It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80 degrees in January is NOT okay with me

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
it's unusually cold in other places because of climate change. i do realize that sometimes the weather can be odd and that has happened since the beginning of time. however, "weird" is the new norm.

there are some people left on ATS that know climate change is real and it's not because of the sun.

i also really don't understand any of the "so what" comments. even if you don't believe humans have caused climate change most people believe something is happening and even if it was because of the sun we can't just dismiss it. we don't have time to adapt and we have too many people on the planet now.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

So point out where I am wrong then?? And I have done my research by reading studies from both camps.
I bet you on the other hand did your research by reading mainstream news.

I guess reading the actual studies, looking back at past history, debating with actual scientists is not basic research to you??

edit on 26-1-2013 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

There are thousands of scientists out there who disagree with the so called consensus.

OMG you can't be serious, there are people who still think the earth is flat, there are people who think the earth is 6000 years old, there are people who think evolution is fake. According to your logic, since they disagree with the consensus, it must be fake. it's been proven time and time again that climate change is happening and us humans have a part in it. All this climate change is made up crap is nothing more the politicians making noise trying to be all "anti", and you know what, even if it wasn't man made, should we just stick our heads in the sand and wait for the next diaster to happen and not prepare for the worst, I know you whats happening around the planet.

For the those who say people just want to make money of this I say of course they do, we do live in a capitalist society, its no different alex jones telling you need to buy gold from his affiliates, but that does not make the claim untrue.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae
Today it's going to be in the 70's but for several days now it's been in the 80's. Never in my life do I recall it being this warm in January which is usually one of the coldest months here in Texas. It should be in the 50's.

I'm hoping this doesn't mean the summer will be another record breaker. We are also still in a severe drought which means continued water rationing.

The Koch brothers have done so well with their $61M funding of climate change denial.

www.greenpeace.org...

The media never even talks about climate change anymore. It's too late to turn things around now. I worry about the cost of storm clean up that will continue to increase. I worry about crops not making it and food costs getting higher and higher. We're going to be in for a wild ride.

All the people who think Al Gore has some sort of superhuman ability to mind control the scientists so he can make some money..... you've been duped. It's the Koch brothers who are the conspiracy to save their gazillions of dollars. Not Al Gore.

I'll send you a thousand lbs of snow for a couple of days of that 70 degree weather.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Climate Change is undeniable at this point. If you don't see that humans have had a huge effect on the planet then IMHO you fit in the same category of brilliant scholars as Birthers. You have an incredible ability to deny the truth with all the evidence right in front of you.

That being said, Climate changes have been happening forever and will continue to happen. Just look at how many Atlantis type cities are under 400ft. of water. Many tribes used to be nomadic to not just chase the food, but to chase the weather. We have no idea how many times the sea levels have risen and fallen again.

Here in the USA we only have a couple of hundred of years of accurate records. We built tons of cities right on the coastlines. We did this ignoring the tiny fact that there are tons of ruins under the sea....

To sum it up? We stupid. The Koch Brothers personify evil.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

it's unusually cold in other places because of climate change. i do realize that sometimes the weather can be odd and that has happened since the beginning of time. however, "weird" is the new norm.

there are some people left on ATS that know climate change is real and it's not because of the sun.

i also really don't understand any of the "so what" comments. even if you don't believe humans have caused climate change most people believe something is happening and even if it was because of the sun we can't just dismiss it. we don't have time to adapt and we have too many people on the planet now.

Another brainwashing victim i see.. Since when was the climate ever static?? It has always changed and always will as long as we have an atmosphere and oceans. The global warming theory and models actually predicted that most of the warming would come here in northern europe and scandinavia. It is only now that we started having these coldwaves that they changed their theory to also cover those. I and others had predicted this change in weather YEARS before it happened as we already knew that there was a strong link between solar activity and weather patterns/jet streams.
And what did happen after a few years of low solar activity?? The jet streams and pressure in arctic started moving in OPPOSITE direction of what they predicted which is exactly as us skeptics predicted would happen.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Climate change is real. It is the same as their first stupid name for it "Global Warming" but that first name was not thought over well by scientists. Climate change is a lot better suited name for what is happening.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I'm hoping this doesn't mean the summer will be another record breaker.

It probably will be. Up here it's very cold and we just aren't getting the snow we need. The drought will continue.

People need to face it... industrial society is a failed experiment. We can't make it far enough technologically to endure, but we can make it far enough to screw-up. We can't make it far enough psychologically to evolve, but we can make it far enough to see how bad we screwed up. Well, except for people in denial of course. The only reason I can see for someone to deny climate change is greed or weak-minded denial.

/shrug

edit on 26-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
Climate Change is undeniable at this point. If you don't see that humans have had a huge effect on the planet then IMHO you fit in the same category of brilliant scholars as Birthers. You have an incredible ability to deny the truth with all the evidence right in front of you.

That being said, Climate changes have been happening forever and will continue to happen. Just look at how many Atlantis type cities are under 400ft. of water. Many tribes used to be nomadic to not just chase the food, but to chase the weather. We have no idea how many times the sea levels have risen and fallen again.

Here in the USA we only have a couple of hundred of years of accurate records. We built tons of cities right on the coastlines. We did this ignoring the tiny fact that there are tons of ruins under the sea....

No one has denied that temperature has been increasing over the last decades. But why do YOU ignore the past warming periods that happened before we started pumping co2 into the atmosphere??
The current warming period is not unusual at all when you compare it to past warming cycles.
How exactly can you be so sure it is us humans that is that is the cause when you had such warming cycles naturally?? Why could it not be the giant ball of fire in the sky when we had the biggest and longest lasting grand solar maximum in over 8000 years??
And btw we have pretty damn good clue on sea level rises and drops. This happens during every shift from glacial to interglacial and vice versa which comes and goes like clockwork thanks to the milankovich cycles"orbital changes"

Even though i am a skeptic i still care about envirionment. What we should focus on in instead is toxic waste, overfishing/trawlers, deforestation and so on. These issues are way bigger than co2 which is a natural gas that is REQUIRED by life. Calling co2 pollution is like calling oxygen and water for pollution.
This hysteria around co2 has now taken away all attention from the real envirionmental issues of this world.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Why is it "climate change" now and not "global warming? Because it is a Convenient Truth for the snake-oil salesman. Global warming couldn't be proven on a colder than average day, insert the phrase climate change and a whole new breed of Chicken Littles are born.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by primus2012
Why is it "climate change" now and not "global warming? Because it is a Convenient Truth for the snake-oil salesman. Global warming couldn't be proven on a colder than average day, insert the phrase climate change and a whole new breed of Chicken Littles are born.

And sadly the people in this very forum proves that it worked. The sheep believes anything when it is told by a "expert" even though it contradicts what these so called "experts" claimed in the past.
But good to see that some people here are awake enough to see through the brainwashing.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

What do the Koch brothers have to do with Planetary cycles?? They may be rich..but hey, so is George Soros. Money doesn't make a God and that's what they'd have to be. This whole thing is absurd.

If climate change by computer model is so accurate and "settled science" please, link just *ONE* ....just a SINGLE example of a computer generated climate prediction with real dates back to when it was made for doom and gloom or even noticeable climate impact ...which turned out to actually happen? Really, I'm dead serious. ONE will do.

Google has the date selection tool that will force limit this back as many years as you'd care to go, so finding predictions made in the 90's for what bad things we'd see by 2010 and now isn't hard to find. It's an ACCURATE one I'd love to see in negative, measurable and confirmed changes outside pure statistical variation.

I was doing work for my geography course last night when I stumbled across maps compiled by explorers using the Imperial Library at Constantinople that showed the Antarctic coastline ,,in detail. Now that alone is remarkable for a map written hundreds of years ago, going by source material dating back before that. You know what stopped my breath and just about made me fall out of my chair? It was showing the LAND COASTLINE. Not the ICE one.

Explain that one....as I still can't and may do a thread on all this next week after talking to my Department head at the college about this. It's one of those brain freeze moments, to say the very least. By what we know of dates, climate and age of observable data? That map shouldn't exist. It shouldn't be possible for that time period...Ice OR Land in accurate detail.

We don't know squat about the VERY complex environment around us and to even play like we do and start initiating policy of changes to "counter" what isn't even proven to exist yet could have TERMINAL effects down the road after being proven wrong. I'd just like to KNOW we're right before making irrevocable and possible catastrophic moves to the generations that come after us.

edit on 26-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

But why do YOU ignore the past warming periods that happened before we started pumping co2 into the atmosphere??

I would recommend learning to carefully read a post before responding to it. I clearly pointed out that there have been many sea level changes throughout time. Hence cities under 400ft. of water. This cycle of warming has been a combination of natural and man made factors. To think people did nothing to help along Global Climate Change is simply a case of ignoring everything scientists much smarter than yourself know.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

There is also that big ball of fire in the sky which seems to have a vote that counts over everything else when it wants to.

And THIS is the real answer, to it all.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
As others have pointed out, there are areas of very cold also. It appears we may not experiencing warming so much as global weather change.

Ask yourself ..... could this climate shift be taking place in response to the government's weather modification program? Chemtrails are being reported pretty much across the globe. The leader of one country has repeatedly stated that his country's rain has been stolen. I believe him. This is covert warfare.

Governments are putting such massive quantities of contamination in the atmosphere (aluminum, barium, etc), would it be any wonder that global weather patterns are disrupted? Given the overt criminality of western governments, can you look someone in the face and tell them your "trust the government"?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The fact is that the powers that be do not care about global warming. If they did, they would quickly see that allowing China to manufacture virtually everything is making it 100 times worse. They either don't care or they think all the pollution China pumps out goes straight into space. We could set EPA standards back to 1990 standards and have far less pollution since China has no EPA and could not care less about pollution. They could even impose a carbon tax on goods coming into the US and lower pollution levels. This would bring manufacturing jobs back to America where we have better regulation. So, they obviously don't care about global warming. Lots of talk, no action. At least no common sense action.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

But why do YOU ignore the past warming periods that happened before we started pumping co2 into the atmosphere??

I would recommend learning to carefully read a post before responding to it. I clearly pointed out that there have been many sea level changes throughout time. Hence cities under 400ft. of water. This cycle of warming has been a combination of natural and man made factors. To think people did nothing to help along Global Climate Change is simply a case of ignoring everything scientists much smarter than yourself know.

So how the heck do you know how much of that warming is due to humans then?? History suggest that whatever warming we have contributed to is so insignificant that is entirely dwarfed by the natural cycles.
I do believe co2 has some effect but it is just not strong enough to make a significant impact.

And scientists who focus on just one puzzle piece while ignoring the rest are not very smart. This is exactly how most climate scientists behave. If we want real science we need scientists with different skills working together including geologists.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Just thousands of years ago, the Sahara desert was allegedly green and lush. If it was just now starting to become dry, activists would be blaming that on carbon emissions, too.

Source

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I don't believe you are giving enough credit to geological processes when speaking of "sea level changes". The earth undergoes both sudden, drastic changes and more slowly evolving processes that can raise or lower the level of the land itself. Tectonic subsidence and post-glacial rebound are very important factors to consider when discussing sea levels.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamCorrect
Just thousands of years ago, the Sahara desert was allegedly green and lush. If it was just now starting to become dry, activists would be blaming that on carbon emissions, too.

Source

It was green and lush - at the time of the last Ice Age, around 10,000 years ago. Massively different climate conditions.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join