Why us Brits don't need guns for protection

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by tjack

Originally posted by HelenConway

YES and frankly I am a bit sick of threads along these lines - ' we Brits are so great we don't have guns' etc and conversely ' we Americans are so free we do have guns'

Headache - give it a break guys !!

gotta say, I really like you Helen.

Thank you tjack, I take compliments where I can get them

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Thanks for the input guys/girls.

Sounds about the same as Americans really.

Sorry to derail the thread OP.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
Thanks for the input guys/girls.

Sorry to derail the thread OP.

It reaffirms my belief that no matter what culture, society, or situation we're from we (people of Earth) have more in common than we have different. It bothers me a lot that we (again, people of Earth) spend so much time and effort on pointing at and blaming the differences when really all any of us wants is a good meal, good company, and someone to come home to.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The brits are obedient to their queen and swoon whenever they catch a glimpse of her in her rolls cowered in diamonds. Why would they need guns if they plan to stay that way?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
Except we use frying pans and baseball bats instead of guns

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merinda
The brits are obedient to their queen and swoon whenever they catch a glimpse of her in her rolls cowered in diamonds. Why would they need guns if they plan to stay that way?
Haven't met many Brits then lol

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Looks to me that people in the States do that alot more than us....

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by bates

Good job, a crowd beating a man to death and then puffing up and boasting about it.
If you like to practice on the homeless and helpless, the Fullerton Calif police department is looking for people just like you.
edit on 26-1-2013 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Does your logic here mean American gun ownership is purely about overthrowing their government..?

Regards
PDUK

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
reply to post by bates

Good job, a crowd beating a man to death and then puffing up and boasting about it.
If you like to practice on the homeless and helpless, the Fullerton Calif police department is looking for people just like you.
edit on 26-1-2013 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)
An unarmed group of customers tackling an armed robber with tragic consequences, oh dear what a shame. If only the guy hadn't attempted the robbery while carrying a gun then he would be alive today.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

the British Isles includes many islands such as the Isle of mann and Jersey / Guernsey / scottish Islands. Great Britain I think includes the channel islands and Northern Island.

Just to clear it up.

Great Britain comprises England, Wales, and Scotland.

The United Kingdom comprises Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are not part of Britain or the UK.

They are British Crown dependencies.

Thank you.

Carry on.
edit on 26-1-2013 by CJCrawley because: My geography teacher's middle name is Geoffrey

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Whilst the notion of Monarchy is a bit outdated in this day and age, that old dear is one hell of a tourist attraction - just ask the millions of Americans who stand slack jawed at the gates of Buckingham Palace each year.

It must be quite the shock for them to lay their eyes on some real history.
edit on 26-1-2013 by KingIcarus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

Does your logic here mean American gun ownership is purely about overthrowing their government..?
It seems so from every other thread I read on ATS, just the funniest part is they actually think a few rag-tag militants would actually be able to defeat their army, who will attack after their government brands the resistors as terrorists or whatever.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
England is an island with no borders and a goverment that is worded so that it can not be over thrown no matter what the people want. There is no threat of an invasion because for UK to fight a war on their own land would destroy the tiny island see WW1 and 2. There is no threat of invasion since any invasion would be by ship through the vast Atlantic you could see that coming from miles away and a "land" invasion would have to come through all of Europe before getting to UK again see WW1 and WW2. Now that UK has the defenses and allies/big goverments backing them they can strip the last bit of power from the people weapons the only tool to over throw a goverment. But the US is currently being invaded on the daily from south of the border and we have a northern neighbor that might turn on us. Now if Mexico declared war on the US for whatever reason the military would take too long before we could respond to it but if the citizens have weapons we could hold them off long enough till the big guns get to the border. It would takes weeks to respond to a mexican invasion via military but seconds to
Respond via militia and citizens because too few cops/agents to hold them off. Also we were given the 2nd amendment because our founding fathers knew we would have to revolt against our own goverment in time just like every other civilization ever created has had to do when they became too powerful. Don't compare US to UK because US was based on freedom and UK was based on doing what the royals say. UK =\= freedom

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingIcarus
It must be quite the shock for them to lay their eyes on some real history.
I've owned houses older than the US lol

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by bates

A masked gunman has died after being pinned down and restrained by customers during an armed robbery at a bookmakers in Plymouth.

If you had an equalizer in this equation, such as another firearm in the hands of a law-abiding customer in that store, they could have neutralized the situation without a death by forcing this old man to comply with their demands and await the Police. If there was a pistol carrying customer, that old man would still be alive right now.

The man, in his 50s... ...This is why us Brits are happy as we are, we're mad enough to just run at and tackle anyone who has a pop with a gun with nothing but our mad dog spirit.

Yea, we get it, you are extremely proud that you defeated an old man who then died because he was neutralized by extreme force rather than held at gun-point for police to arrive. Thats what Brits take pride in? Very disturbing indeed...

Come at us with a gun and we'll laugh in your face and wrestle you down.

If you are so bold to state "Come at us with a gun and we'll laugh in your face and wrestle you down", then why are you all so damned scared to death of an "evil" and "mean" looking OBJECT such as a gun?

And good grief, do you realize just how immature a comment like that really is?
edit on 26-1-2013 by ResistTreason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

I have no doubt what so ever that King George said the same thing. LoL

ETA - I have fought and bled with aussies, brits, scots, and americans. Each of them are my brother and I take great pride in that. I have nothing against any person (well one guy that took my girl when I was deployed, but thats another matter). What I do have an issue with is simple. People judge Americans based on the actions of a minute portion of our population, while glossing over their own domestic issues.
edit on 26-1-2013 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand
~snip~
It seems so from every other thread I read on ATS, just the funniest part is they actually think a few rag-tag militants would actually be able to defeat their army, who will attack after their government brands the resistors as terrorists or whatever.

It sounds crazy at first, when you think about American gun owners vs. the might of the US Armed Forces, and how that isn't even a match, but look at what we know....

a few rag-tag militants (in Afghanistan), fighting unconventionally, acting somewhat independently thwarted the USSR in their ambitions for 10 years, eventually sending them home.

Same guys have thwarted the mighty US for a similar amount of time now, and these guys have crap for numbers and crap for gear compared to us.

Now add to that the whole "domestic" angle of US soldiers killing US citizens, and it gets even uglier, considering the negative backlash it would have with the population, as well as the FACT that there would be many soldiers unwilling to do it, even switching sides.

I honestly don't see the military being able to "swoop in and defeat" an armed US population like everyone seems to think. It wouldn't be quick, it wouldn't be painless, and frankly, I don't think it would be possible.

YMMV

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
One thing i do know is that the American women prefer us brits they prefer our pardon the pun (guns)
to yours..
edit on 26-1-2013 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by denver22

Funny, I've seen brit and aussie women "fall over themselves" to get to our "guns"

That is a matter of having something different, not really solid evidence of superiority.

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join