learn more

Why us Brits don't need guns for protection

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus

You are the kind I could share a pint with and enjoy the laughs (but I could be wrong)
.your not wrong.

The thing I love about aussie and brit women is there is very little work involved, but I'm sure you say the same about our American women.

True i'm seeing an american woman and once i show her my prime cut and wit theres no telling what she might do for me..

Let's try to stay on focus though. Brits don't need guns because they can kill with their bare hands.

Thats correct.

Brits like to "get wet" when they do their killing.
Sometimes.

American's prefer to defend themselves with a powerful tool that allows them to defend their lives from a safe distance.
Yeah..

Seems like Americans might just be the sane ones in the world after all.

Ahh but in britain, with the lack of guns and most burglaries going down to hand to hand combat
the chance of survival comes down to mostly wounds id take a flesh wound over a bullet
with my survival chances...

You arm the civilians then you also arm the criminals....
thus creating a vicious circle with lots of bodies in the morgue...

edit on 26-1-2013 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhynouk
I live in plymouth & have been in that bookies many times,i'm not suprised the guys jumped on him as there are quite a few big fella's that go in there regularly..

i guess they just went for him,it's a very brave thing to do

Nothing gets in the way of their races

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
reply to post by 200Plus

to be fair i wasnt sure which of us were being referred to lol

I'm still not sure.

Maybe it's both.

edit on 26-1-2013 by tjack because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by retirednature

They didn't beat a man to death, the cause of his death has not been released but they just pinned him down, he probably had a heart attack.

As for the OP, well I don't have much sympathy for bookmakers as they rob the poorest in society every day (all be it legally) and this man by the sounds of it may have been doing this out of pure desperation, probably another victim of the financial crisis.

To the gun issue, I think it has already been concluded many times on here that the American people feel the need to keep guns and activley want guns, wheras the British view point is that of the opposite. I can't see either view point changing any time soon.

Not sure if this is covered in later posts but he had a history dating back to 1976 of committing these types of offences.

Desperation due to the economic crisis is not accurate here - he was a career criminal, it would seem. This type of thing was an occupation for him and, being the type who'd try to intimidate law abiding people going about their business, warrants little sympathy.

Its certainly a sad way to end your life but it wasn't a simple case of someone just "snapping" in order to feed their family. It was a calculated decision, a gamble, if you like. He lost.

link   

Originally posted by tjack

Originally posted by grainofsand

Originally posted by tjack
What to you would be a sufficient implement to defend oneself from grave harm? A knife? Stick with a nail in it?

This is what I own in the UK, perfectly legal without any registration, bolts can be re-used multiple times, fast loader, and got a few spare lath's/prods plus strings for the future as parts are getting harder to source for this vintage beauty...

Oh man....do want!

That's the only thing I can think of, or maybe a bow and arrow, for home defense that would be "next best" compared to a firearm.

I'm not sure it would work so well for "the street" though.
Going back to the OP though, I live 30 miles from the place the robber died at, any gun crime here in seaside Devon is so rare you'd be thought of as scarily paranoid if you felt the need for a projectile weapon as norm...at home though is a different matter of course.
Barnett Commando, why the # did they stop making them? Brilliant design.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparta

Originally posted by rhynouk
I live in plymouth & have been in that bookies many times,i'm not suprised the guys jumped on him as there are quite a few big fella's that go in there regularly..

i guess they just went for him,it's a very brave thing to do

Nothing gets in the way of their races

thats what i was thinking,robbing a bookies is pretty hard as alot of people have a few drinks then go put a few bets on the football or the races.

would i have jumped him ?? not sure to be honest,depends how brave i was feeling at the time

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo

They didn't beat a man to death, the cause of his death has not been released but they just pinned him down, he probably had a heart attack.

As for the OP, well I don't have much sympathy for bookmakers as they rob the poorest in society every day (all be it legally) and this man by the sounds of it may have been doing this out of pure desperation, probably another victim of the financial crisis.

To the gun issue, I think it has already been concluded many times on here that the American people feel the need to keep guns and activley want guns, wheras the British view point is that of the opposite. I can't see either view point changing any time soon.

last time I checked, we Americans weren't excoriating you for not wanting guns. How about you return the courtesy and respect what OUR nation stands for!?

BTW... I HAVE seen many comments from Brits and Australians lamenting the fact that the violent crime rate is up DRAMATICALLY and that they've no way to protect themselves. So, although YOU may not want guns, be aware that a number of your fellow countrymen do - and it should be their right!

Speaking as a British citizen, I fully accept that the internal politics of the US are the business of its people and only its people.

I'm tired of people in this country expressing their irrelevant views on the US Constitution - its none of our business!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by denver22
~snip~

You arm the civilians then you also arm the criminals....

~snip~

That's where I beg to differ. The criminals are armed no matter what.

EVEN IF there were no guns in criminal or civilian hands (impossible, I might add), the criminals would have the upper hand by a mile, at least for me and lot's of older, weaker, slower, smaller, more trusting, etc. people.

250 lb thug with a 2x4, hell, nowadays even without the 2x4 is going to take me out every time in that scenario.

Sorry brother, no thanks. I'll stick with the 2nd until there's no more evil-doers.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo

BTW... I HAVE seen many comments from Brits and Australians lamenting the fact that the violent crime rate is up DRAMATICALLY and that they've no way to protect themselves. So, although YOU may not want guns, be aware that a number of your fellow countrymen do - and it should be their right!

Except that it isn't true. Crime rates have been falling for years in the UK :-

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I am relieved to see that I'm not walking into a UK Vs US thread. As an American, I respect British people who choose not to own a gun just as much as one who owns one, as long as they feel secure and don't impose their choices onto somebody else. I've noticed that, since the talk of gun control has heated up lately, there have been many whom aren't Americans that have felt the need to explain how tough, resilient, and mature they are without needing guns. And that's great. I can assure many that most Americans are doing fine without the little things that make other cultures who they are.

We are not a "gun loving culture"... Guns have just been a staple tool in our young culture's development (think of westward expansion). At this juncture in society, we are slowly learning to not need guns as much. The keyword is "learning". We need to naturally evolve into what we were meant to be, yet we are being told by our government and the powers that be that we are a sick culture who kills.

As soon as our "nanny" stops employing Munchausen control tactics on our people, then we will naturally learn for ourselves. Perhaps then we will be able to tackle armed foes like our tough, manly British brethren (lol, I kid
).

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I have just found out the gun used was a fake one.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Just watched report on BBC news, the pistol was an imitation but the customers were not to know and the police have not arrested any of them for that reason.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by bates
This is why us Brits are happy as we are, we're mad enough to just run at and tackle anyone who has a pop with a gun with nothing but our mad dog spirit.

This is one of the funniest, most absurd, most stupid lines ever to graze ATS.

I mean, it's fine to be proud of ones nation but this is complete blindness and ignorance.

Mad dog spirit... damn, I'm still laughing.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
just for the record, i'd like to state how much i enjoy the UK/US tussles on these threads, we all love a bit of a barney (and i dont mean that purple paedo dinosaur), its all good fun in my book

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

Never heard of Mad dogs and Englishmen then?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I have just found out the gun used was a fake one.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Real or not, them brits got mad dawg spirit.

In any other country in the world, people would have cried on the floor asking for help from the police but this is the UK and they don't need guns! Every single brit has a mad dog spirit able to defeat anyone welding a gun, also including a brit with a gun. Because face it, a brit with a gun in hand doesn't have his mad dog spirit anymore.

Someone stop me
edit on 26-1-2013 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bates

This may work on one 50 year old robber, but your government oppresses and financially RAPES you and yours every single day, and they know that there is nothing that you will or can do about it because you guys let them take the guns. The UK is the epitome of tyranny, and America isn't that far behind, but at least we still have a fighting chance. You know the old saying... I'd rather die free than live as a slave.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Guy was looking to scare people into doing what he wanted, he had no true intention of hurting anyone.
If he did, it would have turned out much differently. Kudos to the folks who tackled the guy, but they were lucky.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Merinda

Oh, so you get Coronations street and East Enders in the States too?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
reply to post by bates

This may work on one 50 year old robber, but your government oppresses and financially RAPES you and yours every single day, and they know that there is nothing that you will or can do about it because you guys let them take the guns. The UK is the epitome of tyranny, and America isn't that far behind, but at least we still have a fighting chance. You know the old saying... I'd rather die free than live as a slave.

wow, go develop that sense of perspective dude, and, yawn, we can have guns etc etc

clue yourself up....

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join