Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Possible Ley Line explanation, road map in the sky?

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Basic explanation of what a Ley Line is:

Ley line

Ley lines are alleged alignments of a number of places of geographical and historical interest, such as ancient monuments and megaliths, natural ridge-tops and water-fords. The phrase was coined in 1921 by the amateur archaeologist Alfred Watkins, in his books Early British Trackways and The Old Straight Track. He sought to identify ancient trackways in the British landscape. Watkins later developed theories that these alignments were created for ease of overland trekking by line-of-sight navigation during neolithic times, and had persisted in the landscape over millennia.[1]

Basic visual representation of Ley Lines:

Link and comment from website that outlines the obviousness of ancient monuments and the stars:

ircamera.as.arizona.edu...

Key points: Why ancient humans pursued astronomy; apparent motions of stars and planets on the sky; examples of major astronomical monuments

Possible explanation for these monuments falling on 'ley lines':

Solunar theory
en.wikipedia.org...

The solunar theory is a hypothesis that animals and fishes move according to the location of the moon in comparison to their bodies.[1] The theory was laid out in 1926 by John Alden Knight, but was said to be used by hunters and fishermen long before the time it was published.[1]

Dung Beetles Follow the Milky Way: Insects Found to Use Stars for Orientation
www.sciencedaily.com...

The scientists suspect the beetles have a hierarchy of preference when it comes to available light sources. So if the moon and the Milky Way are visible at the same time, the beetles probably use one rather than the other.

A few other animals have been proven to use stars for orientation, but the dung beetle is the first animal proven to use the galaxy.

Conclusion:

Is it possible that these structures were built on apparent 'lines' that circle the globe, due to our rotation around our axis and the lights in the sky aka Sun, Moon and Stars, possibly even planets?

edit on 26-1-2013 by retirednature because: sp in title

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I think that could deffinately be one conclusion to the positioning of some ancient monuments, i.e the great pyramid. However I happen to have a lot of dolmen's around my area and cairns and I have always believed they were put there due to certain energies the land in that area gives off.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I did a search on visual-spatial memory on google scholar, and found more credible evidence of this theory. This time, involving ants:

link.springer.com...

For navigation, desert ants apply piloting and dead-reckoning strategies based on terrestrial and celestial visual cues, respectively. Visual spatial memories, rather than general concepts derived from landmark constellations, are most probably used to define points on earth by nearby landmarks. The visual field of a specialized dorsal part of the ant's retina is mapped on to the celestial sphere to consider the possibility that similar mechanisms are used to define directions on earth by exploiting skylight patterns present at infinity.

There are multiple other articles that I wish I had the money to pay for, that would help prove my theory.

Their abstracts can be and pdfs can be found here:

scholar.google.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

i found ley lines fascinating since a young age, and since then my views have ranged from the mystical earth serpent and rings around the world type to the (slightly) more mundane.

i found the picture of the globe that you posted somewhat interesting - now i know that lines in the uk have been dowsed with supposed positive and negative waves connecting at marked points, and that some have been suggested to "resurface" abroad (eg IIRC the michael/mary line that goes through cornwall/ southern england and resurfaces somewhere near st petersburg) but is there really any decent evidence that they circle the globe?
there are apocryphal tales of the druids saying there were 13 (or 7!) major lines around the world but seeing as it was an oral tradition and so much BS is written about the druids i seriously doubt this.

now i'm a bit older and more reticent to accept the fantastic so easily, but i do still tend to believe that they were of spiritual significance and having visited a great many sites that fall on such lines i have felt energies there, the question for me is wether ancient britons found these energies and then built according to them, or instead built along lines for reasons of "dominating"/owning the land and then their ritual behaviours and beliefs then embued the sites with energy.

i'm still not sure about the dowsing though, and remain to be convinced of their existence out side of megalithic europe....

sorry, i've rambled a bit, probably as i used to love this subject many years ago and havent thought about it much for quite a long time - ypu put forwards an interesting theory and link some interesting info to connect the dots
but i feel that they were created more along the lines of owning a landscape, and putting one's mark on it as a culture..... afterall many of the sites of markers are geographical and not simply "placed".

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Yip I totaly agree with the evidence you put forth for insects, fish and other creatures using constellations to navigate the globe, however have you been to an area known as being on a ley line??

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   

I'm more or less referencing the movement of the sun across the horizon through out the year, which is represented above. The part to take in account for is that instead of being completely circular around the globe like in the image, they would be on a more 'diagonal' path as time progressed through out the year. If that makes sense lol.

Also, times of interest such as equinoxes and solstices would help further strengthen and shape particular 'rings' around the globe that these 'ley lines' fall on. I should have included in this in the OP lol.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whosthatgirl
Yip I totaly agree with the evidence you put forth for insects, fish and other creatures using constellations to navigate the globe, however have you been to an area known as being on a ley line??

No I have not.

What I'm presenting is not to remove or discount any claims of 'spiritual energy' or super metaphysical relationship with Ley Lines. Nor is it my aim to really address this area. Although I do support the theories, I just believe that there's a much larger picture that comes into play that parallels this theory when it comes to explaining the significance of these areas. It's all about the geometry of the harmonizing spheres type of thing.

edit on 26-1-2013 by retirednature because: additional comment

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
where are you from OP, do you have any info re "ley" lines or similar where you live? ( i assume you are not from the uk as you say you have not visited these sites, and we are overflowing with them!).

do you think it's possible that this was a natural or instinctive way to mark routes while making an imprint of a cultures ownership of/integration with a landscape?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
where are you from OP, do you have any info re "ley" lines or similar where you live? ( i assume you are not from the uk as you say you have not visited these sites, and we are overflowing with them!).

do you think it's possible that this was a natural or instinctive way to mark routes while making an imprint of a cultures ownership of/integration with a landscape?

I think it is 100% natural, instinctive, or intrinsic on the most primitive of cognitive origins.

I suggest that not only has the brain only evolved for movement and motor skills, but that spatial memory and cognitive mapping using visual spatial memory has played a large role in our consciousness that had arisen from said brain. Which then supports not only Ley Lines, and our motor skills and movement, but possibly our previous worship of them.

Well, some conspirators would still suggest that many still practice celestial worship, but maybe for a different thread.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

Isn't Watkins assertion the simplest and most beneficial? Ley Lines are just roads, canals, dried up river beds, streams etc. The monuments were there because its better to build a structure near a road or route.

Will

new topics

top topics

join