It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This old man has nothing to do with Jesus

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by Leuan

True, i was wrong, the catholic church has been slandered and they apollogized for their misdeeds. They should be put upon a pedestal in all honesty.

The OP was pointing to the Popes lavish ceremonial clothing and ornaments... while contrasting it with Jesus' simple way of life.

To point out only the Catholic churches wealth while ignoring the lavishness of non-Catholic churches, such as the megachurches I posted about earlier.. is a double standard.

Again, I apologize for even inquiring if you were a shi'tte. Take care.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SimonPeter

You're perfectly correct, there are things science does not know but that does not mean that "god did it".

Is that the really lazy answer you use yourself.

I appreciate the dislike of a singularity, I feel the same, but what would your god be if he existed if not a singularity. Otherwise he would have a creator.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I guess the catholics believe that old Ratzinger saves their soul. He must be a god or at least the god of their club . I guess he trumps Jesus in their minds . Oh well you got him I will take Jesus .

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonPeter
I guess the catholics believe that old Ratzinger saves their soul. He must be a god or at least the god of their club . I guess he trumps Jesus in their minds . Oh well you got him I will take Jesus .

Instead of guessing, why don't you actually do some research? That's probably too much to ask, so I'll just supply you with the answer. Catholics believe that the Pope is fallible, is a flawed human and needs the saving grace of Christ our Savior as much as anyone else.

Catholics do not believe that the Pope can save anyone's soul. Catholics don't believe that anyone can 'trump Jesus'.

Does that help?

Eric

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I don't consider a bash any of my comments. I don't know neither if you are referring to my posts.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by EricD

The ruling that was handed down some time ago , maybe before you were born was that the Pope was infallible . It caused quite a stir . And that the Pope had the power to forgive sin . Billy Graham is probably the biggest Evangelist of the Century but he has never said anything but let me lead you to Jesus . He didn't say I am the Holiest man or the representative for Jesus . He wore a coat and tie most of the time when he preached . There was no long ceremony and then a small message and he was certainly not perfect .
Being a Catholic I'm sure , have you actually read your bible in total and does it agree with the KJV bible .
The Catholics believe what the Protestants believe that was derived from the bible and Jesus but they have added their own tradition from the early church that ruled with an iron fist . That early church was a draconian organisation with as much blood on its hands as Islam today The Bible being the single source for Christianity had nothing to do with the horror that papacy put on the world .The Scrolls and Teaneck and later the Gospel of Jesus are the only source for the Catholic church to be in existence today . How did all the extra ceremonial garb and hierarchy get to be so big in the Vatican . The Pope has been implied to be God on earth or taking the place of Jesus on earth although not official and not refuted .
Other cults have bestowed God like deity to their leaders also claiming a special connection to God himself .

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

reply to post by EricD

The ruling that was handed down some time ago , maybe before you were born was that the Pope was infallible . It caused quite a stir . And that the Pope had the power to forgive sin .

Boy, the clue meter is really reading zero over at the "SimonPeter" house, eh?

The Pope being "infallible" is under extremely specific circumstances, and only relates to Catholic doctrine -- if you're not Catholic, it has nothing to do with you. It doesn't mean that he's perfect, it just means that, for a Catholic, there are times that what he says not only isn't wrong, but can't be wrong.

This has been used a grand total of... (drumroll, please, SimonPeter...) two times in 2,000 years. Wow. Mindblowing.

And no one says that the Pope "has the power to forgive sin". He, like all Catholic priests, has the ability to absolve you of your sin, but only God (by Catholic doctrine) can actually forgive it.

Any other misconceptions you'd like clarified?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Absolve ? verses forgive ?
With Jesus Christ why do you need any type of an intercessor ? That is Jesus's job .Any why do you need a Pope . Is he considered to be a deity?
But forget I asked because it is apparent that the Pope is the most important thing in Catholism .

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

I probably shouldn't be engaging with someone that debates like a 12 year old who snickers over their own juvenile wit when the call the Pope the 'POOP'.

For anyone else that is curious about Catholics, Catholicism or the teachings of the Church; the center of Catholicism is God. Not the Pope, not the Magesterium and not your local Priest.

If you are interested in actually looking into what Catholics actually believe, I'd recommend reading the catechism of the Catholic Church. It's free to anyone who'd like to take a look.

www.vatican.va...

Eric

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by EricD

I'm retired sonny boy and I am Christian , following Jesus not a church tradition that has to interperet the bible for me their way .
Most lame brains who know nothing about christianity thinks the Vatican represents us . With all the Cardinals and Bishops in the news lately for the usual complaint we don't appreciate it .

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Absolve ? verses forgive ?
With Jesus Christ why do you need any type of an intercessor ? That is Jesus's job .

If that's the case, why is this in the Bible? Is it not in your copy?

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (James 5:16 KJV)

What is described there is exactly what happens in confession.

Any why do you need a Pope .

He's the leader of the church. Most non-Congregationalist religions (Congregationalists are those which allow local pastors to determine what is correct theology, mostly the Baptists,) have such heads of the church.

Is he considered to be a deity?

For about the millionth time, no. No one considers the Pope to be a deity, nor on a par with Jesus, nor anything other than a guy who leads the church and has the authority associated with that office.

But forget I asked because it is apparent that the Pope is the most important thing in Catholism .

That is a lie, as has been demonstrated to you repeatedly. Is lying not a sin in your version of Christianity?
edit on 1-2-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
So the OP is right ; this old man has nothing to do with Jesus .

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

So the OP is right ; this old man has nothing to do with Jesus .

How have you come to that conclusion? And, as it is wrong, both you and the OP are judging someone's faith for superficial reasons, and you, at least, are lying about it as well.

You're judgmental, hypocritical and a liar, to boot. Is it any wonder that non-Christians take such a dim view of Christianity?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Look at the News . There is a dim view being crafted as we speak . One of the Catholic Cardinals has finally been removed from his duties .And still has not been admonished by the church . How many times has he been moved because of sexual misconduct allegations before now ? But now that it has been made public and legal actions come forth .Still the Vatican will protect him instead of the victims . Filthy Rags . How could I trump that ?
Still if you follow Jesus you can get past all that .

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

If you follow Jesus? Like this guy? The MSM and others would have you believe that religious crises are the sole domain of the Catholic Church. It seems no one alerts the media when something like that happens outside of it.

Also, your statement implies that the Catholic Church does not follow Jesus.

I wonder, in all seriousness, please, absolutely no snark intended, have you actually spoken with a practicing Catholic? I don't mean one confirmed as a child and only goes on Christmas and Easter, I mean one that still actively practices and lives their faith.

Lots of folks seem to get their information third hand, or from Hollywood or YouTube videos, and really haven't genuinely studied (not just attend Mass once in a while) Catholicism.

But I agree, the world does paint a dim view of Christianity indeed.
edit on 2/6/2013 by IsidoreOfSeville because: Edited for clarity

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by IsidoreOfSeville

I would like to talk to a real Catholic . The ones I know are special holiday Catholics . We have some of the same Baptist . If a true Catholic brand Christian reads his bible then he can't actually go with everything that the denomination puts forth . And then he of course wouldn't be Catholic , they would be just plain old Christian .
I can imagine you standing before Jesus and he ask what are you . Then you say I'm a Catholic or Baptist . I could imagine Jesus saying hand me the golden scepter , and instead of handing it to you he clubbed your noggin , then says go to the back of the line and think about it .

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Do you follow your bible to the letter?

If so how many non-believers have you killed recently?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

reply to post by IsidoreOfSeville

I would like to talk to a real Catholic . The ones I know are special holiday Catholics . We have some of the same Baptist . If a true Catholic brand Christian reads his bible then he can't actually go with everything that the denomination puts forth . And then he of course wouldn't be Catholic , they would be just plain old Christian .
I can imagine you standing before Jesus and he ask what are you . Then you say I'm a Catholic or Baptist . I could imagine Jesus saying hand me the golden scepter , and instead of handing it to you he clubbed your noggin , then says go to the back of the line and think about it .

Yeah see that's a division I see all the time. Anyone could go to a Christian book store, and one would see a "Catholic" section and a "Christian" section. Cracks me up really.

I do believe nowadays, the Church is getting away from saying "Protestant." Now it uses "separated brethren" and I think that fits better, as by our baptism we are all a part of the one body of Christ.

Anywho, this is only my two cents.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I'm most disturbed by the pope having bodyguards. Like it was mentioned earlier, it shows his complete lack of faith. If you are trying to lead a world religion, you should not be hiring people to protect you. This is just showing his followers that their "god" doesn't protect them and is in fact incapable of protecting anybody.

I'm not saying that the pope stands for all catholics. I know a few who are nice people and don't need bodyguards. Even though they don't agree with everything I believe, they trust that their "god" will protect them.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join