It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Australia Day 2013

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Dear ATS Readers, Writers,

I wanted to wish all my fellow Ozzians a great and wonderful Australia Day.

On the east coast here, so dealing with cyclone remnants... most activities got cancelled due to real bad winds and rain.

Even though it was windy and rainy, I still had a good 'Stralia Day.

Watching the flick "Australia"... great movie if you get a chance, check it out sometime.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Happy Australia Day!

A few of my friends have moved over there for work, they say its brilliant! I'd like to go too, but Australia scares me, everything wants to kill you.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Australia Day...

Commemorates the day some boats filled with white people (1st fleet) arrived in Sydney Cove way back in 1788.

Back in the early 1900's some people wanted to make it January 1st since that was the day Australia became a Federation. It became one due to two main things.. Shearer's Strikes and of course the police murdering miners at Eureka (Eureka Stockade).

Also known as 'Invasion Day' by the only remaining race of peoples who had inhabited this land in the last 100,000 years... "only remaining race" because there were 5 different races inhabiting the land over that timeframe.

As born and bred Aussies become a minority in their country, we pause to commemorate the boats that arrived back then... knowing that the boats arriving now are part of the process forcing us to become a minority.... just like the native peoples experienced back then.

I would much prefer to commemorate the Eureka Stockade as the main reason we do Australia Day.. because that at least was strongly responsible for Australia becoming Australia and not just another 'County' of England.

So I would lift my glass.. if I drank.. to the miners at Eureka whose deaths began the process of our country becoming what it has been over the last 100 years... and forget for a day what it is now becoming.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Australia day was over when you posted this.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Yep, I know. I just signed up for an account here. Still, if you are an Aussie then what I posted is worth having a think about.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Not quite.........for the sandgropers anyway.

I've still got 42 minutes of drinking time.

Pfft.......who am I kidding, I'll see the sun come up at this stage.

God bless Australia!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Hi n00bUK, ATS Readers, Writers,

LOL... being new here myself, have had a few "scares" myself. Not EVERYTHING is out to kill you.

Maybe only 1 or 2 things a day is all..lmao!

I got to admit, the things that "bug" me most about this part of Oz is, :

1. LEECHES

2. PARALYSIS TICK

If those 2 things were disappeared, it would be heaven.

If you get a chance at all, you must visit this lovely land. Amazing place.

The birds alone... are worth the trip. I talking the kind with feathers...lol.

Wonderful place, great people.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Oldie

Hi Oldie,

Funny you should mention that. I got a can cooler with Eureka Flag on it.

Yep, That uprising did a lot to make Oz not just another shire of the UK

Reading history books on the early days.... yes it was inhumane times.

Early 1800's was a brutal world for all who lived in those times.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by pravdaseeker

Happy Australia Day to you, hope your enjoying the Sunshine State (although it's finally come around to typical Queensland summer weather).

How did you find your first Australia Day? Most people find it pretty relaxed, barbeques family gatherings, beach cricket (bet your still trying to figure that one out hey?
), and generally beer and more beer.

We got pretty washed out (on the Sunshine Coast north of you), but still managed to have an undercover BBQ with about 30 or so people, dodging raindrops.

Here's to many more.

Originally posted by SpearMint

Just for the record it's known as the Australia Day Long Weekend. The official day was Sat the 26th yes, but we generally celebrate the long weekend. So maybe give the guy a break...

edit on 27/1/2013 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a personal update of Monday, Australia Day Public Holiday

after the rain stopped and after 5 hrs of a very adventures drive to reach the town nearby that usually takes me half an hour, here a few pictures of that day ::

this lady, still in her pyjamas, and her 2 kids lost their house under water, came down to the river to have a look

….. but still in celebration mood

this is my way to work over a bridge that is not visible under 21 ms of water. i lost heaps of a good triple pay and was fuming over that. only state emergency services crossed from one side to the other. the river runs through town and needless to say that the hwy was also gone. total isolation for days.

the town’s main street. and mind you: this is the third time in 4 years !!

BUT Australians are never short of having a good time

nor of being stupid

but then again, there was a special kind of fever in the air

i had 3 days of no electricity and neighbours had arrived soon to have cups of teas and dinner because I have a gas cooker. life had changed quickly to cavemen’s allures. it was true survival.

ok, the roof leaked a little but for me, worst was no internet and no money income - i’m so ashamed to report. the first day i was near shaking with cold turkey. but the second day was truly beautiful: back to nature.

we are drying out now. slowly but surely. the feet are dry, maybe i’m still a bit wet between the ears. -

new topics

top topics

join