It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Age movement is quite literally confused and mad!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

In the 70's you could get laid by pretty nice women if you had the New Age jargon down cold. Carlos Castenada's main character in his novels was named Don Juan for a reason, let me tell you.

I initially became proficient in Tarot and Numerology specifically to nail chicks. The whole esoteric thing has always been about establishing an attractive persona for a lot of New Age adherents. There's always been a strong social component to it, and that hasn't changed.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Wow. You must have been the 60's version of Superbad. Only you could make the New Age stuff look so worthless.

And it's STILL a better love story than Christianity.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

The sequence of falling dominos, the last domino has to be the last to fall but being one of the dominos you can only see one of two dominos in front. You cant win ever unless you can see the path of the falling dominos.

very good. Trajectory analysis is the true key to accomplishment. Trajectory manipulation is how you proactively affect the future, but even simply trajectory calculation can ensure that when a domino falls that you won't find yourself beneath it. Divination isn't magic. It's no more a miracle than successfully running down a fly ball.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by NorEaster

Wow. You must have been the 60's version of Superbad. Only you could make the New Age stuff look so worthless.

And it's STILL a better love story than Christianity.

It wasn't worthless. Not to those of us who never believed in much of anything other than the instant and how to best enjoy it. And that included the majority of the people who populated the New Age movement when it began. Seriously. I was there, and only the ones who really believed, or who made some serious money or careers with it, ended up slogging through with it during the 80's and 90's. You can make a living in it now again, but there were some lean years there for a while. The ranks thinned out appropriately when those years showed up - indicating exactly how worthless it was for most of the folks who initially embraced it.

I wasn't the only tourist back then. That said, I never let go of Tarot or Numerology, and while I've studied both to a depth that could land me a tenured position anywhere, I've never bothered to make a dime with either or taken advantage of anyone as a result of a reading I've given. I suppose I can look at that as something to not be particularly ashamed of, even if my initial impetus was less than pure and noble.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mythfury
reply to post by Oldie

I dont think he should be making fun of them. Thats an ego problem there. His lifestyle denies anything past physical, because he makes fun of them. Think you can troll? I hear 4chan is hiring new users for free. Go there.

He will do what he will do, and there is nothing anyone can say that will change that. There is no should, there is only what is.

It is obvious to most of us that unabalanced ego is driving the responses, and in time it will become obvious to himself. He just hasn't hit the bottom of his self-imposed rut yet.

I cannot abuse him for this, after all, he is only another human being suffering through delusion and separation and as such is deserving of some form of joyful release when he can get it. Hence my reply to him. It does no good to become offended by Athlon's words and attitude as that only shows our own weaknesses and lack of acceptance.

Why am I now being called a "Troll", do I live under a bridge and await the passing goat ? Have I done something wrong ? I ask because I do not understand as I am a new member here.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

In the 70's you could get laid by pretty nice women if you had the New Age jargon down cold. Carlos Castenada's main character in his novels was named Don Juan for a reason, let me tell you.

I initially became proficient in Tarot and Numerology specifically to nail chicks. The whole esoteric thing has always been about establishing an attractive persona for a lot of New Age adherents. There's always been a strong social component to it, and that hasn't changed.

I remember the 70's well, and found that I never needed any tools or trickery to obtain my share (and others) of sexually active women. It was a much free-er time.

Tarot is only a Tool. Like a baby holding onto their parents hand until they are able to walk, and eventually run unaided, Tools must be laid aside in order to move into the next step.

What you describe is part of what went wrong with the 'movement', so in effect you were/are part of the problem.

Human motivations are basic things and will always steer any movement in the opposite directions to what it could be. That does not mean that there are not good people who have something worthwhile to share at no or little cost to others, not inlcuding their own daily efforts.

I note over time that many people have an issue with anyone making a living out of working in the Industry. To a degree I do too. I draw the line at asking ridiculous fees for pantomime. I also argue with those working in the Industry who see it as a means to obtain Things, Kudos and the apparently all important Lifestyle.

If a person is working in this field, they only need to ask for fees that enable them to keep body and soul together, to supply the basics of life without excess of any kind. But so few today think that way no matter what field they participate in. Excess has become the desired "norm", sadly.

edit on 27-1-2013 by Oldie because: correcting spelling

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I went through that search when I was young, late teens. I think it was prevalent in the 60's especially so, and evolved in later years to just another name ie. New Age. or more properly Parapsychology. I think a lot of those from that time delved into Castaneda, Gurdjieff, Paramahansa Yogananda and the like, searching for some 'Magic' or enlightenment. I think nearly all of us at one time or another as adolescents, wished we had some magic love potion or hex or curse we could employ on others. I think thats when paranormal movies and programs were beginning their heyday. The search for the Holy Grail as it were, that 'all noble magic'. Having powers and insights. Kung Foo filled that gap, here an Eco friendly 'sage' wanderer. And music was not to be without it's influence. But it all really turned out to be just another way of seeking to be different, ego, narcissism, seeking to become a shaman of guru or deity of sorts. Life is only what you invest into it. Inaction begets inaction, and action begets action. A lifetime is easy to waste. To have been remarkable, quite another challenge.
edit on 27-1-2013 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Hi AthlonSavage and all of ATS here,

I had a similar experience in my late teens, studying all sorts of New Age stuff and found most of it to be bunk.
But at the same time I was experiencing a sort of spiritual bliss, joy, an awakening, I knew I was onto something and kept seeking...

Then I explored Religions, not so much jumping in and becoming a fundie this or that but concepts, what do they really have for me to enrich my spirituality, spark it? I'm still a big fan of Zen and Taoism
they make me laugh too.

But then I found two books that changed everything "Modern Magic" by Kraig and "The Golden Dawn" by Regardie. Want to cut through the crap and get to the real meat and potatoes? Pick up those books or their PDF's. Then you will see if you are ready to do the real work. Many years after picking up those books I made a decision that has changed my life and became a Frater in a real mystery school. Most awesome thing to ever happen to me, I can't see life as ever beeing so rich as it is now without my Fraters and Sorors. People who have all seeked just as you and i have
The quest is far better with good strong friends at your side and with people who have gone before you to consult.

In normal life I'm just a normal guy with a few extra iq points, I'm a nice guy, considerate, I help people and most people like me, you wouldn't think anything was different about me at all but I can't open up to those people in "Normal" life, most are not open minded and are stuck in some sort of Dogma.

"Secret Society"? Hardly, more like Fraternity, for obvious reasons. Show us you have the right mindset, that you seek and your in. Show us that your stuck in Dogma and your not. No politics, no discrimination, no nonsense.

My conclusions much later in life is that most New-Age stuff is some sort of knock off from real old school Occultism, Qabalah and Religion. People are trying to make a buck or find a little something and proceed to proclaim themselves "enlightened" as people will do...

May you find what you need on your journey.

LVX,

Frater

edit on 27-1-2013 by Frater because: More Info

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
I started to get into the new age ideas about 18 months ago, and like most people read literature and listened to the various youtube videos which explain ideas, beliefs and conceptualisations of the gurus who inhabit the intellectualism of the new age spirit void. I was for many months fascinated by what i was listening to, and as the months turned into about a year i began to assimilate and examine closely what i heard; to establish a point of reference for the consciousess mind for it to be able to accept widsom and intelligence from the etheral source of antiquous light.

Upon the epsiode of pondering the widsoms of the new age i began to see many cracks and inconsistences in the teachings of the esoteric preachers, guides, the lightworkers and the gurus. My reaction was to suspect foul play of being duped by sweet talking conmen out to profit from the goodwill of people genuinely seeking enlightment. This suspicion gradually subsided and i went through a second phase thinking possibly the new age is a covert front for Satanists. Many of the new age teachings center on the path to enlightement requiring accepting there is no dark or light only the path, and openly identify some of there icons as eygptian deities who definitely resemble some kind of dark Aztec paganistic creatures.

Now i have finally come to realise i was mainly off track about the above. What i have realised is most new age gurus, lightworkers, guides dont really know what they are talking about. What they know is alot of phrases and jargon which kinda sounds mystical, clever, intelligent and deep but in reality its fictional nonscence they are making up. Whats really ironic is i have come to realise they have fooled themselves with this nonscence and really do believe in it. Yes they belioeve their own BS. Unfortunately for them it being nonscence means the only true point of reference they can ever really ascend to is that where contradiction, confusion and maddness reside as the dominion of their mental faculties.

I only have to point to teh 2012 non- event to say i rest my case on this one....Guilty as charged!
edit on 26-1-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

ok lol new agism is simply truth mixed in with lies the truth and wisdom is thousands of years old and the lies are the literal points of observation 2012 and "etheral"

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Explanation:

:shk:

Personal Disclosure: Have you ever heard of a mirror?

In chat both you and me agreed that God was indeed malevolent and you also agreed with me that Descartes both logically and reasonably proves that you can only prove that you exist and that you can only prove that to yourself!

Hence you are God!

Who are you angry at again and what for?! Oh wait hang on ... wait a minute ... never mind ... I can see you are projecting!

Sorry ... my bad for walking in on a closed mind!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Logos! Long time no post! Good to see you again...and with such a stylish smoking-gun entrance, too. Would you care to outline the general discussion that lead to the conclusion that "God" is malevolent?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Explanation: St*rred!

I'd be glad to.

It was on a discussion of Epicurus's logical quote on the nature of God.

A Quote by Epicurus on god, omnipotence, malevolence, evil, omnipotent, and malevolent [blog.gaiam.com]

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?

Epicurus (c. 341 - c. 270 BC)

And as for Descartes ...

Personal Disclosure: The obvious, at face value realization, leads one to the only logical and reasonably conclusive answer directly.

We only have ourself [note singular and not plural], as God, to blame.

I hope this helps!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Ah, the infamous Epicurus theorem. Refreshing to see that I'm not the only one paying attention to that particular note. I'll have to look into the Descartes stuff too.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Wonderful.
Thank you for sharing.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

The New Age Movement is just a recycle bin for ideas. Of course it is confused!

Biofeedback
Centering prayer
Eco-communalism
Higher consciousness
Mantas
Holotropic breathing
Hypnosis
Paradigm shift
Rebirth
Spiritual evolution
Transcendental meditation
Transpersonal psychology

...the list goes on and on.

It has never known from the beginning what it wishes to achieve and certainly not how it wishes to achieve it. There is no bible. No figurehead. Just too much white noise.

Pick and choose the parts you like and form your own philosophy around them.

Exactly. "New Age" seems to be more of a genre than a distinct school of thought. It's simply a couple of words to categorize a bunch of loosely related concepts into one umbrella. Each of those ideas coming from much older origins.

I get called "New Age" sometimes because I'm a pagan witch but I have no idea what half the stuff you listed is. Buddhists (western ones) will often get called "New Age", as well, and they also wouldn't recognize things on that list. This just proves that New Age is simply a collection of practices that come from older cultures and there is nothing "new" about it.

Totally agree with your sentiments. It's definitely not an all-or-nothing way of thinking.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I like the new age movement. I enjoy swimming in the middle of the ocean with no land in site. It makes me rely on myself. It drives me inward. I learn more. I grow. I find what is divine within me. It's not out there, it's inside.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
This is actually a pretty contentious aspect of my marriage right now. Without getting too personal my wife is deep into the "new age" thought(s) and I am reserved on it. A lot of it doesn't make sense to me and I simply just don't understand some of it. There is some science to it that makes a little sense but in practice not really.

What I find to be the most difficult to understand is that they idea is to live a spiritual life with foundations that are outside of the physical world and more from the ethereal universe...which I cannot for the life of me understand WHY one would try to live from those principals in a physical world...it's not practical...the rules don't apply here.

Yea maybe in another dimension void of physical laws utilizing some of these new age principals would make sense and be of use...They just seem so pointless here and completely impractical and honestly to me its infuriating to try and implement them.

they say were spiritual beings having a physical experience then they try to live a spiritual life and remove themselves from the physical world mentally and ideologically...??? Isn't that defeating the point of this "physical experience"???

Its like trying to use black crayon on black paper and then trying to justify it by saying white paper exists...

I dunno it makes no practical sense to me at all...I get frustrated because the "new age" mindset fails to accurately describe anything really...its very vague and generalized.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Sounds to me like both you and the OP need a large dose of Joseph Campbell.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

LOL- My father was an outspoken feminist exactly for that reason, I suspect. Because he's actually pretty sexist in practice. But it worked great at getting laid back then- as did being a philosopher (even if you just continually regurgitate others theories , women fall at your feet with stars in their eyes...)

I looked into the Nw Age stuff at first because I had gone through a period of introversion and isolation which led to a sort of spiritual "awakening"- and within those circles I found some ideas which reflected the same I had found on my own. But as time went on, I saw people getting stranger and stranger, and not using inner sight, but rather, listening to others. When the guy that channels Kryon came to France I went to the show. That was the moment it really hit me that this was a stupid circus and I couldn't stand it.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
It's good to see people on this board finally coming to the same realization as the OP.

For a (hopefully brief) period of our lives, we let others do the thinking for us—whether it be through books, preachings or the all-too-popular youtube video—and the New Age movement is always there to offer some quite seductive promises to those wanting to be told how to live. Luckily there are still a few strong enough to withstand these seductions.

Good luck OP. You're better off, and as a result, more spiritual than the New Age movement could ever be.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join