It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photo: The Milky Way Over Mount Rainier

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I'm amazed it stopped raining long enough for him to see the stars.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
Is the light strip of stars in the middle the ecliptic plane?

S&F
Yes it is.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Picture perfect. Thanks for the post!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I can only guess how many shooting stars you could see in the day where the only lights sources were just the sun the night sky and the occasional neanderthal campfire.

Now-a-days its mind blowing to think how much light we use. I have 43 lights in my house. 43!!! what the F. How lucky can we be. It makes me want to go into politics and put an end to the BS.

Thank you, I love astrology.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Funny how we use the word 'mountain' to describe things that are vast and large. This picture is amazing in that it puts it all into perspective. Very humbling.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Fantastic picture. So beautiful and almost mystical in nature. I can understand why Native Americans and other cultures always gave so much attention to the sky....so many folks nowadays rarely look up. I live on the edge of the city limits and the light pollution totally ruins skywatching. I used to live out in the country and always set aside some time to sky watch and I truly miss that now. I lived near Mt. Rainier for a while...Spanaway, near Ft. Lewis and tho I loved looking at the mountain, I totally missed out on sky watching back then. Wish I would have done it there. Thanx for sharing a great view/pic!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MmmPie
Looks like I'll have to make a short drive to Eastern WA this summer!

Umm Western Wa. Over here south of Seattle we consider Eastern Washington Spokane.
I'm curious how he was in the National Park after sunset.
Photographer's David Morrow's website
I just pulled my Canon out of storage today wanting to do shot's like this. And me being just northwest of Rainier is starting to get ideas of my summer to do list..

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
Is the light strip of stars in the middle the ecliptic plane?

The fact you have to ask saddens me. That is the Milky Way .. which can no longer be seen in most of America.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku
cooool. a good reminder to go outside once in a while huh.

actually it looks way better on my computer screen than real life, i'm gonna stay here.

That's because in real life we can no longer see it unless we are in very specific parts of the world due to light pollution.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

actually it looks way better on my computer screen than real life, i'm gonna stay here.

That's because in real life we can no longer see it unless we are in very specific parts of the world due to light pollution.

That and because the photographer used a 30 second delay (open shutter). It captured 30 seconds of light not visible by normal eyes. Which made the stars not visible by our own eyes visible on camera..
Shutter Speed: 30 seconds is my standard. Sometimes I will shoot anywhere to 50 seconds in order to catch more of the “Far away” light in my shots.
But I do see your point. A few years ago I was in northern California (Redding) and was outside having a cig, looked up with my eyes and actually saw the milky way. Where I live now, south EAST of Seattle, WA. I can't see the milky way.
edit on 27-1-2013 by Isaac (RIP DUSTIN) because: Edited! A few drinks and I forgot my bearings!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Isaac (RIP DUSTIN)

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

That and because the photographer used a 30 second delay (open shutter). It captured 30 seconds of light not visible by normal eyes. Which made the stars not visible by our own eyes visible on camera..
Shutter Speed: 30 seconds is my standard. Sometimes I will shoot anywhere to 50 seconds in order to catch more of the “Far away” light in my shots.
But I do see your point. A few years ago I was in northern California (Redding) and was outside having a cig, looked up with my eyes and actually saw the milky way. Where I live now, south EAST of Seattle, WA. I can't see the milky way.
edit on 27-1-2013 by Isaac (RIP DUSTIN) because: Edited! A few drinks and I forgot my bearings!

Yes it is a bit of both. But was he in a place with zero light pollution? I think not. Does the 30 second delay merely allow us to see what we would see with no pollution, if not how much more is visible? I have never lived in a place I can see the Milky Way. I have never witnessed it with my own eyes.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
So amazing, looks as if its erupting, spewing out the milky way!

As a photographer, I can almost imagine no better publicity than having your photo put out like that, imagine the print sales he's going to get! (well deserved, I might add!)

S&F, thanks for sharing!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Beautiful picture. I wonder how many of these are floating around the galaxy.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
This might sound totally stupid, i am quite embarrassed even to ask it, but here goes.

Why does it look like i am here and the milky way is way over there? If i was in it, why can i see it as if i am outside it? Oh man this sounds so dumb.

Beautiful picture by the way, thanks for posting
edit on 27-1-2013 by Tikitiboo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Tikitiboo

Because we're looking in towards the galactic center. That has the highest concentration of stars.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

OMG

I would love love love to live under that and see the Milky Way every night!!

This is a beautiful picture!!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Amazing, thank you for this post. Words cannot describe such beauty, thanks again

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Eat that!, religion!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Isn't it funny that the earth is located in just the right position in the outer region of one of the Milky Way's spiral arms to allow us to view the Milky Way and peer into deep space. If earth were located closer in within a higher concentration of stars the light would be too bright for us to observe anything outside of the star cluster earth would be imbedded in.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tikitiboo
This might sound totally stupid, i am quite embarrassed even to ask it, but here goes.

Why does it look like i am here and the milky way is way over there? If i was in it, why can i see it as if i am outside it? Oh man this sounds so dumb.

The Milky Way is visible as "way over there" because our sun, solar system and earth are located in the outer region of one of the galaxy's spiral arms, pretty far out from the galactic center, and outside of a star cluster, that gives the earth the exact position to view the universe.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join