It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Age movement is quite literally confused and mad!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I don't think any of those words mean when you think they mean.

What does it mean to you?

Reality is 'that' which happens.
'That' is happening.
I am that.

Maybe you could tell me what words i should have used instead. Can you rephrase it for me please?
edit on 29-1-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by samaka

As Anthony De Mello put it... it's about stripping yourself from the mental programming that was instilled since our births, the programming that society has contaminated reality. Stripping yourself from all labels, categories and the image that society has given you.

Have no issue with that however will add that replacing it with a system of insanity is not a solution neither.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Have no issue with that however will add that replacing it with a system of insanity is not a solution neither.

I still haven't seen you providing any evidence that "New Age" is a system of insanity.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

I don't think any of those words mean when you think they mean.

I don't think you meant to write 'when'.
I believe you meant to write 'what'.

Now, can you show me where you think i went wrong.
edit on 30-1-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

Please can you state what it is that you and everyone is looking for?
I am still not clear on what it was you were hoping to get from 'the new age movement'.

I was hoping to experience the source of true knowledge and instead i got its now agains choclate box of empty nothingness.

You must be looking in the wrong direction.

Yeah, I love how people write about the confusion and lack of spectacular "results" (whatever kind of results those may be) from "The New Age Movement" as though it's one collective organized group with a coherent, singularly directed philosophy. In reality, "The New Age Movement" encompasses thousands of sometimes widely varying beliefs and belief systems.

Maybe some people are expecting it will just be another kind of religion. When in reality, even "Christianity" is not one religion, but an umbrella term for a bunch of sects with varying (often differing) beliefs. All of "The New Age Movement" doesn't hold the keys to truth, the same way that all of "Christianity" doesn't hold the keys to truth. And if you're a christian taking offense to that... ask yourself..... are the Protestants wholly right? The Catholics? The Cathars? The Essenes? Etc etc....

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Im reminded of this friend of mine who has wanted to be rich for many years now. She has tried visualizing, crystal-gazing, ritual magick, shamanism, meditation and a whole host of other things so that she could "get rich". After all these years she still struggles to pay her rent but somehow pretends that she is richer than she used to be. A method she has not tried yet is work. She represents to me what is wrong about large parts of the "new age movement"; the tendency to delude themselves into airy beliefs that do not support them in day-to-day life.

While your post is surely reflective of a certain segment of "New Age" students, I do not think it represents the majority. Just as some Christian sects will say you can tickle vipers and drink strichnine and be fine, or a better analogy-- others saying that their devotees don't need modern medicine, and should not seek it out, but rather only pray, and your illness will be healed.... even in cases of heart failure, cancer, etc etc....

I don't think anyone would make the mistake of thinking these beliefs and practices were representative of all of Christianity? So why would you suppose the above is representative of all (or even a majority) of "New Age?"

edit on 30-1-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

"Reality is that which happens.
That is happening.
I am that."

That's what you said. In my mind, reality is our comprehension. The entirety of reality is determined solely by our comprehension. It cannot be purely 'that which happens' because we do not comprehend all of what happens. Especially not right when it's happening. You are that? Then you are obviously nothing, because the present is always slipping into the past. What is happening now is always becoming what has happened. If you do not remember or foresee, then you are a constant stream of 'now', as your username would imply. Which would essentially makes you a mindless vegetable. Life would be a movie for you, and you would be unable to react properly.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Happening is a domino effect of conscious collapsing into physical reality and continuously tumbling. Itsnowagain embraces conciosuness is like a static pool of water, and we all know there is no life in static pools.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Im reminded of this friend of mine who has wanted to be rich for many years now. She has tried visualizing, crystal-gazing, ritual magick, shamanism, meditation and a whole host of other things so that she could "get rich". After all these years she still struggles to pay her rent but somehow pretends that she is richer than she used to be. A method she has not tried yet is work. She represents to me what is wrong about large parts of the "new age movement"; the tendency to delude themselves into airy beliefs that do not support them in day-to-day life.

Immaterial wealth > Material Wealth, 15 times out of 10...

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

What do you expect from a decentralized adhoc movement, at least there is no one attempting to cram the round people in square slots and making them miserable. It seems an advance for me...

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ewok_Boba

Every single one of your, and everyone else's insults to the movement and those serious in their pursuits here is completely unsubstantiated. You are using an event which was only recently revealed by a few modern day individuals, as ammunition to target dozens of mystical schools of thought present across the world for millenia. In short, your whole thread is ridiculous. As are the elementary opinions of all the trolls who agree with you for those very reasons.

Order of the Solar Temple
Beliefs:

the aims of the Order of the Solar Temple included: establishing "correct notions of authority and power in the world"; an affirmation of the primacy of the spiritual over the temporal; assisting humanity through a great "transition"; preparing for the Second Coming of Jesus as a solar god-king; and furthering a unification of all Christian churches and Islam.

Mass-Suicide

Heaven's Gate
Beliefs:

Heaven's Gate members believed that the planet Earth was about to be "recycled" (wiped clean, renewed, refurbished and rejuvenated), and that the only chance to survive was to leave it immediately. While the group was formally against suicide, they defined "suicide" in their own context to mean "to turn against the Next Level when it is being offered,"[9] and believed that their "human" bodies were only vessels meant to help them on their journey. In conversation, when referring to a person or a person's body, they routinely used the word "vehicle"; when shown a picture of his son in an interview, Rio DiAngelo commented, "Look, there's the little vehicle."

Mass Suicide

Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments of God
Beliefs:

The goals of the Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments of God were to obey the Ten Commandments and preach the word of Jesus Christ. They taught that to avoid damnation in the apocalypse, one had to strictly follow the Commandments. The emphasis on the Commandments was so strong that the group discouraged talking, for fear of breaking the Ninth Commandment, "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor," and on some days communication was only conducted in sign language.[citation needed] Fasts were conducted regularly, and only one meal was eaten on Fridays and Mondays. Sex was forbidden, as was soap.

Mass Suicide/Murder

Aum Shinrikyo
Beliefs:

Aum Shinrikyo/Aleph is a syncretic belief system that incorporates Asahara's facets of Christianity with idiosyncratic interpretations of Yoga, and the writings of Nostradamus.[5] In 1992 Asahara published a landmark book, and declared himself "Christ",[6] Japan's only fully enlightened master and identified with the "Lamb of God".[7] His purported mission was to take upon himself the sins of the world, and he claimed he could transfer to his followers spiritual power and ultimately take away their sins and bad works.

Mass Murder/Terrorism

Charles Manson
Beliefs:

Manson established himself as a guru in San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury, which, during 1967's "Summer of Love", was emerging as the signature hippie locale. Expounding a philosophy that included some of the Scientology he had studied in prison,[2]:163–164 he soon had his first group of young followers, most of them female.[2]:137–146 Upon a staff evaluation of Manson when he entered prison in July 1961 at the U.S. penitentiary in McNeil Island, Washington, Manson entered "Scientologist" as his religion.[2]:143–144

Murder

Indigenous peoples of the Americas

Some adherents of traditional disciplines, such as the Lakota people—a tribe of the indigenous peoples of the Americas, reject "the expropriation of [their] ceremonial ways by non-Indians." They see the New Age movement as either not fully understanding, deliberately trivializing, or distorting their disciplines.[102]
They have coined the term plastic medicine men to describe individuals, from within their own communities "who are prostituting our spiritual ways for their own selfish gain, with no regard for the spiritual well-being of the people as a whole."[102] The term plastic shaman has been applied to outsiders who identify themselves as shamans, holy people, or other traditional spiritual leaders, but who have no genuine connection to the traditions or cultures they claim to represent.

Trivializing Cultures

1984 Rajneeshee bioterror attack
Terrrorism

Substantial enough? Because there's a lot more.
edit on 30-1-2013 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Last thing I want to do is begin pointing out the all of the braindead atrocities which came out of dogmatic religions.

On the other hand, let's talk about that horrible New Agey technique of yoga which has spread it's tentacles throughout the western world. Pretty bad stuff when you consider the sheer number of adherents singing ohmanipadmeohm, ringing little bells, greeting each other with namaste's and contorting themselves into evil poses such as the 'puking dog' or whatever.

Work of the devil.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

There's nothing wrong with stretching. If they wish to pretend it's an act of spirituality, that is their right.

But I suppose I could still talk ill about it.

I think it's more of a quest for vanity than anything. They could just stretch and practice breathing exercises at home, but instead they feel the need to be seen doing it. Yoga is a huge industry as a result. The gurus are rich in money, not spirituality.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Yoga and Exercise Benefits

I would hope at the least, you were being a tad sarcastic.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
The gurus are rich in money, not spirituality.

And, of course, the televangelists are the complete opposite... right? Black and white is all there is because grey isn't worth looking at (like everything else these days).

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

D'ya think?

I thought I was fairly dripping it.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

What system of insanity are you talking about? If you "replacing" or "adding" then you're not stripping yourself from the programming... you're only adding more programming. When you remove the programming, you have no reaction to anything, only choice.

Why do we have negative emotions/thoughts? because you were programmed to believe that you need to be praised, you need to have money, you need to have a lover, I need to have friends, the world should be this way or that way, I need to be motivated, I don't have that kind of energy anymore because I'm older ect.... . these are stress/fear/anxiety emotions and thoughts that you become consciously aware of when your senses pick up the information from reality, that data gets filtered and process through those subconscious thoughts or programming, hence the reason for this thread

When you strip away from all of that.... guess what.. you have natural love now, your reality is not containmented by the filtrations of cultural/society programing which muddies up the natural love you are born with...

Look up a movie called Human Resources to understand human programming and how it's being used on the public. This is exactly what you need to strip yourself from...

Are you feeling alone?
edit on 30-1-2013 by samaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

And, of course, the televangelists are the complete opposite... right? Black and white is all there is because grey isn't worth looking at (like everything else these days).

Actually no they're quite the same.

If you look at the etymology of the word "spirituality,' you'll see how far these people are trying to push themselves and mankind away from spirituality. It's quite the funny paradox.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

And, on that note, I completely agree with you. When the onus is on externalizing the source for spirituality, the cause is lost. Every religious thought anyone ever carved on stone, painted in dark caves or wove into cloth is sourced from the search 'within'.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Last thing I want to do is begin pointing out the all of the braindead atrocities which came out of dogmatic religions.

On the other hand, let's talk about that horrible New Agey technique of yoga which has spread it's tentacles throughout the western world. Pretty bad stuff when you consider the sheer number of adherents singing ohmanipadmeohm, ringing little bells, greeting each other with namaste's and contorting themselves into evil poses such as the 'puking dog' or whatever.

Work of the devil.

.... and really unsightly when walking to the pool and glancing through the plate glass window at the gym that houses the yoga room... and seeing.. yoga-ites... in that puking dog AKA Bakasana.. or Crane pose. I felt the calcium crackle right off of my pineal gland and did some involuntary meditative breathing...

Whatever floats the new agers boats.. or lets folks sleep at night... with fake dream catchers and crystals pasted all over themselves. I dont care anymore.. but I always did get a kick out of the discussions concerning special white folks "powows"... if they only knew. When younger it was offensive.. the BS with the fake shamans and etc.. now.. meh.. idiots will be idiots.. and idiots will follow them. Theyre too dim to realize what a slap in the face it is to meddle with and infiltrate someones culture for a buck or for some weird ego thing. I particularly loved the "spirit animal" discussion on here. I kind of think I was hated as a child... considering Im a CDIB card carrying Siksika/Blackfeet and both of my parents rez born.. and I didnt even get a pretend ghost animal for Gods sake. I was robbed!
Im even okay with the suicide cults.. if I was world Empress.. Id say you can kill yourself to catch a comet, in a "sweat" lodge ( complete with bright blue tarps) or whatever.. as long as you dont kill anyone else in your quest for enlightenment. Id even strongly encourage it.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I still haven't seen you providing any evidence that "New Age" is a system of insanity.

What do i have ti start naming names of the Major and minor figureheads of the new age movement to demonstrate insanity.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join