of a tourist money-spinner, so I doubt I will see it in my lifetime.

We certainly could be a leading nation. We have the capability to lead by example, but our tolerance on most things should not be confused with 'softness' or 'weakness', that is a vastly underestimating thought. We're an island nation with thousands of years of history, and have not been conquered militarily since 1066, and not for the want of trying by our local neighbours throughout the centuries. We are close to Europe, but do not consider ourselves European, with either its culture or mindsets...we are unique because we are an island nation and because of our history, and established (for all our sins) the largest empire the planet has ever seen...but those days are truly gone and fading from memory, except of course, from our traditions and tourism trade.

The truth is...every possible warning that could be sent to us here in the UK, could be returned in kind to all other nations, because each politic of each nation is being amalgamated into a one system global politic, so most common (or uncommon, if you prefer) peoples of all nations are in the same perilous boat.
edit on 27/1/13 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/1/13 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join