Liberals, Progressives, 'Leftists' and Guns

page: 1
14
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The Liberal Gun Club

Pink Pistols



Chris Cararra

An Anarchist Case Against Gun Control

Anarchists envision a society without government, a world where individual people, sometimes on their own and sometimes in cooperation with others, take care of themselves, their needs, their desires. One can expect that in such a libertarian society, with no restrictions on peoples freedom to engage in whatever non-coercive productive and commercial activities they choose, and the absence of oppressive political institutions and laws, there will be far fewer incidents of theft and physical attack than there are today. While changing the world to eliminate poverty and institutional violence may be the ultimate solution to the problem of violence and robbery, until that time non-coercive people need a means of defense against those who are not as peaceful as they are.

Most people now look to the armed forces of the government, whether police or military, for such protection. However, not only do police and military personnel do an abysmal job of protecting individuals, they are often themselves the perpetrators of coercive violence. In light of this, people need to look to themselves and their chosen communities for self-defense. Such a strategy of self-defense must include the freedom to own and use handguns without putting oneself at risk of arrest and/or violence by agents of the government.

Many states and cities in the United States have very restrictive laws against handgun ownership and use, under the pretext that such laws keep handguns out of the possession of violent aggressors. In fact, these statutes commonly do nothing of the sort. Their primary effect is to disarm peaceable individuals and leave them at the mercy both of hoods and cops. Aggressors, who are already violating various laws by killing, raping, robbing, etc, will not necessarily be deterred from using guns by criminalizing their use as well. If they were afraid of laws they would not be attacking other people to begin with. Gun control laws make the lives of human predators easier, by depriving their potential victims of an effective means of defense.

Anarchist Library

This is the typical stance Anarchists (extreme left) take on gun control, while I don't personally agree even though I find myself sharing the ideology, I thought it might do some people good to see a well written, commonly shared opinion from the Left.

I think it's about time to stop alienating based on ideologies.




posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
The Liberal Gun Club

Pink Pistols



Chris Cararra

An Anarchist Case Against Gun Control

Anarchists envision a society without government, a world where individual people, sometimes on their own and sometimes in cooperation with others, take care of themselves, their needs, their desires. One can expect that in such a libertarian society, with no restrictions on peoples freedom to engage in whatever non-coercive productive and commercial activities they choose, and the absence of oppressive political institutions and laws, there will be far fewer incidents of theft and physical attack than there are today. While changing the world to eliminate poverty and institutional violence may be the ultimate solution to the problem of violence and robbery, until that time non-coercive people need a means of defense against those who are not as peaceful as they are.

Most people now look to the armed forces of the government, whether police or military, for such protection. However, not only do police and military personnel do an abysmal job of protecting individuals, they are often themselves the perpetrators of coercive violence. In light of this, people need to look to themselves and their chosen communities for self-defense. Such a strategy of self-defense must include the freedom to own and use handguns without putting oneself at risk of arrest and/or violence by agents of the government.

Many states and cities in the United States have very restrictive laws against handgun ownership and use, under the pretext that such laws keep handguns out of the possession of violent aggressors. In fact, these statutes commonly do nothing of the sort. Their primary effect is to disarm peaceable individuals and leave them at the mercy both of hoods and cops. Aggressors, who are already violating various laws by killing, raping, robbing, etc, will not necessarily be deterred from using guns by criminalizing their use as well. If they were afraid of laws they would not be attacking other people to begin with. Gun control laws make the lives of human predators easier, by depriving their potential victims of an effective means of defense.

Anarchist Library

This is the typical stance Anarchists (extreme left) take on gun control, while I don't personally agree even though I find myself sharing the ideology, I thought it might do some people good to see a well written, commonly shared opinion from the Left.

I think it's about time to stop alienating based on ideologies.


I think that is a commonly shared opinion whether left or right. I haven't met one person that is OK with a ban on handguns or 'assault rifles' outright, but I have not met anyone who would vie for the possession of any and everything that has the potential to take a human life. Somewhere, All the people in my community (and friends from different states) draw the line, in essence, cutting off those extremes. I do wonder where the media finds these people though.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74
 


Unfortunately anarchism is not understood or appreciated on ATS.

Also. In respect to 'left' and 'progressive'. Anarchism absolutely does not share common ground with what most people associate with 'left' and 'progressive'. Meaning to say the left side of mainstream political parties.

Any ideology that challenges the current social structure as fundamentally as anarchism does, people will naturally take great offense. An assault on the king's soldiers is the same as an assault on the king himself. So to speak. The structure of our society, for many, is so intertwined with their identity any proposition to change it feels like a terrorist attack.

The source of the issue is poverty. And poverty is a necessary component of the class structure we embrace. Makes strides to eliminate poverty and we will see drastic changes in crime. A society that bridges the divide between classes, starts to look far more "left".



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I couldn't care less what one calls themselves as far as political titles goes.

Couldn't care less what they feel about guns.

Just leave our 2nd Amendment Rights ALONE!!!!

If folks dont like America or our Constitution, or guns, they are free to take the next flight out of here. Gun haters whether titled as Liberal, Progressive, or Leftist, you are free to leave.

edit on 26-1-2013 by ResistTreason because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ResistTreason
 


Um did you read the OP?
I'm pointing out that Liberals, Progressives, Leftists aren't ALL anti-gun.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by ResistTreason
 


Um did you read the OP?
I'm pointing out that Liberals, Progressives, Leftists aren't ALL anti-gun.


Affirmative.

I was adding to it.

I lean left myself many times. Just not when it comes to guns.
edit on 26-1-2013 by ResistTreason because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy
 



The source of the issue is poverty. And poverty is a necessary component of the class structure we embrace. Makes strides to eliminate poverty and we will see drastic changes in crime. A society that bridges the divide between classes, starts to look far more "left".


Sad that we can't discuss this without all the knee jerking.
Very well said, thank-you.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ResistTreason
 


By saying that Liberals, Progressives and Leftists can leave the country?
Why would you toss out anyone that supports gun rights?



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by ResistTreason
 


By saying that Liberals, Progressives and Leftists can leave the country?
Why would you toss out anyone that supports gun rights?


Said gun haters under those titles. Those titles because, the loudest squeak...

...gets the grease.

The Left squeaks the most on this topic, yes? And thats whats in the OP yes?
edit on 26-1-2013 by ResistTreason because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74
 


By and large 'liberals' want peace, love and enlightenment.
How that is seen as a bad thing....just blows my mind.

Cavemen fought with clubs and they died out.
Knights fought with swords and they died out.
Soldiers fight with guns and.............


Doing the same thing over & over again and expecting different results is, insanity!
It's time for a radial change.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I am not a fan of anarchy.
Sometimes it works somewhat and other times it just equals flat out oppression.
Look at Africa, it is ruled by evil men with guns, they are called warlords.
In a society with rules, there are consequences for doing stupid things and there are laws to protect the innocent.
I am not a fan of laws as I know right from wrong and practice what I preach, but it is better than anarchy I believe.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
This thread isn't about Anarchy or Liberalism or any ideology per se. It is about denying the constant ignorant statement being made on these forums and other Right Wing sites, that "all liberals and leftists hate guns and want to take them away".

I'm showing examples of the opposite. But apparently it is just too much to expect a logical conversation. All logic seems to fly out the window whenever anyone mentions certain words.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by ResistTreason
 


Um did you read the OP?
I'm pointing out that Liberals, Progressives, Leftists aren't ALL anti-gun.



Understood, problem is your pro-com leadership and mouthpieces are both pro-police state and anti-gun... and you all continue to support them.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker
 


and you all continue to support them.


Not every 'leftist' or 'progressive' supports the democrat platform....

Perhaps you can elaborate on what you mean.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
reply to post by Kali74
 


By and large 'liberals' want peace, love and enlightenment.
How that is seen as a bad thing....just blows my mind.

Cavemen fought with clubs and they died out.
Knights fought with swords and they died out.
Soldiers fight with guns and.............


Doing the same thing over & over again and expecting different results is, insanity!
It's time for a radial change.



Liberalism (from the Latin liberalis)[1] is a political philosophy or worldview founded on ideas of liberty and equality.[2] Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but generally they support ideas such as free and fair elections, civil rights, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, free trade, and private property.[3][4][5][6][7]


So, as a liberal . . . you believe in the all of the above, but you will infringe the rights of others (defense, private property) and open others to abuses of civil rights, free and fair elections, freedom of religion because there are those that don't share your ideals of utopia and ways to acheive it?

Doesn't sound too liberal to me . . . Without the 2nd there is nothing stopping the others from falling. Seeing has you like to look back through history, this should be evident.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy
 


Alright then show mean a "liberal progressive leftist" who does not support firearm licensing, and background checks,

They don't exist and before someone using "the regulation of thought crimes" and convict people of what the might do doesn't fly.

Since murder is illegal and their already is law agianst it that punishes the offender contrast gun regulation punishes those who have done nothing wrong.

Then there is that pesky little thing that for over 180 years Americans did not have to get background checks, and they did not have to get government permission to own a gun.

Like i said point a liberal,progressive,leftist who is not anti gun?

Oh they are gun rights under permission of what the government says.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by ResistTreason
 


Um did you read the OP?
I'm pointing out that Liberals, Progressives, Leftists aren't ALL anti-gun.


Quick point one out never seen one,


Right here . . . Seriously, could the freedom loving pro-2nd crowd on here include liberals? I'm not talking about the social-liberals, Progressives, and Leftists, or whatever, that call themselves Democrats and Liberals in our government or the media. I'm talking about true liberals . . . those that believe in liberty, equality, justice, individuals rights, and self-governance. You know what this administration calls Anti-Federalist Domestic Terrorists?



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by solomons path
 


Support background checks and firearms licensing?

Inquiring minds want to know.





top topics
 
14
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join