It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Age movement is quite literally confused and mad!

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
Now i have finally come to realise i was mainly off track about the above. What i have realised is most new age gurus, lightworkers, guides dont really know what they are talking about. What they know is alot of phrases and jargon which kinda sounds mystical, clever, intelligent and deep but in reality its fictional nonscence they are making up.

Why do these phrases sound that way to you? It's not like the meaning of what they say is in the air, that's just a bunch of molecules vibrating to make you hear high and low tones. It's not like there is something in the expression of the other, that's just learned body language and again, a bunch of molecules which have no inherent meaning, just the meaning you give to it or have been hypnotized to believe. And there's certainly no transfer of energy, like downloading a concept and then you just know. Your mind somewhere translated it and touched something inside, you can't deny that. But you are right, most new agers have little clues but the few they have means the world to them and they'll defend it probably even in the afterlife.

What is most funny though is when 2 well known guru's or lightworkers meet and discuss the same clue. At some point they'll only be argueing about who has the most important information about a clue since they don't have all the pieces of the puzzles, then on comes this super serious vibe and they start acting all important and almost motionless like there's a motion detector nearby like a Trex it's going to eat you or it's so important you have to become one big ear and listen very intently - it's priceless.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

We'll, now i'll defend them.

Isn't Insanity doing the same thing and expecting different results?

You did the same thing, and wanted everything to be changed, they changed their whole lives and did that, got a different mindset.

Not saying you are insane, but you are going to go back to the previous way of living, before you looked into "New Age", in your words, And expect things that won't happen. That doesnt seem healthy.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythfury

Im amazed this thread is still running, i guess every body need a forum to vent in over the failing of the new age to deliver on its promises.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79

But you are right, most new agers have little clues but the few they have means the world to them and they'll defend it probably even in the afterlife.

I like your reply but somehow i very much doubt any newager will be defending the newage after they are dead.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   

I'm surprised also. But if you don't want the S&F's for a ridiculous thread, I'll take 'em!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

I'm surprised also. But if you don't want the S&F's for a ridiculous thread, I'll take 'em!

Spread the Enlightenment with S/F

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
20 years ago they still had some of the old spark.
but some thing got to them?
they stop't all being one.
they stared using a name for their own group!
and you got lots of new small groups.

and every one tryéd to make money by doing their own books.
Now like the Old days.
the True Pagans have gone into hiding/ underground Again.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Itisnowagain

"Reality is that which happens.
That is happening.
I am that."

That's what you said. In my mind, reality is our comprehension. The entirety of reality is determined solely by our comprehension. It cannot be purely 'that which happens' because we do not comprehend all of what happens. Especially not right when it's happening. You are that? Then you are obviously nothing, because the present is always slipping into the past. What is happening now is always becoming what has happened. If you do not remember or foresee, then you are a constant stream of 'now', as your username would imply. Which would essentially makes you a mindless vegetable. Life would be a movie for you, and you would be unable to react properly.

Reality is not determined by your comprehension, reality is what is real. Real is what never changes and is constant.

What is seen and experienced is constantly changing, moving, never the same. What is seen and experienced is transitory. What is being seen and experienced is not stable because it is constantly changing. Life as 'we know it' can be disturbing because of this - no stability.

You say that the present is always slipping into the past and what is happening now will become what happened. So you must see that the 'happening' is always happening presently. It becomes 'happened' when it is not 'happening'. 'Happened' is a thought, a memory, an idea. 'Happening' is actually happening. It is what is appearing presently.

"The present is always slipping into the past". Do you ever slip into the past?

edit on 31-1-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Since when do major figureheads represent the majority of those who follow their ideas? Silly argument.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

Im amazed this thread is still running, i guess every body need a forum to vent in over the failing of the new age to deliver on its promises.

Where is my jet-pack? And my hover-car? And my moon-colony? Science has failed to deliver... where is a thread to vent about the failure of science?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Mass suicide? That is an extremely inaccurate portrayal of what it's all about. You can keep them coming, but I don't see the point in associating cult worship and practices, with millenia of disciplined seekers of understanding, love, and truth.

This was already addressed by iWilliam on page 13.
edit on 31-1-2013 by Ewok_Boba because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Reality is not determined by your comprehension, reality is what is real. Real is what never changes and is constant.

What's real to me is not what's real to you. Reality depends entirely on our comprehension of our perception. Perceptions changes everything. How do you describe reality? What we feel? What we see? What we know? Reality is everything inside of our heads. That's all. If we're not aware of it on some level, then it is removed from our reality. It becomes an idea, a background noise. Reality is the song we're listening to in our head. If you don't believe me, ask a stoner or a druggie. Ask them about all the crazy stuff they experienced in their chemically altered states of mind. Chemicals influence how we perceive the world, and that changes our reality. It makes us think differently, makes us feel differently, makes us consider new things and reach new epiphanies about life. And then we change. Very subtly, we change. And after we change, reality changes. We can remember thinking a certain way, behaving a certain way, and just think about how we were so foolish and so naive.

And you know what? That's reality. That way you looked at the world. That's reality, how you see everything around you. It's not outside, it's inside. If you think reality exists independently of your ability to perceive, then try a sensory deprivation tank. See how long it takes for your mind to invent a completely new world, a completely new reality. A reality that doesn't even exist. And yet, it will be real to you. Because everything real is inside our heads. Always.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by masqua

There's nothing wrong with stretching. If they wish to pretend it's an act of spirituality, that is their right.

But I suppose I could still talk ill about it.

I think it's more of a quest for vanity than anything. They could just stretch and practice breathing exercises at home, but instead they feel the need to be seen doing it. Yoga is a huge industry as a result. The gurus are rich in money, not spirituality.

Maybe you might want to look a little deeper into what yoga really is. Many think it is just sitting in silly positions for exercise but the true meaning of yoga is much more and much less than that.
This is Alan Watts speaking about the true meaning of yoga; youtu.be...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Before i commence on answering your post i would like you to consider answering the question i asked, at least contemplate it.
Do you slip into the past?
edit on 31-1-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

What's real to me is not what's real to you. Reality depends entirely on our comprehension of our perception. Perceptions changes everything. How do you describe reality? What we feel? What we see? What we know? Reality is everything inside of our heads. That's all. If we're not aware of it on some level, then it is removed from our reality. It becomes an idea, a background noise. Reality is the song we're listening to in our head. If you don't believe me, ask a stoner or a druggie. Ask them about all the crazy stuff they experienced in their chemically altered states of mind. Chemicals influence how we perceive the world, and that changes our reality. It makes us think differently, makes us feel differently, makes us consider new things and reach new epiphanies about life. And then we change. Very subtly, we change. And after we change, reality changes. We can remember thinking a certain way, behaving a certain way, and just think about how we were so foolish and so naive.

And you know what? That's reality. That way you looked at the world. That's reality, how you see everything around you. It's not outside, it's inside. If you think reality exists independently of your ability to perceive, then try a sensory deprivation tank. See how long it takes for your mind to invent a completely new world, a completely new reality. A reality that doesn't even exist. And yet, it will be real to you. Because everything real is inside our heads. Always.

What is looking at the appearing 'world' is what never changes. Awareness. For the changing, transitory, moving scene to be there 'something' must be seeing it.
Even in a deprivation tank the pictures and scenes appear but there has to be awareness prior to the pictures (dream scenes). Awareness is never absent, it is always present. It is overlooked because it looks out. But when it is recognized, it can look at itself. When it does it finds an unchanging presence that has always been there. It is the one stable, it is salvation.
Take a look at what is seeing the scene right now, the only time you will ever know.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ewok_Boba

Mass suicide? That is an extremely inaccurate portrayal of what it's all about. You can keep them coming, but I don't see the point in associating cult worship and practices, with millenia of disciplined seekers of understanding, love, and truth.

That sounds like something a cult leader would say.

Of course my examples are gross generalizations, but to claim there is nothing substantial that shows the danger of a new religious movement, and to decry those that are of fit enough mind to question such things, is at best ignorance, or at worst a bold faced lie.

You mentioned truth while being dishonest. A disciplined seeker would easily see such a contradiction.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I have. Maybe you should as well.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Of course my examples are gross generalizations, but to claim there is nothing substantial that shows the danger of a new religious movement, and to decry those that are of fit enough mind to question such things, is at best ignorance, or at worst a bold faced lie.

That danger does exist, but I see millions of people embracing such danger in a religion every day. If Christianity and Judaism and Islam is worth it, then so is New Ageism and related spiritual paths.

Just as you do not judge a whole family by the behavior of one obnoxious child, you don't judge an entire path by the actions of one misguided spiritualist. These cult leaders are the alcoholics of spirituality. They delude themselves to escape inner demons. All spiritual paths can breed "alcoholics". They get drunk on the power of being worshiped. They get drunk on the headiness of such potent ale as the undying loyalty of a fellow human being. They get drunk on being so important and so valuable, on being so righteous.

And that can occur in any spiritual path, because every spiritual path offers temptations as well as healing. There is no "God Path", there is no "God Formula". There is only doing what is right for you. And if it doesn't work for someone else, if it is distasteful to someone else, then they can go eat their vanilla ice cream while you enjoy your sherbet. We were not meant to all walk the same path. Each of us needs different lessons in life. So there are some of us who will need the "New Age" stuff, because it teaches us things that others don't necessarily need to learn. If that makes us inferior or worthy of judgment, then I would advise you take a close look at your own spiritual path to see why you feel that way, because it sounds like that path makes you no more enlightened or knowledgeable on such a condition than the rest of us.
edit on 31-1-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Let me give you a simple GRE question.

If there were 10000 spiritual disciplines in the world from 1850 to 2013, and 250 of them involved mass suicide, 150 of them involved murder, and 1200 included some degree of sexual promiscuity, which one of the following is an accurate depiction of all spiritual disciplines?

1) There are degrees of extremism in all spiritual disciplines.
2) Their teachings can be generalized as not having significant value to the individual or to the community.
3) The pursuits of respective schools of thought will lead to a destructive and poisoned society.
4) The question asked is utter nonsense.

You're right it is a gross generalization, which you apparently have no problem doing, yet I'm the dishonest one. A few outlier groups in no way represent them all as a collective, and by using that to take the affirmative, you are directly violating ATS T&C.

Again, you've posted nothing substantial with all of that text. Just popularized incidences separated by time and space. You've provided ample evidence of extremism which is reflective of those people who use examples of Shariah law and terrorism to blame Muslims for the conflicts plaguing the world today. I did mention truth. Nothing of what I've said was dishonest. It's what a critical thinker would conclude from your post. I haven't taken sides, nor am I decrying anyone but you at the moment for presenting one-sided information.

I'm not saying people shouldn't use their heads here. I'm all for that. But I certainly don't care for people like the OP who were undisciplined in their pursuits to begin with.

edit on 31-1-2013 by Ewok_Boba because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join