It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80 degrees in January is NOT okay with me

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Its been very cold here in Joshua Tree CA about 19 degrees during the night, and even broke the water pipe which has never happened. So far its been very cold colder then I remember, just not so many days in a row. Seems pretty normal here maybe even colder then usual for Dec & Jan.
edit on 26-1-2013 by desertguy because: during the night

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

Typical hyperbole from another person who thinks the weather started when they were born...and then tries to politicize the issue...Look it up Copernicus. What famous OIL COMPANY is Al Gore the major financial stakeholder...His family is making BILLIONS off the non-existent AGW crapola...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I appreciate your taking a moment to clarify that. It does put your statements and general approach in context and that's a positive thing in how I say it, not negative. I may still disagree with you, but heck...intelligent people can hold polar opposite opinions.

I know as I'm sure you do ..and perhaps better than I by the sound of it, that many many well educated and experienced people are working this whole question from a number of angles. Perhaps we'll both get the answers in a definitive way within a reasonable time frame, given those efforts. (It sounds like you don't need more but people like me must annoy to no end..lol..so answers would help quiet us down)

In a way, man made climate change is actually a far better outcome to prove than what I suspect we're actually seeing in the majority of it. Man made can be mitigated, controlled and eventually halted if not reversed. If it's a product of natural cycle and solar influence, then we're powerless and the natural record shows our planet having experienced what would be 'end of the world' changes within what geology would call recent times.

Of course, nothing is the actual end of the world. The Planet's still here and life still thrives. Co2 is Oxygen for plants, after all.

It's the end if OUR particular species finds the new temperature ranges intolerable tho, eh? 130 Degrees in the Middle Eastern sun is only..what? A quirk of planetary orbits and physics from being 160 degree or 180 degree day?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Once again I agree with you. The factors involved are IMHO beyond quantifying. In part, this is due to the tremendous number of factors involved in the equation. The solutions are currently more reactive, than proactive. Moving entire populations will be much easier than finding the actual cause. The "Tipping Point" has likely been reached. How long our environment remains tolerable for humans and our food production is a guess and nothing more. The exact causes we may never know.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Its cold as a witches snatch here in NC. I don't know if Global Warming is real or not. I'm not sure this isn't part of a natural cycle or not. I don't think there is much we can do anyway to be honest.

V

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Well here in VA it's usually in the 50's but it's been in the 20's. This summer will be hotter than the last, but that is because of the peak of the solar cycle, not because of my SUV

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

It has indeed been that warm during the winter time in Texas before. As a child I can remember at least every third Christmas being able to play outside with my new Christmas toys wearing nothing but a pair of cut offs and a short sleeved tee shirt. Same goes for the month of January. One year it can be below freezing and the next year a week or two of temperatures in the 70s or 80s. It's been like that my whole life (I am 46) and for my dad's whole life (he is 66).

As far as drought, my corner of the state wasn't part of the drought this year- in fact rainfall has been overly abundant. That also is normal for Texas- depending on what part of the state you live in. Mowing the yard in January isn't fun, but it's part of the package and some years it's just necessary.

South central Texas in January. Some years in the pool, some years it snows and some years we have these delicious mid-70' s temps. So much better than the gray stuff. It is Texas after all. It' s been this way my whole life too. Now the drought is another matter. It' s hellish. Around August it' s so hot and scorched, I want to move every single year. Never do though. A friend of mine moved to Michigan for just that reason and she is not liking the winters.
edit on 26-1-2013 by 1007532013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
It's been on the warm side here in west Texas. I love the cold weather, but we haven't had enough of it for my liking. However, I have a funny feeling that this is a lull before we get slapped hard by artic air in February. After that....I think spring will start early, and it's going to be a rough one.

I cannot give you any scientific reason as to why I think this is so, it is only my feeling, as I watch the weather all day, every day.

I don't like the warm temps this time of year, I don't like the bees waking up and getting into the house, and I certainly do no like having to watch for scorpions on the floor at night (can never go barefoot, EVER)....but I hate violent weather and having to worry about whether or not to get into the tornado shelter in the backyard even worse.

It's coming, too. I can feel it.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Having lived in Texas my whole life, 70-80° days in January happens once in a while, then it plummets 30-40° the next day! I mean, weather in Texas is worse than women trying on clothes. The only exception is Summer time where HOT is constant, which I might add applies to both the women and the climate

Anyway, what I've learned is that a cold winter does not necessarily equate to a cold summer or visa versa. They sometimes feel like they do because the fall, spring, and winter on occasion mesh together forming Summer and FallingWintersSpring. That being said, Summer clothes are a permanent fixture in my closet year round.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
8 degrees F here in Eastern PA this morning. I could use a bit of Al Gore's promised global warming. Oh, that's right, it's climate change now, since most everyone in temperate areas figured out that they still have to pay to HEAT THEIR HOMES!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Today it's going to be in the 70's but for several days now it's been in the 80's. Never in my life do I recall it being this warm in January which is usually one of the coldest months here in Texas. It should be in the 50's.

80's is normal for Miami Florida this time of year.
Heck 80's is kinda cool for miami.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

If you want to feel cold please come visit Chicago where we have been having some below 0 weather with the wind chill.... Maybe its warm by you, but by us its brrrrrrr cold freezing...

Hahaha I have several clients visiting this week from Chicago and they were all complaining that it was colder here in Arizona!

We have had about a week and a half of record and near record cold.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I'm in Colorado at about 7000 ft above sea level. Its been so dry I had to water yesterday, oddly enough my wife and I were sitting outside last night around midnight. We had to open the umbrella on the deck as it was raining. It was 49 degrees and honestly felt like spring. JANUARY, IN THE FOOTHILLS IN COLOARDO?!
Don't get me wrong, I hate cold/snow but I also understand the importance here on the continental divide....hopefully something big changes or we can see a drought that would AT LEAST cause food prices to soar.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

well, were cold as hell in ontario, sooo....... yea.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
80 degress is perfect weather no matter what time of year.

/thread

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I live in Dallas Texas, 200 miles North of the op. We're having a very average winter. I wish we were having the one he's having.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
cold here in south england

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Someone has to say it, so I guess it'll be me. Liberals never know when they've got it good. That's the nature of a liberal.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

thank you!, sanity.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join