It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why us Brits don't need guns for protection

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
reply to post by denver22

Funny, I've seen brit and aussie women "fall over themselves" to get to our "guns"

That's called your wallet pal

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Haha I'm from Plymouth and I wouldn't try rob any store in west park! That guy deserved what he got

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

Originally posted by Merinda
The brits are obedient to their queen and swoon whenever they catch a glimpse of her in her rolls cowered in diamonds. Why would they need guns if they plan to stay that way?

Does your logic here mean American gun ownership is purely about overthrowing their government..?

Regards
PDUK

It should be purely about overthrowing an corrupt government or protecting yourself against foreign invasion, yes. Sadly some people there feel it should also be for protecting your tv set.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
the fact that he was "pinned down and restrained" suggests that he most likely died due to positional asphyxiation from being held face-down.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by retirednature

They didn't beat a man to death, the cause of his death has not been released but they just pinned him down, he probably had a heart attack.

As for the OP, well I don't have much sympathy for bookmakers as they rob the poorest in society every day (all be it legally) and this man by the sounds of it may have been doing this out of pure desperation, probably another victim of the financial crisis.

To the gun issue, I think it has already been concluded many times on here that the American people feel the need to keep guns and activley want guns, wheras the British view point is that of the opposite. I can't see either view point changing any time soon.

last time I checked, we Americans weren't excoriating you for not wanting guns. How about you return the courtesy and respect what OUR nation stands for!?

BTW... I HAVE seen many comments from Brits and Australians lamenting the fact that the violent crime rate is up DRAMATICALLY and that they've no way to protect themselves. So, although YOU may not want guns, be aware that a number of your fellow countrymen do - and it should be their right!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I hear people shouting about corruption in the uk government.....

P.S

9 trillion missing from your American gov! from your people.. corruption alert- alert
That's 9.0 on the 'Rictor corruption scale'..
edit on 26-1-2013 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

~tjack snipped the snarky comment about the Brits and their queen, bad form~

Does your logic here mean American gun ownership is purely about overthrowing their government..?

Regards
PDUK

It should be purely about overthrowing an corrupt government or protecting yourself against foreign invasion, yes. Sadly some people there feel it should also be for protecting your tv set.

I'm more concerned about the ability to defend myself and loved ones against a determined attacker. Not likely to happen to me, odds wise, but if I'm allowed the best tool for the job, I'll take it.

What to you would be a sufficient implement to defend oneself from grave harm? A knife? Stick with a nail in it?

Would you choose a wet blanket over a fire extinguisher to take on a defeat-able fire?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by denver22
I hear people shouting about corruption in the uk government.....

P.S

9 trillion missing from your American gov! from your people.. corruption alert- alert
That's 9.0 on the 'Rictor corruption scale'..
edit on 26-1-2013 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

...make that the "rectum" corruption scale, because brother, it feels like I have to bend over every year here, har har!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
So..Brits have courage..Americans have guns.

ok. give ya that.

But, in defense of gun ownership..its better to have guns than courage in a battlefield...
just saying (I know, strawman argument)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

You are the kind I could share a pint with and enjoy the laughs (but I could be wrong).

The thing I love about aussie and brit women is there is very little work involved, but I'm sure you say the same about our American women.

Let's try to stay on focus though. Brits don't need guns because they can kill with their bare hands. Brits like to "get wet" when they do their killing. American's prefer to defend themselves with a powerful tool that allows them to defend their lives from a safe distance.

Seems like Americans might just be the sane ones in the world after all.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by tjack
What to you would be a sufficient implement to defend oneself from grave harm? A knife? Stick with a nail in it?

This is what I own in the UK, perfectly legal without any registration, bolts can be re-used multiple times, fast loader, and got a few spare lath's/prods plus strings for the future as parts are getting harder to source for this vintage beauty...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by retirednature

They didn't beat a man to death, the cause of his death has not been released but they just pinned him down, he probably had a heart attack.

As for the OP, well I don't have much sympathy for bookmakers as they rob the poorest in society every day (all be it legally) and this man by the sounds of it may have been doing this out of pure desperation, probably another victim of the financial crisis.

To the gun issue, I think it has already been concluded many times on here that the American people feel the need to keep guns and activley want guns, wheras the British view point is that of the opposite. I can't see either view point changing any time soon.

last time I checked, we Americans weren't excoriating you for not wanting guns. How about you return the courtesy and respect what OUR nation stands for!?

BTW... I HAVE seen many comments from Brits and Australians lamenting the fact that the violent crime rate is up DRAMATICALLY and that they've no way to protect themselves. So, although YOU may not want guns, be aware that a number of your fellow countrymen do - and it should be their right!

Violent crime rate may go up, but fatalities go down.
basically, when nobody has a gun, people bonk each other over the head more readily with a understanding nobody is going to die from it.

Not saying that's better mind you..but just saying the comparison is apples to oranges.

And our nation stands for many things. Many amendments are good, some are meh..but the core founding ideal of the nation is the freedom of speech. Telling someone to stfu goes against the spirit of this country...its an ideal that needs to be global

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

Originally posted by tjack

This is what I own in the UK, perfectly legal without any registration, bolts can be re-used multiple times, fast loader, and got a few spare lath's/prods plus strings for the future as parts are getting harder to source for this vintage beauty...

Oh man....do want!

That's the only thing I can think of, or maybe a bow and arrow, for home defense that would be "next best" compared to a firearm.

I'm not sure it would work so well for "the street" though. A bit hard to conceal, and keeping it cocked and locked would just be plain scary.

edit on 26-1-2013 by tjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by denver22
reply to post by stirling

Missouri: Your Federal Flood Relief Tax Dollars At Work...
found your missing trillions yet?

Nope im a Canadian......but that doesnt mean i am any less dependant on the US Constitution holding back the tide of fascism sweeping the world...
The velvet glove is slipping off , exposing the iron fist beneath....
Without the armed citizen, America would already be worse than Germany of Hitlers day.
What happened to the British people?
One moment they were forcing the Magna Carta on their king, and the next they simply gave up their rights to self preservation.I cant understand why

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus

The thing I love about aussie and brit women is there is very little work involved, but I'm sure you say the same about our American women.

no one's gonna say thats a bad thing

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I live in plymouth & have been in that bookies many times,i'm not suprised the guys jumped on him as there are quite a few big fella's that go in there regularly..

i guess they just went for him,it's a very brave thing to do

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Seriously, are you trolling? The reason Brits don't have guns is because you are the most slave-like, supine, vassals to criminals on the planet. You let criminal bankers take over your country centuries ago, they used your people to create a global empire, and when it was no longer convenient they threw you away and decided to wipe you out with immigration, wars, and taxes. The fact you children don't arise and kill your oppressors shows what a slave nation you are.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by bates

Come at us with a gun and we'll laugh in your face and wrestle you down.

Bravado, you know... bravery is a fine thing. There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity...

I don't think Americans have ever been considered meek folk. Remember the bravest people in Europe got up and left. So I always thought it was the exact opposite. The European gene pool got really watered down because everyone with gumption and spirit left for the New World.

Anyhoo. I'm sure a You Tubes search could find Americans attacking armed people robbing their stores. Personally, if I was facing an armed man i would rather be armed. Bringing fists to a gun fight would be a last resort, not a first choice. IMHO

The problem with your logic is that you have no choice BUT to be unarmed,. So i can see how you would think it's brave to tackle an armed man. It makes you feel better. It makes you think your better because you gave up your rights to arms. Good for you. Live in your world. I'll live in mine.

V

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Nicorette

And Americans are different how?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

to be fair i wasnt sure which of us were being referred to lol

new topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join