It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This old man has nothing to do with Jesus

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
First thing you must know, I'm christian. That means this is not another bashing thread against christians. I don't want to go on a theological discussion neither, actually want to keep it simple.

I believe in Jesus and think his life is an example to follow in all the aspects, the only man I know that didn't make mistakes in my opinion (doesn't need to be yours). More than one of these aspects are exposed here :

History suggests that Jesus would have worn the same clothes as the ordinary people of His day. He would have worn plain linens, comfortable long robes with a sash to tuck the garment in when He ran. He would have worn simple sandals on His feet. Jesus was from a poor background and His clothes would have been plain and ordinary.

www.jesuscentral.com...

Now there is this guy claiming authority given to him from the same source :

As I understood, Jesus had no gold rings and expensive clothes. Instead of bodyguards, he has angels under his command but never needed to call them for personal proteccion. Jesus walked without aid and crossed deserts.

If I try to get close to the Pope, those men with black suits will take me down and beat me before I say "God".

Jesus spent most of his time between regular people like me, it was easy to just walk to Him offering a peace of bread, He will probably would eat it and say thanks.

I find more humility in a clown.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

well, he's not jesus is he.

Why would you want to get close to that stinky old codger anyway?

Weird...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This man may be the proper Bishop of Rome, but the office of Pope (the "Vicar of Christ") is an overreach. All founded on Peter, who may, or may not, have ever been in Rome.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
That's what happens when you institutionalize mysticism. Jesus was a mystic... bureaucrats and theologians aren't.

edit on 26-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
reply to post by Trueman

Why would you want to get close to that stinky old codger anyway?

Oh man!....I would ask him to read this thread, join as a member and post a reply to it.

Then he will be all yours......muahaha!!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
That's what happens when you institutionalize mysticism. Jesus was a mystic... bureaucrats and theologians aren't.

edit on 26-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

The way I once heard it: You don't have to understand it, just believe it!

What is a mystic, anyway?
edit on 26-1-2013 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

As my title says, he got nothing to do with Jesus.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
This man may be the proper Bishop of Rome, but the office of Pope (the "Vicar of Christ") is an overreach. All founded on Peter, who may, or may not, have ever been in Rome.

All that bureaucracy made me dizzy, I guess that's their purpose.
edit on 26-1-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Why do you think the Pope is Jesus, or at least needs to act exactly as he did?

Jesus, for most of his life, was an obscure person in a backwater part of the Roman Empire. Once he began to "get famous", he did have people around him for protection, from being crushed by a sea of humanity, if nothing else, and in the end, when his friends and followers deserted him, he was killed by his enemies.

The Pope, on the other hand, is a world leader, the head of a church of over one billion people, and is hated by probably as many others, including, apparently, several people in this thread. Even with bodyguards, Pope John Paul II barely survived an assassination attempt in 1981, so is it any wonder that you'd be "taken down" if you ran after him like a crazy man?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

I never said that. I think you missed it. He is suppose to follow the example given, that's all.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

I never said that. I think you missed it. He is suppose to follow the example given, that's all.

Do you think that's realistic, given his circumstances?

And, as for his lifestyle, Journalist chronicles a day in the life of Pope Benedict describes it as being mostly one of prayer (like all other clergy, he's required to pray the Liturgy of the Hours) meetings, and reading and writing. Hardly "the high life" you're claiming it to be.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

And, as for his lifestyle, Journalist chronicles a day in the life of Pope Benedict describes it as being mostly one of prayer (like all other clergy, he's required to pray the Liturgy of the Hours) meetings, and reading and writing. Hardly "the high life" you're claiming it to be.

I do. You have a photo here. Do you think it's photoshopped or CGI ?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

BTW OP: The first picture in your OP isn't Jesus either...
In my opinion, Jesus would have had short hair due to Jewish tradition, but the long hair is a cemented part of symbolism that is apparent in all paintings and portraits of Jesus.

I try and not to judge the pope but my disdain for organized religion is really brimming the top right now.

Are you really rationalizing the lifestyle of the Pope, Adjenson? If so, try to push that boulder uphill harder because you aren't really breaking any ground here.

Hardly "the high life" you're claiming it to be

At 1:30 p.m. the Holy Father has lunch with his two secretaries. Rarely do they ever have a guest, and the menu is usually Mediterranean. Benedict XVI never drinks wine, always orange juice, Valli says.

www.catholicnewsagency.com...

After lunch the Holy Father enjoys a short walk for no longer than 10 minutes together with his secretaries around the balconies of the Apostolic Palace “adorned with lemon and orange trees and that provide a splendid view of Rome.”

www.catholicnewsagency.com...

A man that reads, writes, and prays is surely to be living the frugal lifestyle. I don't see how an income would be provided for a man that does not produce goods, so that leads me to question, how does he live such a swanky lifestyle if he doesn't have an income because he does not provide any goods?

Oh yeah... a 10% tithing from each family would provide for his lifesetyle.

Let's not delude ourselves, the pope lives a swanky lifestyle with his golden crown embedded with countless jewels. I will be more surprised if he doesn't have a Pimp Cup.

Sure the man may be good, but if he was really good, he would destroy the stupid little city state, hand it back over to the Italians, sell the art,give back to the world the church has stolen from, and apologize for its dark history. I don't see that and by fault, he perpetuates the flaws of the church.
edit on 26-1-2013 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DelayedChristmas

BTW OP: The first picture in your OP isn't Jesus either...
In my opinion, Jesus would have had short hair due to Jewish tradition, but the long hair is a cemented part of symbolism that is apparent in all paintings and portraits of Jesus.

In my opinion, this is a picture of the "Essene" Jesus. The Essenes wore long hair, white clothing and participated in the assemblies of angels in their daily rituals, which accounts for the wings Jesus is wearing.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DelayedChristmas
Let's not delude ourselves, the pope lives a swanky lifestyle with his golden crown embedded with countless jewels.

Seriously, you think he wears all that stuff 24/7? It's ceremonial, and he doesn't own any of it.

This is what he normally wears, that ostentatious so-and-so. Well, actually, it kinda looks like OP's picture of Jesus' clothes, so maybe it's not too bad.

Again, he's a world leader and runs a church with a billion members, and you want to fault him for having a private lunch with his staff and having some citrus trees outside his apartment? Are you demented?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

What wings?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DelayedChristmas
Let's not delude ourselves, the pope lives a swanky lifestyle with his golden crown embedded with countless jewels.

Seriously, you think he wears all that stuff 24/7? It's ceremonial, and he doesn't own any of it.

This is what he normally wears, that ostentatious so-and-so. Well, actually, it kinda looks like OP's picture of Jesus' clothes, so maybe it's not too bad.

Again, he's a world leader and runs a church with a billion members, and you want to fault him for having a private lunch with his staff and having some citrus trees outside his apartment? Are you demented?

Am I the demented one or the ones that profess to be Christians are?

Stop deluding yourself, he lives a relatively comfortable lifestyle; a lifestyle more comfortable than the thousands and millions and billions of men and women who earnestly struggle every single day just to get by. Another thing, he doesn't live in an apartment LOL. Can you say in your life you can stroll around lemon and orange trees after a nice Mediterranean lunch every single day?

You say he is a world leader and runs a church with a billion members... That's a very high position in society! That's a very high number of followers! Wow billions of Christians! But wait, there are millions of people starving. But wait, there's lots of treasured art in the church that could solve that issue! So we have a billion+ Christians and billions of dollars worth of wealth and we still have poverty and famine in the 21st centuries. Seems like the world leader is one of the leaders of the way the world is today. Really speaks volumes about the papacy without saying much.

SOMETHING DOESN'T ADD UP!

And if you critically analysed what I wrote, you would understand that sentence is a hyperbole.

Stop it with the ad hominem; they aren't serving you any good.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Well, calling me crazy won't change the truth. This old man lives like a king.

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- When he was elected last April, Pope Benedict XVI inherited the papal apartment on the top floor of the Apostolic Palace, but it wasn't until Christmas that the pope could really call it home.

The apartment, about 10 rooms in all, underwent a three-month renovation this fall. Electrical wiring was replaced, new pipes were installed, the kitchen was refurbished and a custom-fitted private library was put in place.

It was "Extreme Makeover: Vatican Edition." And while the pope didn't whoop or jump up and down at the unveiling, he made it clear he was pleased with the results.

"I can only admire the things you've done, like these beautiful floors," he told the more than 200 architects, engineers and workers involved in the remodeling project.

www.catholicnews.com...

If you pay attention, I'm using catholic sources.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

reply to post by adjensen

Well, calling me crazy won't change the truth. This old man lives like a king.

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- When he was elected last April, Pope Benedict XVI inherited the papal apartment on the top floor of the Apostolic Palace, but it wasn't until Christmas that the pope could really call it home.

The apartment, about 10 rooms in all, underwent a three-month renovation this fall. Electrical wiring was replaced, new pipes were installed, the kitchen was refurbished and a custom-fitted private library was put in place.

It was "Extreme Makeover: Vatican Edition." And while the pope didn't whoop or jump up and down at the unveiling, he made it clear he was pleased with the results.

"I can only admire the things you've done, like these beautiful floors," he told the more than 200 architects, engineers and workers involved in the remodeling project.

www.catholicnews.com...

If you pay attention, I'm using catholic sources.

He's not calling you crazy, Adjenson was directing his insults at me, as he usually does when interacting with me. And it's usually the same insults that have something to do with my supposed lower intelligence.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
That dudes fruit is rotten and it doesn't get any better from there.
On the other hand the humble one you speak of is near.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join