It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

you bought the wrong gun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Mod Edit: Removed Off Topic Comments

Wow, okay. I found this very entertaining. It was obviously written by a bunch of fanboys. Give everyone a gun they hate and have them write a review. Personally I think they should have added that a Glock is really just a grenade that happens to fire bullets when it is not working. And the AR15 is really just a complex puzzle that you have to clean that doubles as a gun.
Got your own gun review?
So without further ado

www.expeditionportal.com...
www.armedpolitesociety.com...
www.calguns.net...

Unfortunately I didn't write this.

After some years now of reading internet bulletin boards, I think I've got the pros and cons of possible SHTF rifle choices figured out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the following is my analysis based upon the wisdom of numerous gun board gurus(you know them, they're always the first ones to tell you a particular model gun is "junk" and enlighten you as to why they have made the only logical purchases)...

The AR 15:
Great, awesome, unbelievable rifle(when it works). Can hit a fly in the butt at 300 yards (when it works). If one is ever attacked by a pack of feral poodles post-SHTF, this is the perfect defensive rifle (unless it jams, in which case you're poodle food). The upside is that one can hang more plastic aftermarket doo-dads on it than a Christmas tree, which may effectively frighten away bad guys when the gun jams. Also, by simply changing the upper, one can convert it into a Ruger 10/22, a crossbow,or an air rifle.

The MINI-14:
Could be a good rifle, but it's not black.

The SKS:
Best obsolete rifle ever made (even if it isn't black, but you can buy a black aftermarket stock that looks kinda like an AR). If you need to lay in a big mud puddle and shoot at bad guys, this is the rifle to have. It will shoot as well as ever (maybe even better) when full of mud and the ten round mag makes puddle shooting a breeze since unlike hi-cap mags, you can hold the rifle upright in prone (mud puddle) position. Major drawback is that everyone knows that in a post-SHTF situation one must immediately fire thousands of rounds, a task for which a fixed ten round magazine is ill equipped, which is why they invented the AK. You can buy aftermarket hi-cap mags, but they often jam, creating the illusion that one is shooting an AR when combined with a nifty aftermarket stock. Other major drawback is that the 7.62 x 39 round is not .223 or .308.

Like I said, I didn't write this. All those people I linked to- they didn't write it either.
edit on 1/26/2013 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
The Concussion of the AR-15 alone would have knocked the school shooter out.

I was at a range near one of those and someone let loose on a far bigger gun later. My chest was queasy after 20 minutes of that force of gun compressions in an enclosed space.

Good luck firing that AR-15 off successfully in a closed room space without ear muffs..

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
AR-15s are very reliable, thank you very much and the piston versions are even more so reliable. The lack of reliability stems from issues with bad ammo during vietnam and some horror stories that came out of the middle east theatre recently but were mostly unsubstantiated or the result of poor maintenance/training.

Mini -14s are less reliable and use a proprietary magazine where as AR-15s use very common STANAG magazines which are easier to procure.

SKS is a great rifle but only holds 10 rounds. It's very reliable but optics are difficult to mount on the weapon because of a lack of scope mounts. 7.62x39 is a very effective round and easy to come by so that is actually a plus.

There are some folks out there that will pretend to know what they are talking about when it comes to firearms but most people are very ignorant when it comes to gun knowledge. It's ok if you dont know guns but just be honest, dont pretend to know what you are talking about because you will come off looking foolish. The best thing to do if you are interested in learning to shoot and/or buying your own weapons is to talk to people you know that do own guns and do your own research. 99.9% of gun owners are friendly, helpful people who like to talk about guns so dont feel threatened or nervous about asking questions.
edit on 26-1-2013 by Nicks87 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Nicks87

After reading that reply it is clear that you know waaaaaay more about guns than you do about humor. Its cool, but in case you missed that little hint the entire thing is really a big joke.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
that was almost moderately funny, but far more entertaining was people not even realising it

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nicks87
~snip~

There are some folks out there that will pretend to know what they are talking about when it comes to firearms but most people are very ignorant when it comes to gun knowledge. It's ok if you dont know guns but just be honest, dont pretend to know what you are talking about because you will come off looking foolish.

~snip~

So true. Like everyone in mainstream media reporting.

Those black guns they keep demonizing are as much true "high-powered assault rifles" as a stock Dodge Neon with an aftermarket bolt-on spoiler, low profile tires, and a fart-can muffler is a true "race car".

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicks87

The SKS only holds 10 rounds?

That looks like a 30 round mag to me..

SKS Pros:

They are cheap as dirt.. You can pick one up for next to nothing and it's IMHO equally as reliable as an AK-47...
edit on 31-1-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by Nicks87

SKS Pros:

They are cheap as dirt.. You can pick one up for next to nothing and it's IMHO equally as reliable as an AK-47...

HA!!!!!! SKS rifles in all flavors, are pushing the $600 mark, right now in Florida...

Dirt cheap"??? I wish I still had all of the ones that I paid less then $100, for...

And, yes...The "factory" magazine can be removed and aftermarket SKS mags, can be bought in 20,30, 40, 50, 75 and 100 round capacities! (I think I got all of them...)
edit on 1/31/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Man am I this stupid really? This is a very very funny thread. Ha ha.
"The mouse is quick but the owl can see in the dark"...Chip to Ricky Bobby.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by Nicks87

SKS Pros:

I think-I hope he means he can only get them with the 10 rounds because of the laws.
Personally Im happy with my 5 round clip.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
reply to post by Nicks87

After reading that reply it is clear that you know waaaaaay more about guns than you do about humor. Its cool, but in case you missed that little hint the entire thing is really a big joke.

Okay yeah I missed the humor but I thinks it is important to set people on the right track when it comes to firearms. There are just way too many people out there that like to perpetuate lies/myths about guns.

And yes an SKS comes from the factory with a 10rnd magazine but they can be modified to accept larger magazines.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicks87

Okay yeah I missed the humor

You didn't read it...
Originally I posted this in the entirety but some felt that saying that you did not write something before you put it up is "plagiarism". So I had to limit it to a few paragraphs and provide a link to someone else saying they didn't write it-just like I did originally.
edit on 1-2-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
First rifle I ever bought was an SKS 7.62, and I bought a thousand rounds of ammo for it for 100 bucks, the gun was only 179.99 and this was back in 1994..

The next day I had to drive up to Canada accross the border, I remembered to leave the gun at home, but forgot about the case of ammo which tipped over and spilled all over the back seats and the floor, but I didn't notice the ammo till I was right there at the customs official's window..

They took a peek in and saw all that ammo and asked if I had any firearms with me, and I replied no, and then they wished me a good day and to drive safely

Now they would surround your car and light you up like a christmas tree...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Lol great post the first round I fired out of the AR I used to have failed to eject after that over 4000 rounds down range without a failure great platform.. I do love the mini 14 also though now that's a battle rifle

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by geocom
Lol great post the first round I fired out of the AR I used to have failed to eject after that over 4000 rounds down range without a failure great platform.. I do love the mini 14 also though now that's a battle rifle

Yeah I have a few "battle rifles" and they are totally, 2 of them have actually been to war. But they are not black one of the things I really like about it is that I can say clip and watch people try to explain to me that it is a "magazine" then I get to slap them in the face and tell them that THEY are the idiot and I use a clip- not a magazine.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

It ought to be because there are plenty of black Mini 14s.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

It ought to be because there are plenty of black Mini 14s.

Asperger's ?
It is a joke, why so serious?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
SKS Great as is.
Bone stock and great

Bullpup conversion SKS by SHERNIC.....
Absolute thing of beauty.
Promo video

edit on 5-2-2013 by Retikx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
The big problems with the AR15s are bad gun smiths, parts guns, and junk after market products.

Yes these ARs do not work right

But good makers build good ARs and they are very dependable.

With the high demand right now there are a lot of bad gun builders working in there garages building junk.

Make sure if you are buying a new AR that its built by a will known company and not a parts gun built with something like a bushmaster lower.

Bushmaster and some other companies sell guns they build, but they also sell lowers to other builders that build parts guns. If the parkerizing is different shades on different parts its a good sign its a parts gun.
bushmaster and the other companies that sell lowers keep records of these lowers and do not do warranty work on guns built with these lowers.
edit on 5-2-2013 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

top topics

join