Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

80 degrees in January is NOT okay with me

page: 1
17
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Today it's going to be in the 70's but for several days now it's been in the 80's. Never in my life do I recall it being this warm in January which is usually one of the coldest months here in Texas. It should be in the 50's.

I'm hoping this doesn't mean the summer will be another record breaker. We are also still in a severe drought which means continued water rationing.

The Koch brothers have done so well with their $61M funding of climate change denial.

www.greenpeace.org...

The media never even talks about climate change anymore. It's too late to turn things around now. I worry about the cost of storm clean up that will continue to increase. I worry about crops not making it and food costs getting higher and higher. We're going to be in for a wild ride.

All the people who think Al Gore has some sort of superhuman ability to mind control the scientists so he can make some money..... you've been duped. It's the Koch brothers who are the conspiracy to save their gazillions of dollars. Not Al Gore.



+31 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The climate has been changing since it started.
You can blame whoever you want.

But, don't fool yourself into thinking there was ever anything anyone could ever do to stop or "turn it around"
It's called Nature, and humans have no say in the matter.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae
 

And here in europe it has been colder than normal for years in a row now.
Just because it is hot in your area does not mean it is like that everywhere.
In fact it can most likely be explained by the change in jet stream which also is what has given europe very cold winters lately.

Anthropogenic global warming is as much as scam as it always was. Global tepmeratures have been pretty much flat for a decade now, even though according to global warming theory it should have increased.
Nearly all of the warming can entirely be explained by sun activity if you look at how EVERY warming and cooling period in the past coincidenced with change in solar activity. We have now since 60s had the most active sun in over 8000 years and yet the global temperatures are nowhere near as high as they were in early holocene/interglacial period which makes this current warming period of no significance.
If you go back further in time you will see that there is absolutely no real connection between increased levels of co2 and higher temperatures. Instead it seems that it is temperature that modulates co2 levels as co2 lags a century or so BEHIND TEMPERATURES. And we have also had periods with co2 levels being in THOUSANDS OF PPM range and yet we had ice ages hitting when the planet should have been frying according to the hoax.

Here is the temperatures for the entire holocene period:

As you can see absolutely nothing unusual when you take into the account the extreme solar activity during last decades.
You can also see that cooling and warming cycles last longer than the 30 years they use as proof of global warming.
Not only do they use such a short period, but they even cherry pick the period they use as "normal" so they can get the numbers they want. 30 years is nothing more than weather when you look at the cycles in the long term trend.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that even during periods when earth had significantly higher temps than now does not meant it was hotter. In fact fossils and ice core studies show that equator regions were actually a little bit less hot than today and that most of the warming took place in high latitudes and winter. This means that climate was more stable and had less variation depending on latitude and season.
It is during cold periods that there are extremes both cold and warm which is the real threat to human and animal life.
There was a period where you even had sub tropical temperatures and fauna at 80~ degrees north but yet it was still liveable in the equator regions.
The only threat from global warming is rising sea levels which happens so slowly that we can easily prepare.
edit on 26-1-2013 by juleol because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae
 




All the people who think Al Gore has some sort of superhuman ability to mind control the scientists so he can make some money..... you've been duped. It's the Koch brothers who are the conspiracy to save their gazillions of dollars. Not Al Gore.


Well, quite.

Every single scientific community in the world now accepts that anthropogenic global warming is a reality.

Only the American Association of Petroleum Geologists disagree.

Go figure...



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae
 

I'd respect people like Gore a BIT more if he lived anything remotely like he preached...and if he didn't stand to gain SO much in direct personal benefit through things like the Climate Exchange scams. Trading credits with a lesser company in pollution so a big one can pollute as normal isn't changing anything but the net worth of those taking a share of the trading of those silly credits.

I'm not sure if it's global warming, cooling or just general haywire mode here. I do know that there are plenty of headlines about record winters and record cold as well as record highs. Of course, we've got but a few hundred years of recording on a planet a with a few billion years of history and clear evidence of RADICALLY different climates where we each live, regardless of where that may be and not SO long ago as to say it's irrelevant, IMO.

There is also that big ball of fire in the sky which seems to have a vote that counts over everything else when it wants to.
edit on 26-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Yep, 75 down here in South Texas.. Sure its usually in the 50s or so in Jan but ive seen it like this before as well.
Hell, in 04 it snowed here, on christmas no less.. It hadnt snowed here in decades prior to that.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CJCrawley
reply to post by pasiphae
 




All the people who think Al Gore has some sort of superhuman ability to mind control the scientists so he can make some money..... you've been duped. It's the Koch brothers who are the conspiracy to save their gazillions of dollars. Not Al Gore.


Well, quite.

Every single scientific community in the world now accepts that anthropogenic global warming is a reality.

Only the American Association of Petroleum Geologists disagree.

Go figure...

Which shows you have been brainwashed. And of course most scientific communities accept that as they only get funding for proving global warming. This is what happens when politics invades science.
Human induced global warming only exist in flawed computer models that has yet to predict anything right.
Those models have been proven wrong again and again and all that happens is that they just tweak their theory and models.
Now they have even gone so far to say that ANY CHANGE in climate is sign of global warming even if it is cold.
There are thousands of scientists out there who disagree with the so called consensus. But you wont be hearing about that in the controlled mainstream media. There are even plenty of scientists that were once pro warmists who have now changed their mind.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Yep, 75 down here in South Texas.. Sure its usually in the 50s or so in Jan but ive seen it like this before as well.
Hell, in 04 it snowed here, on christmas no less.. It hadnt snowed here in decades prior to that.

Which shows how most people have really short memory span these days. All you need is one or two cold winters and they completely forget about the warm ones.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Agree with the OP 100%!

It's been 75-78 degrees here in South Texas for a week...bees are out and about and I eliminated a scorpion the other day which I'm normally "exempt" from for a couple more months...

Trees and plants are trying to blossom and show signs of green...it's "off" and rather unsettling if you've been observant for the past several years and definatey not "normal."

Everyone is super sick too, flus and virus infections are rampant!



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae
Today it's going to be in the 70's but for several days now it's been in the 80's. Never in my life do I recall it being this warm in January which is usually one of the coldest months here in Texas. It should be in the 50's.


So what? Other states have been having particularly 'cold' weather the last two weeks.

You can find newspaper reports about record breaking heat from January in Texas from the 1800's too, if you care to look.

edit on 26-1-2013 by IamCorrect because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
We're having normal winter weather here in Western Kentucky.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Yep, 75 down here in South Texas.. Sure its usually in the 50s or so in Jan but ive seen it like this before as well.
Hell, in 04 it snowed here, on christmas no less.. It hadnt snowed here in decades prior to that.


Here, it's noon, 70 degrees and rising.

I remember the Christmas eve snow we had in '04. A surprise. Got pics somewhere...



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
By the way... for anyone not aware of this, I mention it both in relation to the topic but also as a very important warning. There is a large area of the nation about to be hit by an Ice Storm. The Ice Storm of 2007 which hit areas of the Midwest was crippling and they are predicting up to a 1/2 inch of ice produced by freezing rain from Central Missouri to Michigan through tomorrow night, into Monday. Winter has been weird this year but it's not over by a long shot.



If anyone is short on supplies, now is the time to get them, IMO. Few here took warnings just like this sounds very seriously in '07 ... MANY suffered far more than they should have for it. Just my contribution for something important,



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae
 


Life is about constant change. I don't know why people get so freaked out. The change in our weather is happening. It hasn't happened. It takes time and we're going to eventually probably end up with two seasons, cold and hot.
Nature will still abide with the four-seasons; birth, growth, harvest and death.... and it will all work out and nature will adapt only.... they're not whining about it.

Keep whining and you'll get ONLY Monsanto foods on your table starting soon! So I suggest you not complain anymore because 'they' will have a solution before long and before it's even necessary. Trust nature. Not man!



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic
Agree with the OP 100%!

It's been 75-78 degrees here in South Texas for a week...bees are out and about and I eliminated a scorpion the other day which I'm normally "exempt" from for a couple more months...

Trees and plants are trying to blossom and show signs of green...it's "off" and rather unsettling if you've been observant for the past several years and definatey not "normal."

Everyone is super sick too, flus and virus infections are rampant!

And back in 1998 we had signs of greening here in middle of Norway already in february. This is a place located right south of arctic circle which is way more impressive than a bit of heat in southern texas.
It proves nothing... You were just lucky/unlucky enough to have some warm weather.
Meanwhile the global temperatures are only 0.2c above normal.... Usually when one region have a heatwave another region have a coldwave so a bit of local heat does not tell you anything.
This graph shows the current temperatures here:

As you can see we have had two weeks in a row now with temperatures WAY BELOW normal.
The average temps for last month ended up being a whole 3.4c below normal which is unusually cold.
But I guess only Texas matters to you?
edit on 26-1-2013 by juleol because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It'll go back to normal. We had a 60° winter in Buffalo last year. It only got cold enough to snow like twice all winter.

This winter we're back to normal. All this week it's been single digit temperatures. Today it's a balmy 20°!



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae
 


If you want to feel cold please come visit Chicago where we have been having some below 0 weather with the wind chill.... Maybe its warm by you, but by us its brrrrrrr cold freezing...



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Here are some permanent headlines at the No #e Sherlock Weather Desk:

It's Warm and Humid in Miami.
It's Wet in Seattle.
It's Cold In the Midwest.
It's Warm and Dry in Texas.

In other words, don't panic.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
reply to post by pasiphae
 

And here in europe it has been colder than normal for years in a row now.
Just because it is hot in your area does not mean it is like that everywhere.
In fact it can most likely be explained by the change in jet stream which also is what has given europe very cold winters lately.

Anthropogenic global warming is as much as scam as it always was. Global tepmeratures have been pretty much flat for a decade now, even though according to global warming theory it should have increased.
Nearly all of the warming can entirely be explained by sun activity if you look at how EVERY warming and cooling period in the past coincidenced with change in solar activity. We have now since 60s had the most active sun in over 8000 years and yet the global temperatures are nowhere near as high as they were in early holocene/interglacial period which makes this current warming period of no significance.
If you go back further in time you will see that there is absolutely no real connection between increased levels of co2 and higher temperatures. Instead it seems that it is temperature that modulates co2 levels as co2 lags a century or so BEHIND TEMPERATURES. And we have also had periods with co2 levels being in THOUSANDS OF PPM range and yet we had ice ages hitting when the planet should have been frying according to the hoax.

Here is the temperatures for the entire holocene period:

As you can see absolutely nothing unusual when you take into the account the extreme solar activity during last decades.
You can also see that cooling and warming cycles last longer than the 30 years they use as proof of global warming.
Not only do they use such a short period, but they even cherry pick the period they use as "normal" so they can get the numbers they want. 30 years is nothing more than weather when you look at the cycles in the long term trend.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that even during periods when earth had significantly higher temps than now does not meant it was hotter. In fact fossils and ice core studies show that equator regions were actually a little bit less hot than today and that most of the warming took place in high latitudes and winter. This means that climate was more stable and had less variation depending on latitude and season.
It is during cold periods that there are extremes both cold and warm which is the real threat to human and animal life.
There was a period where you even had sub tropical temperatures and fauna at 80~ degrees north but yet it was still liveable in the equator regions.
The only threat from global warming is rising sea levels which happens so slowly that we can easily prepare.
edit on 26-1-2013 by juleol because: (no reason given)


No. Please, please do some basic resaerch on this - you are very wrong.



posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae
 
It has indeed been that warm during the winter time in Texas before. As a child I can remember at least every third Christmas being able to play outside with my new Christmas toys wearing nothing but a pair of cut offs and a short sleeved tee shirt. Same goes for the month of January. One year it can be below freezing and the next year a week or two of temperatures in the 70s or 80s. It's been like that my whole life (I am 46) and for my dad's whole life (he is 66).

As far as drought, my corner of the state wasn't part of the drought this year- in fact rainfall has been overly abundant. That also is normal for Texas- depending on what part of the state you live in. Mowing the yard in January isn't fun, but it's part of the package and some years it's just necessary.





new topics

top topics



 
17
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join