Why us Brits don't need guns for protection

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by denver22

HELL...anything is possible in this country.

We even have ambulances that SERVE PIZZA!

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

Originally posted by grainofsand
I've walked past that bookies loads of times, know the area well, Plymouth folk are a different Devon breed...don't mess with the Janners if you don't want an old school battle

are you from Plymouth ? Do you remember the old man who tackled a young thug robbing a newsagent a few years ago - he was armed with a gun or a knife I think.
I remember that, was at Plym Uni then...I live in Torbay now though, little bit further east on the coast.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by HelenConway

We are already allowed to do those things....
Just get a gun licence, you need a police check and a place to keep it safely.
We just can't have handguns.
Gunsmith down the road from me..look.

www.aaronwheelergunsmith.co.uk...

We can have handguns if you are a shooting instructor not sure about the public side.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

So you want loads of different guns?....why? If you have a shotgun that would be fine detering any invader in the UK,
Good luck trying to protect yourself with a bow, get a crossbow instead, I have a pistol crossbow and it is sweet
(Just incase zombies come
)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
reply to post by grainofsand

Thank you for the knowledge.

We don't hear things like that in the States. We only see "lord" this and "earl" that.

We say Sir and Ma'am (at least polite people do), most of us here would have a huge issue calling anyone "lord". Maybe we are just too arrogant or maybe it's just a cultural norm. I really can't say.

lets be honest here you have just as many creepy people in America as we have here .. grovelling creepy people I mean.

More numbers wise even - similar I would guess percentage wise.

We are really very similar ..

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

So you want loads of different guns?....why? If you have a shotgun that would be fine detering any invader in the UK,
Good luck trying to protect yourself with a bow, get a crossbow instead, I have a pistol crossbow and it is sweet
(Just incase zombies come
)

yes yes that is what I meant a cross bow - is that legal ?
How can I get one of those and learn how to use it.
Thanks for your info BTW.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

HELL...anything is possible in this country.

We even have ambulances that SERVE PIZZA!

Split Infinity

How do you get 100 Americans into one box of Donuts?

Tell them there's only one left.

Go figure why the ambulance was rocking...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Buy one online and use it in your garden etc.
Get extra bolts and extra bowstrings..cost me less than 30 quid.

www.merlinarchery.co.uk...

Just be careful no one sees it and do not mess about with it, you can take a thumb off and shoot yourself If you are silly.
edit on 26-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

On occasion I have to travel from my home state of Massachusetts to Nevada and Arizona which for those who don't know...is one hell of a long way.

Of course I fly and when in these states anyone with a drivers licence can walk into a Gun Shop/Package Store and walk out with an AR-15 an AK-47 a few Handguns all the ammo you need....plus a 30 pack of Bud a bag of chips a Slim Jim and a Lottery Ticket! LOL!

No KIDDING!

Split Infinity....p.s....In Texas you can get the same things at the DRIVE THU!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Buy one online and use it in your garden etc.
Get extra bolts and extra bowstrings..cost me less than 30 quid.

www.merlinarchery.co.uk...

Just be careful no one sees it and do not mess about with it, you can take a thumb off and shoot yourself If you are silly.

thank you - I would want to join a club to learn how to use it properly. I do not want to do anything illegal.
I do not want to harm anyone or any animal - i just would like protection in my home in teh event that I may need in ie in a home invasion scenerio.

Plus archery might be a fun sport.
edit on 26-1-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by JrDavis

Originally posted by skalla
so much guff has been posted here since i went to make my cuppa that i dont know where to start

suffice to say that freedom is not defined by the relative availability and legislation regarding firearms, and throwing around your sacred terms like patriotism and constitution just shows how blinded and fooled the US people have become by the tools used for nation building, all pleasantly set up that way by the worshipful people who founded it. but dont think about how you could make things better for each other, just focus on guns, eh?
and people call us in the UK subjects

Funny how I never defined "Freedom" as the right to bear arm lol.

You are personally targeting Americans due to your own personal beliefs and jealousy.

The forefathers wrote the constitution with little room for Error.

If you tried to sit down and debate this (And the original constitution as a whole) you would lose.

Especially since the America that followed the constitution back then didn't struggle with these issues.

You wouldn't know though because your history class obviously didn't teach you that.
edit on 26-1-2013 by JrDavis because: (no reason given)

seeing as my post was not a reply "to you", it's a touch pointless to lol about things i never claimed that you said
and i am sorry you feel all attacked, i dont hate you or your country and would happily share my last biscuit with you, but if you dip it in your coffee there will be a bust up.

as for your constitution, my point is that, along with emotive terms like patriot and liberty, these cloud the ability to discuss US issues rationally as these things get trotted out like the holy grail and you all have to step into line and quote a bunch of old folk who set up the nation in their favour and screw the rest, lest your patriotic fellows think you need burning at the stake.

and no, i did not cover much US history when i studied at school and university (funnily enough including history), there is a whole world out there besides the USA, for real....
edit on 26-1-2013 by skalla because: paragraphism

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

What do you get when you put 32 Brits in a room?

A Full Set of TEETH! LOL!

Brush them damn things once in a while...will ya!!???

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConwayyes yes that is what I meant a cross bow - is that legal ?
How can I get one of those and learn how to use it.
Thanks for your info BTW.
Totally legal, I have a beautiful vintage Barnett Commando 150lbs xbow which will shoot bolts through lathe and plaster walls (discovered that when renovating a house some years ago) and is accurate within 6 inches at 50 yards.
I know one thing, if I'm stood at the top of my stairs it will be a brave or stupid invader who will be first up.

...if you can get an old Commando I'd recommend it, the snap cocking reload takes seconds, but parts are getting harder to source these days

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Maryland: If You Can Dream It, We Can Tax It, or so i told my American girlfriend

Iowa: We Do Amazing Things With Corn... i don't want to know ..

I just love Kentucky: Five Million People; Fifteen Last Names if the corn don't fit then the names do.

Washington, D.C.: Wanna Be Mayor? all are welcome we just need your money..

West Virginia: One Big Happy Family...Really!...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Archery is a fun sport, I was in an Archery club as a kid.
Plenty about If you look.
Oh and they are not illegal, just don't go walking about with it.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

What do you get when you put 32 Brits in a room?

A Full Set of TEETH! LOL!

Brush them damn things once in a while...will ya!!???
PMSL! I look like I'm from the US, paid for implants when my sweet eating habit ruined the originals
edit on 26-1-2013 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Archery is a fun sport, I was in an Archery club as a kid.
Plenty about If you look.
Oh and they are not illegal, just don't go walking about with it.
It's completely legal to walk around with an xbow uncovered if it isn't loaded - might attract attention but it is legal nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I visited england in 1993 and found your buildings and culture fascinating, although no offence but my ears dont understand the accent that well, my host family and i had a hard time communicating, but funny thing, i started talking with an english accent after being thre a week. Kinda catchy i guess. This whole gun thing is a huge misunderstanding. Like anything else we humans endeavor upon in life. I do believe something needs to be done about all weapons, but if we disarm, what about the next thing that might happen and were not ready for it. It's not because Americans are all bloodthirsty savages wanting guns to do bad things, most of us are good people. The problem lies with the deliberate trouble makers and the copy cats who are all showing sign of being angry or mentally ill because of some random causes in life. I applaud england for being rational enough to take guns away from everyone but theyre military in the sence you can handle yourselves responsibly. I think america needs to approach it differently though to honor the freedoms layed out by our nations founders because they had a good idea about how to run a nation.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I agree fully that we are a lot alike. We all come from the same stock if we look back far enough.

On topic - Does it not seem odd to anyone that "Brits don't need gun, we can kill without them" is an actual topic? Even with this posting, people here still say Americans are the violent ones.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
reply to post by grainofsand

Thank you for the knowledge.

We don't hear things like that in the States. We only see "lord" this and "earl" that.

We say Sir and Ma'am (at least polite people do), most of us here would have a huge issue calling anyone "lord". Maybe we are just too arrogant or maybe it's just a cultural norm. I really can't say.

The reason you tend to hear terms like 'Lord' or 'Earl' is probably because you're seeing a report on something in the House of Lords.

en.wikipedia.org...

It's basically just the Upper House of the British parliament.

It's hard to imagine how Britain must appear to people in America what with all our silly titles and procedures. It's worth remembering that these things are largely ceremonial and nods to Britain's long history more than anything else. I quite like it personally as it's very distinctive, but I can understand how it must seem confusing sometimes.

new topics
top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join