Why us Brits don't need guns for protection

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+19 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

A masked gunman has died after being pinned down and restrained by customers during an armed robbery at a bookmakers in Plymouth.

The man, in his 50s, entered the Ladbrokes branch in Crownhill Road at 18:45 GMT on Friday wearing a gas mask and holding a pistol.

Police arrested the man, who was already unconscious, but he died a short time later at the scene.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is investigating.

Had a look for this couldn't find it anywhere etc etc.

I thought it was necessary to share this with the ATS community given the recent gun obsession on here.

This is why us Brits are happy as we are, we're mad enough to just run at and tackle anyone who has a pop with a gun with nothing but our mad dog spirit.

Come at us with a gun and we'll laugh in your face and wrestle you down.

One thing I would add though is I feel for the man who has died here (his family anyway), I don't condone his attempted crime but no one should lose their life like that.

+18 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by bates
www.bbc.co.uk...

A masked gunman has died after being pinned down and restrained by customers during an armed robbery at a bookmakers in Plymouth.

The man, in his 50s, entered the Ladbrokes branch in Crownhill Road at 18:45 GMT on Friday wearing a gas mask and holding a pistol.

Police arrested the man, who was already unconscious, but he died a short time later at the scene.

I thought it was necessary to share this with the ATS community given the recent gun obsession on here.

This is why us Brits are happy as we are, we're mad enough to just run at and tackle anyone who has a pop with a gun with nothing but our mad dog spirit.

One thing I would add though is I feel for the man who has died here (his family anyway), I don't condone his attempted crime but no one should lose their life like that.

1. It was a 50 yr old man. Not saying anything is wrong with that, but... lol. It does account for something

2. He was WEARING A GAS MASK, and I'm guessing could barely see a damn thing. Not necessarily always true, but those that I have worn certainly obstructed my view.

3. Good job, they beat a man to death. I don't know if you want an applause for that.

4. Just humor yourself and youtube "gas station gun fight" and see how it's really handled. Granted, clerks and innocent people do get hurt ever so often when the criminal gets off a lucky shot. But for the most part, guns save many people behind the register. As well, not all criminals really come in intending to shoot, or they just plain can't shoot.

Not impressed

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

They didn't beat a man to death, the cause of his death has not been released but they just pinned him down, he probably had a heart attack.

As for the OP, well I don't have much sympathy for bookmakers as they rob the poorest in society every day (all be it legally) and this man by the sounds of it may have been doing this out of pure desperation, probably another victim of the financial crisis.

To the gun issue, I think it has already been concluded many times on here that the American people feel the need to keep guns and activley want guns, wheras the British view point is that of the opposite. I can't see either view point changing any time soon.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by bates

huzzah!

i couldnt agree more

at the risk of trolling, i did (only half jokingly) suggest in another thread, that..

in the uk we are populated by the offspring of invaders and raiders who came specifically to conquer new lands - the first post ice agers; the celts; the romans; the angles, saxons and jutes (etc); the vikings and the normans. we love a good fight we do, and for a small nation we have been rather good at it over the years - maybe thats why we dont get so scared at shadows and dont feel we need guns when we go to tesco.
maybe the us feels different as you are made up of the huddled masses fleeing oppression (i could say rather than standing up to it, but thats just inflamatory ), hence the victim mentality?

but i was rather drunk at the time... still gotta wonder at the love of guns in the us, but then it's part of their history and mythology, we are very different countries and variety is the spice of life is it not?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
We don't need guns. The only predators that are out there are the occasional psychotic squirrel that's been eating too many mouldy acorns.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Agreed, desperation

Was there not a thread not long ago, where a a man in his 50s held up a bank?
He was desperate to get funds to pay for his dying wifes treatment which was not fundable here on the NHS
edit on 2012/06/12 by davesmart because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bates

I am as Brit as they get, and have a very nutty streak.

But I ain't running at a locked and loaded swat team, and I don't agree that we (Brits) have no need for guns and are content with that fact.

In truth, I suspect that when the dollar collapses, or Russia and/or China make a move is when TPTB will come down on freedom like a ton of bricks.

That means every U.N/E.U/NAFTA/NATO country will start a coordinated crack down on their populaces generally taken for granted liberties, and possibly working from a CIA produced list of possible dissidents to the new order of things.

I am very concerned about how limited my options to defend my family and myself are.

A tip for like-minded Brits- Get a decent crossbow or bow and get some practice,

A medium to long range weapon is key, your don't want to have to fend of a group with a baseball bat.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Soapusmaximus

If you are that concerned, get yourself a shotgun license and a shotgun but I suspect if they do police background checks as they should do and see a post like that, do not be suprised if your license is refused.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by bates
www.bbc.co.uk...

Just imagine for a minute that the gunman had not hesitated to shoot the men coming at him. Could have ended very differently. I think you are arguing a moot point sir.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Soapusmaximus

sigh.... anyone who is not "on the dodge" can own a firearm in the uk. this one has been done to death already....

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

Thats why i think he was desperate
He went into there for money for personal reasons
and i think he did not want to hurt anyone (thats no excuse though)

I ask myself, why would a 50 yr old man do that

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by bates

Frankly, for a considerably new founded country, we're quite barbaric in thought!
Let's see....UK has no guns and free health & education! (Not sure why America thinks its the best).

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   

and anyone pulling a gun can be shot by someone already holding a gun etc etc... the lack of guns we enjoy in comparison to the us may or may not have a connection to gun crime and turning schools into fortresses, but i like that not many britons get shot, and i like that most brits i know (and i have met a few thousand having lived here my whole life) couldnt give a fig about guns.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Why would anyone risk their lives over a bookies, which will be insured for these types of things. Just give him the money and I'm sure the police would have eventually got him. I can understand being a have a go hero, when its protecting an elderly or defenceless person, but not a business.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
reply to post by bates

huzzah!

i couldnt agree more

at the risk of trolling, i did (only half jokingly) suggest in another thread, that..

in the uk we are populated by the offspring of invaders and raiders who came specifically to conquer new lands - the first post ice agers; the celts; the romans; the angles, saxons and jutes (etc); the vikings and the normans. we love a good fight we do, and for a small nation we have been rather good at it over the years - maybe thats why we dont get so scared at shadows and dont feel we need guns when we go to tesco.
maybe the us feels different as you are made up of the huddled masses fleeing oppression (i could say rather than standing up to it, but thats just inflamatory ), hence the victim mentality?

but i was rather drunk at the time... still gotta wonder at the love of guns in the us, but then it's part of their history and mythology, we are very different countries and variety is the spice of life is it not?

Historically speaking, I think you've got it a little mixed up.

See, our gun culture is a bit like your "Royalty" culture. they're both something we each take a certain amount of historical, nationalistic pride in.

You may recall that it was our guns that freed us from a kind of tyranny which apparently the people around here at that time had had enough of, and without them, we would still be subjects (citizens, whatever you prefer) of that system.

Thanks to guns and men with big balls (not huddled masses), that tyranny was overthrown, and quite soundly I might add.

To true patriots, this is one of the reasons that guns are held in such high regard, and worth fighting for even to this day. We owe a debt of blood to those that defended our ideas before, and it will be paid whenever required.

It's part of our genes as much as your Celts, Romans, Angles, Saxons and Jutes are part of yours.

Nice work though, seriously, flesh vs. gun doesn't usually turn out as it did in this particular case, although I guess I was under the mistaken impression that bad guys in Britain were only there to steal money or material goods, so it would seem to me that "pinning him down" to death was, shall we say, overkill?

edit on 26-1-2013 by tjack because: (no reason given)
edit on 26-1-2013 by tjack because: changed "beating" to "pinning him down"....better?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
So because "Brits" tackle and restrain a man you think that you do not need the ability to use firearms to defend yourself from tyranny let alone any type of criminal activity?

Will you be tackling a thug that breaks into your house with weapons and wants to raid it?

Will you be tackling people when you see a heist going on down town?

How about those tackle tactics with an oppressive Government.

I kinda take offense to this post.

Did everyone forget the whole purpose of the Boston Tea party?

You sit here and try to justify that the "Brits" don't need guns because they can apprehend people.

Well our forefathers fought for freedom and enacted us to have the ability to defend ourselves.

The 2nd Amendment was enacted for a reason my friend.

Our forefathers knew then and they would know now.

Enough of the shenanigans; You can stay over in Britain with your ninja skills and we will use more logical ways to defend against technologically advance Governments.

There's a reason why law enforcement uses "Force" especially with firearms.

Can't even believe you got SnF for this.

Good day Sir.
edit on 26-1-2013 by JrDavis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

yeah, er humour? or is that humor? dont take it so hard

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by skalla

and anyone pulling a gun can be shot by someone already holding a gun etc etc... the lack of guns we enjoy in comparison to the us may or may not have a connection to gun crime and turning schools into fortresses, but i like that not many britons get shot, and i like that most brits i know (and i have met a few thousand having lived here my whole life) couldnt give a fig about guns.

I just think this story a poor example of why "people do not need guns." I was taught from an early age that you never, ever pull a gun out unless you are absolutely ready to use it. This man was obviously in the wrong frame of mind for that, and was wrestled down. If you think for a moment though about if he had been mentally prepared to take another life, we would be reading a news story about a mass shooting instead of a foiled robbery.

Guns are alot like the cops, everyone likes to hate on them until they need one.
edit on 26-1-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by retirednature

They didn't beat a man to death, the cause of his death has not been released but they just pinned him down, he probably had a heart attack.

As for the OP, well I don't have much sympathy for bookmakers as they rob the poorest in society every day (all be it legally) and this man by the sounds of it may have been doing this out of pure desperation, probably another victim of the financial crisis.

To the gun issue, I think it has already been concluded many times on here that the American people feel the need to keep guns and activley want guns, wheras the British view point is that of the opposite. I can't see either view point changing any time soon.

They probably did give him a heart attack, and I'm not suggesting that there isn't a notion of justice behind this in a Judge Dredd sort of fashion.

This event even being brought into the discussion of the 'gun debate' of America is inappropriate regardless. It's just a cheap shot, by an individual who has no role in American politics. Darn 'Britts' don't know when to quit trying to influence, control, or reform the US lol.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join